PDA

View Full Version : Australian National Standards Laboratory

YBAF
21st Dec 2015, 04:01 PM
Heres me in the big city having lunch and I read RC's post about some slip blocks for sale. After lunch I'm at the old books shop and come across a book about Australias WW2 war effort. Open the book up and the page opens to a picture of...

.RC.
Australian made gauge blocks, never knew we made them.

I had to buy them then. :cool:

YBAF
21st Dec 2015, 04:04 PM
Extract from "Australia in the War of 1939-45. The Role of Science and Industry."

Page 150: ...From a technical point of view probably the most interesting among the special gauges made in this country for the first time during the war were the "slip gauges" made at the National Standards Laboratory. These were pieces of steel in the shape of a rectangular solid of which two surfaces were flat and parallel to within five to ten millionths of an inch and whose distance apart was known to about the same degree of accuracy. They were the most accurate of all precision gauges and could be adopted as either working standards or inspection gauges...

Oldbikerider
14th Sep 2016, 09:01 PM
Interesting. I worked at the National Standards Laboratory's successor, the National Measurement Laboratory for 15 years from the late 70s. There were some very fine craftsmen there. I personally made a set of gauge blocks used for calibration of radio frequency standards. These were lapped to a tenth of a thou tolerance.

That's a great set you have there.

Graham.

rcaffin
15th Sep 2016, 09:40 PM
I managed to collect a box of left-over bits from that project. All sorts of sizes, but nice metal.

Cheers
Roger

YBAF
17th Sep 2016, 12:06 PM
Interesting. I worked at the National Standards Laboratory's successor, the National Measurement Laboratory for 15 years from the late 70s. There were some very fine craftsmen there. I personally made a set of gauge blocks used for calibration of radio frequency standards. These were lapped to a tenth of a thou tolerance...

I'm yet to find a YouTube video on the making of proper gauge blocks. Although the comments section of the NYC CNC attempt did offer some insight into the process. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAQMJEjO9o

Don Bailey of Surburban Tools fame has just posted a video of a visit to A.A. Jansson. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzFXJCryrU
Whilst they are a calibration shop it certainly gives me an idea of the workmanship required to get that 10 thou finnish - don't breath on it :)