PDA

View Full Version : Screwless vice

jhovel
4th Dec 2015, 01:46 AM
Just something I have meaning to try for years....
The project originally came in to beeing when a friend gave me a base for a rotating machine vice - without any vice, several years ago. I had some 1/2" plate and an oxy handy and marked, cut out and machined a matching machine vice base plate to go on the base.
Some time later I found a piece of cast iron of suitable size. I cut the 3 pieces needed for a vice and surface ground the main body. That's where it came to a grinding halt....
I found a nice heavy and large machine vice for the mill and the need for this home-made version diminished.
Now I have a surface grinder and kept looking at the pieces again, because the vice by itself would be really good on the surface grinder.... Then I was given my new Pear pantograph mill - and a nice low profile vice would be good for that as well.
So over the last few days, I got my head around the machining required again. I wanted to get to know the milling capability of the Pear and this seemed a suitable project.
I'm still going to surface grind the fixed and moving jaw, and when finally assembled, the ends of the body. It can be used on its own on a magnetic chuck, using the side slots for clamping down, on the base plate for bolting to T-slots and fitted on the rotating base as a regular milling vice.
Here are some photos of the construction and assembly.
359846 359847 359848 359849 359852 359850 359851

KBs PensNmore
4th Dec 2015, 04:59 PM
Nice bit of machining Joe, a project that will be well used :2tsup:
Kryn

BobL
4th Dec 2015, 08:30 PM
I like it - a lot/
One thing though - it's not screwless, the socket hex bolt is still a screw, or it was last time I looked. :-)

jhovel
5th Dec 2015, 12:56 AM
Yes, BobL, I had argued that too.... apparently that's what they are called, because they don't have a screw that can get in the way or is exposed to swarf - though I doubt the latter as well....
I don't know yet how strong it clamps yet. I haven't used it yet.... but I might tomorrow :)
Anyway, it put the new pantograph through its paces as a small milling machine.
I spent the day with Joe in his factory copying his letter and number set on his pantograph. I'll cut them apart over the weekend and make a box for them. Then I can engrave 'nice' scales and labels on some of my tooling.

BobL
5th Dec 2015, 01:10 AM
Anyway, it put the new pantograph through its paces as a small milling machine.
I spent the day with Joe in his factory copying his letter and number set on his pantograph. I'll cut them apart over the weekend and make a box for them. Then I can engrave 'nice' scales and labels on some of my tooling.

Just so you know at the mens shed we have the old Pantograph from my former Department at the University. It came with some unusual letter and symbol sets including Greek, Logic circuits and also Valve electronic circuit symbols.

wheelinround
6th Dec 2015, 07:32 AM
Joe nice to see the pantograph being put to use and what you have produced with it is tops notch :2tsup:

eskimo
9th Dec 2015, 12:35 PM
very well done Joe:2tsup: