PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays?

neksmerj
24th Dec 2015, 11:47 PM
The opening banner says Happy Holidays, who's getting to the forum administrators.

It should read Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ken

BaronJ
25th Dec 2015, 03:49 AM
Seasons Greetings Ken,

Since you mentioned forum administrators, they deserve our best wishes too and thanks for keeping things running.

Merry Christmas everybody. :partysmiley: :bestwishes:

Steamwhisperer
25th Dec 2015, 06:05 AM
The opening banner says Happy Holidays, who's getting to the forum administrators.

It should read Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ken

I'm a little confused Ken, was Jesus born or did he take a holiday. :D:D

Phil

Auskart
25th Dec 2015, 06:19 AM
Yes definately should be Merry Christmas, this is Australia. Sick of all the Politically correct BS so as to not offend minority groups !!!

sacc51
25th Dec 2015, 09:50 AM
Some figures on Australian religious demographics::

Christianity 61%
None 22%
Not stated 8%
Remainder 9%

As one of the 22% who was brought up as a 61%er I take no insult or offence from those words! I do however take great offence from the words ‘Happy Holiday’.

Happy Holidays indeed!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Grow some!

A Duke
25th Dec 2015, 10:24 AM
:q

P/s Read 2016 not 2013 :wink:

Stustoys
25th Dec 2015, 11:08 AM
I think you're being a tough.
If someone wants to say happy holidays, then good for them.
Like it or not over the next week many(most?) people will be on holidays, most people will celebrate a new year and most people will celebrate Christmas. The banner has all three.. so you're complaining about font size?

Merry Happy Christmas Seasons Holidays Greetings ...... see what I did there? ;)

P/s Read 2016 not 2013 :wink:
Void, If you look carefully its clearly been altered. ;)

chambezio
25th Dec 2015, 11:25 AM
Yes I whole heartedly agree that the greeting should be "Merry Christmas" or "happy Christmas". We are losing our "Australianess" every day because we are so bombarded with "American" phrases. We need to think before we something to make sure its "Australian"- cobber, mate, bluey, curl......These are the words that would have been about when ourforebares were building this great country of ours. We should be proud of these names/phrases and try to use them instead of the "Americanisms" that are so prevalent.

So...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOUS ALL....mate, buddy, pal, chum...
pick the imports:D

bwal74
25th Dec 2015, 01:19 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. I hope you have a safe and happy holiday.

Ben.
(Yep I'm still around just been quiet).

sacc51
25th Dec 2015, 01:35 PM
It’s not really about whether we say Happy Holidays or Merry Xmas, what it is about is being urged to use the greeting Happy Holidays in place of Merry Xmas all in the name of political correctness, all for fear of upsetting the 9% minority. Our governments, councils, schools and so on have been pushing this agenda for some time now, but the question must be asked 'why did the question arise in the first place? If I was to complain about such tidings/greetings as Eid Mubarak, or Happy Vesak Day, or Shabbat Shalom how many deaf ears would that fall upon? All cultures have their holy days, their holidays, and their greetings for them, I take no offence from others greetings and I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone to abandon their traditional/cultural greetings in the name of political correctness all for fear of upsetting the 61% majority. I simply don’t understand how anyone would take offence to mine/ours, or more importantly why is offiicialdom so intent on diluting our culture, particularly when our culture, still, is based on Christian Culture.

YBAF
25th Dec 2015, 02:37 PM
I'm part of a minority - 22%, yay! :aus:

..all for fear of upsetting the 9% minority.

Interesting, so somewhere in that 9% we find islam.

Meanwhile, in Brunei, a little country just North of Australia with a 9% Christian population...

""..where Christmas celebrations have been banned under a recent shift towards hardline Islamic law.
"Using religious symbols like crosses, lighting candles, putting up Christmas trees, singing religious songs, sending Christmas greetings ... are against Islamic faith," Punishment for violating the ban is a five-year jail sentence, and the government warned last year Muslims would be committing an offence if they so much as wore "hats or clothes that resemble Santa Claus"..""

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-23/christmas-ban-to-be-strictly-enforced-this-year-in-brunei/7051680

A Duke
25th Dec 2015, 09:48 PM
Hi,
I do not mind being wished a happy Holiday, what burns me is patterns (scroll saw etc) for holiday decorations for the tree, angels, crosses, nativity scenes etc :aargh:
Regards

sacc51
25th Dec 2015, 10:19 PM
I don't get the chance to interact with other cultures very often, but when I do I always make sure I wish them a Merry Xmas, even though I'm not a christian and it may be July.

ubeaut
26th Dec 2015, 12:44 AM
Strewth.

Don't know why I even bothered....

For years the Christmas message was Merry Christmas. 2013 it changed to Seasons Greetings Last year it was merry Christmas in a number of different languages. Originally it was "Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to the carpenter from Nazereth".

Each and every year I've received a number of emails of complaint mostly from people I don't know and who weren't members.... (mostly).

Doesn't matter what I do, it seems I'm damned if I do or damned if I don't. Why bother.

To those cobber, digger, mate types who don't like it... Stiff. I hope you have miserable holidays or like some of us, you have to work and get none at all.

To those who like it or don't care. Merry Christmas. Or as I said in the banner:
All the very best for Christmas and a safe, happy, prosperous 2016.

I hope all the self-righteous Merry Christmas band at least went to church to give praise and thanks for the birth of Jesus before wasting good space on here bemoaning the use of the words Happy Holidays.

Neil

sacc51
26th Dec 2015, 08:18 AM
Nope, this self righteous band member didn't go to church cos I'm not a christian. But while I'm bemoaning - red hair, don't you really hate red hair, and don't get me started on red heads with green eyes, green and red just don't go well together. And Korean cars, or Japanese toasters, and my personal favourite Chinese lathes - ewwww w w w. Will the world never come to grips with my petty dislikes.