PDA

View Full Version : 3 Phase Plugs and sockets.

DSEL74
14th Dec 2015, 12:04 PM
A 5 pin Australian Standard 10 Amp plug will fit a 5 pin Australian Standard 10 Amp socket and a 5 pin Australian Standard 20 Amp socket.

I assume therefore a 5 pin Australian Standard 15 Amp plug will also fit.

If 5 pin 20 amp sockets are fitted any 4 or 5 pin plugs 10,15,20Amp will work and only draw down the needed amount???

I believe the IP56 32 amps plugs are bigger and not compatible?

In the average shed with the secondhand lathes and mills etc we are likely to bring home is anything above 20amps likely?

BobL
14th Dec 2015, 02:18 PM
I don't think there such a thing as a 15A standard P & S as the minimum is now 20A.

At the mens shed we have a smorgasbord of 3P P&S and the worst ones for variability are the 15A ones.
We are slowly converting everything to New plugs because all our sockets are 20 or 32A.

That's also probably why you don't see 15A 3P stuff in stores.

DSEL74
14th Dec 2015, 02:38 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of getting the 20amp sockets.

I already have the following plugs on my machines.
Wilco 5pin 15Amp
Rowco 4pin unmarked Amp
Clipsal 4pin 20Amp
Clipsal 4pin 10Amp x2
Clipsal 5pin 10Amp

So hopefully I will potentially just have to change the first two to more modern plugs and all can be used with the Clipsal 20 Amp 5 pin sockets.
The 5 pin so It can allow for 240V lights and pumps.

alexm1
14th Dec 2015, 02:55 PM
I assume therefore a 5 pin Australian Standard 15 Amp plug will also fit.

If 5 pin 20 amp sockets are fitted any 4 or 5 pin plugs 10,15,20Amp will work and only draw down the needed amount???

I believe the IP56 32 amps plugs are bigger and not compatible?

In the average shed with the secondhand lathes and mills etc we are likely to bring home is anything above 20amps likely?

Dsel, your assumption is correct. Because the wall socket is rated at 20 amps it will be wired to that capacity (assuming a legal installation) and a machine that has a 10 amp plug top will fit and will draw as much as the machine requires.
Out of interest where did your quote come from? It is important that wall sockets are always wired for 20 amps at a minimum, whilst the plug tops ( or the machines they are connected too) can be either rated at 10 or 20 amps, thus the wall socket is wired to suit the maximum possible connection.

DSEL74
14th Dec 2015, 03:03 PM
I've closed the webpage now but it was on an aussie site selling 3phase power boards. Basically it was related to their products plug fitting those sockets.

I have a sparky coming to put a new board in the shed and I'm looking what I need in the shed in terms of points so I can hopefully find some cheap or used ones and some 6mm 4 core+earth round orange cable and I can maybe do a bit of the leg work laying it out ready for him and save some money in time & labour.

The 6mm should be rated up to 37Amps so I can always have a 32Amp socket put in at a later date if required.

alexm1
14th Dec 2015, 10:32 PM
Your sparky will advise re cable size & type, he maybe able to get a better price than you. Remember if you put in over size cables you must do that all the way back to the supply. It could mean larger cables are required to the pole. Putting in larger cables (therefore larger potential draw) than needed can add lots of expense so think hard about your needs.

eskimo
17th Dec 2015, 08:01 AM

I would say *no...a 20amp/phase 3 phase machine is going to be big machine
20amps would be approx a 15hp/11kw motor...

* disclaimer....depends on how big your shed is as well....some on here have airport hangers...i mean large shed, eyes and wallets to suit

DSEL74
17th Dec 2015, 09:08 AM
No aircraft hanger here or wallet to suit. I do have big starry eyes for old lonely machines.

Mike4
17th Dec 2015, 10:31 AM
I am running a 32Amp outlet with all of the associated breakers and 4 core and earth , legal as my electrician will connect it .
I always specify a larger than immediately required as needs change as more or larger equipment seems to arrive.

I also purchased a 100m roll of cable and the socket , breakers including earth leakage online from Australian suppliers cheaper than the local wholesalers could supply 30 m of cable ,go figure.

It will be run over the christmas break, and be operational .
Michael

DSEL74
17th Dec 2015, 11:04 AM
Mike where did you buy your stuff?

Mike4
17th Dec 2015, 04:55 PM
I looked on Ebay and compared prices , called a couple of electricians to make sure that the stuff I bought was up to spec.
I will look for the names shortly and post them here.

Michael

Mike4
17th Dec 2015, 05:01 PM
DSEL74
The cable came from cablepro-15 and the other stuff from electricdirect.
Both were ok to deal with .
Michael