PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Extension Table

Oldneweng
5th Jan 2016, 08:44 PM
A small modification to the bandsaw.

Top view. It is made from a bit of 10mm plate that was galvanised. I faced the top and some of the bottom. Put a bit of an angle on the end to get it closer to the saw edge. 12mm tapped holes for clamping. I wanted to tap the holes 1/2" 13 tpi to match the milling clamp studs, but the only tap I have to suit is a cheap one from a carbon steel set which I had no intention of using. The cost and time to get hold of one made me decide to use 12mm instead.

Underneath view. The mounting block was milled on an angle to match the edge of the saw. I started the drill hole (using clearance size drill) for mounting to the saw while it was all clamped together with a length of 50 x 50 x 4mm RHS clamped in the saw vice and the extension clamped to it. I then removed everything and drilled with the tapping drill and tapped the holes. Clamping and bolting it all back together again to locate the top plate on the block, I decided that tacking with the mig was the only easy way to hold the bits for drilling. Then it was a simple matter to decide to just weld it. That way I could use the holes for the clamp bolts.:rolleyes:

The extension in use to cut the tapered bits for my taper removal tool. Worked like a charm.

Dean

KBs PensNmore
5th Jan 2016, 10:11 PM
Hi Dean,
Not a bad idea,:2tsup: Have seen one, that actually fitted between the vise jaws, that used the clamps the same way.
Kryn

Michael G
6th Jan 2016, 06:55 AM
Nice idea. Would save a lot of the stuffing around that I do to cut similar types of material.
I have a 1/2 -13 tpi tap somewhere if you want to put a second row of holes in

Michael

Oldneweng
6th Jan 2016, 10:15 AM
Hi Dean,
Not a bad idea,:2tsup: Have seen one, that actually fitted between the vise jaws, that used the clamps the same way.
Kryn

That would be another way to do it. I have tried to use a clamp (c or f) on the narrow outer section of table in the past, but the underneath of the casting is open and needs to have a plate across it to clamp on. This becomes awkward. You need more hands. I have a scrap of steel that has tabs for temporary mounting, but found the whole concept limiting. I have seen a mod with a plate permanently attached for this reason. I decided my idea would do the job. I have also considered drilling/tapping holes on the other side of the blade for milling clamps as well. Another mod I have seen.

Nice idea. Would save a lot of the stuffing around that I do to cut similar types of material.
I have a 1/2 -13 tpi tap somewhere if you want to put a second row of holes in

Michael

Thanks for the offer Michael, but I think I will stick with the 12mm holes. I might get confused with 2 hole sizes. :rolleyes: I could turn some studs with 12mm at one end and 1/2 -13 tpi at the other. Hopefully they would stay with the saw, or at least be memorable enough that I can find them. :D The caps bolts may get used somewhere else.

The milling clamps were purchased with my mill. They were on special. Had I thought about it, I may have opted to go for 12mm stud clamps. My brother recently bought another set for me as he was coming down from Adelaide. This set has a metal rack instead of the usual plastic one. This set has obviously been around for a long time. The box looked old and the metal rack has a little flight (?) rust on it. The parts were well wrapped and in perfect condition tho.

The one possible issue with this extension is that there may be occasions when I am cutting an odd shaped item that needs to hang down over the edge. The extension is easily removed tho. It only needs aligning flat to the saw surface when it is replaced.

Dean

Grahame Collins
6th Jan 2016, 10:26 AM
Hi Dean,
That bandsaw saw mod looks like it will be worth its weight in gold. An excellent idea.
It appears it will handle those very short pieces that can't be easily cut due to the inability of the jaws to hold them.Same principle as the Drill press finger,we saw here not so long ago.It shouldn't be long until we see it in Homemade Tools.:2tsup:

What is the name for the tapered hold down block and its stepped, mated fitting, I will look for them for myself, but don't know the name of what I should be asking for.You have said its from a set of mill hold downs, but wonder can it be obtained as a single unit?

I have an aluminum table permanently mounted on the bearing guide assembly for vertical mode free hand cutting which doesn't interfere with any clearances ( to date) when in the horizontal position. The addition of a horizontal outboard table would extend the bandsaw's capabilities just that little bit further.

Thanks
Grahame

Oldneweng
6th Jan 2016, 12:09 PM
Hi Dean,
That bandsaw saw mod looks like it will be worth its weight in gold. An excellent idea.
It appears it will handle those very short pieces that can't be easily cut due to the inability of the jaws to hold them.Same principle as the Drill press finger,we saw here not so long ago.It shouldn't be long until we see it in Homemade Tools.:2tsup:

What is the name for the tapered hold down block and its stepped, mated fitting, I will look for them for myself, but don't know the name of what I should be asking for.You have said its from a set of mill hold downs, but wonder can it be obtained as a single unit?

I have an aluminum table permanently mounted on the bearing guide assembly for vertical mode free hand cutting which doesn't interfere with any clearances ( to date) when in the horizontal position. The addition of a horizontal outboard table would extend the bandsaw's capabilities just that little bit further.

Thanks
Grahame

Clamp straps and step blocks are names I found. See

6PCE 12mm T Slot Zinc Coated Milling Step Block Clamping SET | eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/58PC-12mm-1-2-T-Slot-M10-Stud-Milling-Machine-Clamping-kit-Step-Block-/321671831176?hash=item4ae5229e88:g:tncAAOSwPcVVkUjE (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/58PC-12mm-1-2-T-Slot-M10-Stud-Milling-Machine-Clamping-kit-Step-Block-/321671831176?hash=item4ae5229e88:g:tncAAOSwPcVVkUjE)

The first set may suit what you want depending on size. Bear in mind that I paid $100 for a 58 piece set as opposed to $37 for a 6 piece set. My set is a bigger size than these. The sets linked to both have 10mm studs. These sets have 24 studs in different lengths as opposed to 2 for the little sets. Maybe pointless if you have no need tho.

You can choose any size you want of course. I went 12mm studs because that suited my clamp straps. I think 8mm studs would be strong enough for band saw use.

Dean

kwijibo99
6th Jan 2016, 12:10 PM
G'day Grahame,
You can get these table clamps as pairs for $37.00 on eBay:

6PCE 12mm T Slot Zinc Coated Milling Step Block Clamping SET | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6Pce-12mm-T-Slot-Zinc-Coated-Milling-Step-Block-Clamping-Set-/391345029083?hash=item5b1dfb3fdb:g:CU0AAOSwnGJWTF4U)

But the full sets for $95.00 are probably better value:

58PCE 12mm T Slot Milling Step Block Clamping KIT | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/58Pce-12mm-T-Slot-Milling-Step-Block-Clamping-Kit-/351608716675?hash=item51dd833d83:g:Om4AAOxy63FStXb1)

Cheers,
Greg.

Oldneweng
6th Jan 2016, 12:55 PM
I have a 3mm steel table that can be screwed on like that. The original is pathetic and was bent. You can see one of the stainless holding screw heads in the last of my pictures. They have been screwed back in because when I wanted to use them a week or so ago, I had to go and find some more. My table is about 200mm square and way too big to stay on. I have seen mods with tables that stay on. One problem with my table is that the slot is only about the width of the blade and so is fiddly to slide past the blade. I need to widen it. I don't have a problem with taking it off/on other than that, as I use a cordless impact driver for that sort of thing. Very fast.

I have had trouble finding suitable allen bits in 1/4" hex to suit tho. I am trying to get the longer locking type because I am tired of picking the short ones off the floor etc. Allen type bits tend to lock in the bolt and can take a bit to remove. This often results in the bit going awol. I am trying to stick to locking type with all bits. I have many locking type holders with screwdriver handles, impact drivers and extensions.

I have been told by a salesman that they can only get decent allen type bits in a square drive socket form. This would require a square drive adaptor, which I have in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch, but they may still get dropped as there is no positive locking mechanism. 5mm allen bits are readily available in the locking type as these are used quite a lot for tek screws. I already have one of these.

Any Ideas?

Dean

Oldneweng
6th Jan 2016, 01:09 PM
I forgot I was going to ask you what the bolt etc arrowed in the following picture was Grahame.

My link that disappeared from my post (#6), is still awol so I will try again here.

58pc 12mm 1 2" T Slot M10 Stud Milling Machine Clamping KIT Step Block | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/58PC-12mm-1-2-T-Slot-M10-Stud-Milling-Machine-Clamping-kit-Step-Block-/321671831176?hash=item4ae5229e88:g:tncAAOSwPcVVkUjE)This one is only $90.

If you ever want them for milling work you need the right size to suit the mill table slots. The 12mm suits my mill with 16mm slots, as does the 1/2 - 13 tpi.

Dean

Grahame Collins
6th Jan 2016, 01:51 PM
Hi Dean,

Thank you muchly for that feedback

The part arrowed is the mount bolt for a yet uncompleted hydraulic down feeder. I made it from copper tube and brass plumbing fittings,
The problem was/ still is, I don't have access to oxy acetylene any more and the mass of the copper tube and brass fittings dissipates the heat so :doh:silver solder will not take.

Maybe into the future I'll get back to it.

Yep! mega failure :no: on that particular project,so it is relegated to the the most rear of my back burners,:?

Grahame

Oldneweng
6th Jan 2016, 01:56 PM
Hi Dean,

Thank you muchly for that feedback

The part arrowed is the mount bolt for a yet uncompleted hydraulic down feeder. I made it from copper tube and brass plumbing fittings,
The problem was/ still is, I don't have access to oxy acetylene any more and the mass of the copper tube and brass fittings dissipates the heat so :doh:silver solder will not take.

Maybe into the future I'll get back to it.

Yep! mega failure :no: on that particular project,so it is relegated to the the most rear of my back burners,:?

Grahame

Maybe I should not have brought it up. :D Hydraulic down feeder crossed my mind, but I was not thinking along the lines of WIP. I also have one of these in the pipeline, but I have not yet actually done anything about it so don't feel too bad. :wink:

Dean