PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Contour Projector repairs

.RC.
13th Dec 2015, 10:07 AM
As mentioned previously some many months back I picked up a Kodak Contour Projector and I did some cleaning up and rebuilt the work table. The bulb on the projector was not very bright and the inside was all smoky. A replacement bulb is very expensive exUS of course. It is a 6V 100W.

I decided to try to use something local and bought a Halogen 100W 12V bulb, I broke open the old bulb and soldered the halogen one onto the two legs. I also cleaned up the lenses next to the bulb but they fell apart upon disassembly and they can go back multiple ways. Nothing broken or damaged, just not sure how they are correctly assembled, will try a business in the US that rebuilds these old machines for assistance.

Since the new bulb is 12V, I needed a 12V power supply. One thing that can tend to accumulate over the years is old computer power supplies. So I installed one of them and used multiple 12V output wires soldered together to get 12V. The PSU is switched on using the existing light switch.

The projector also has a surface illuminating feature. Light is projected out of the area where light normally goes in and is reflected off the surface and then that reflection comes up on the screen.

pictures..

The PSU placement.. (please no 20 page thread of arguments of how using a PSU for this purpose will make the moon lose orbit and bring on the apocalypse)

The bulb

Contour projecting

359951 359952

surface illuminating

359953 359954

.RC.
13th Dec 2015, 07:13 PM
If anyone is wondering what you can use it for here is an example.

Say you have a mystery gear. You want to find out the pressure angle, usually not an easy thing to do.

A solution I read about but have never done is roll the gear into some modelling clay and measure the angle like in the picture

KBs PensNmore
13th Dec 2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks for that RC, was wondering what it was useful for. Nice idea of pinching the kids playdough for working it out.
Kryn