PDA

View Full Version : shockies and struts - restoration

Goggomobile
14th Nov 2015, 01:48 AM
Hi all
thought I'd start a post on shocks and struts.

I want to restore my old shocks and found lots of
Utubes on the topic .. Has anyone tried to pull down shocks and restore? At $230/ shock each new I'd rather restore.

I have 12 to restore on three cars .. All the same. Ref pic below.

jhovel
14th Nov 2015, 02:50 AM
I can't tell fromthe photos, but may old European shocks were able to be disassembled. Take some close-up shots of the ends of the shock absorber - including end-on. I have rebuilt serveral early BMW shocks and many early motorbike shocks. THe biggest problem is finding suitable seals I found but not impossible. If there is wear or pitting of the damper rod where it goes through the seal, then you either have to make new ones or find a motorcycle shock that fits the Gogo spring and length and eye dimensions. There are literally thousands of shocks around for motorbikes. I'm sure you find one to suit.

Chris Parks
15th Nov 2015, 11:58 AM
Konis or Spax were repairable and parts available from Proven Products in Albury. Apart from those two Bilsteins can be done with parts available from Bilstein in Victoria. The more common and OEM dampers cannot be rebuilt as a genaral rule. What car are they off? You can always check with Proven Products because if the parts can be supplied to re-build them they will know.

Goggomobile
17th Nov 2015, 06:15 AM
Hi all pics below.

Goggomobile
17th Nov 2015, 06:21 AM
More ...

Goggomobile
17th Nov 2015, 06:26 AM
And more ...

Chris Parks
17th Nov 2015, 10:20 AM
Ring Proven Products, that is your best bet but I would say no. The problem with the Go Go Mobile is it is so light even for its day. What brand are they?

steve.rsa
17th Nov 2015, 12:12 PM
Try this tool :
Catalogue Search - Monroe Shock Absorbers (http://www.monroe.com.au/trade-corner/catalogue-search.html?search_type=length&length_product_type=SHOCK_ABSORBER&length_mount_type_top=FS&length_mount_type_btm=FS&length_compressed=250&length_extended=315#lengthform)

Although you might find the size, the damping rate will be the problem

jhovel
18th Nov 2015, 03:07 AM
OK mate, I think you might be in luck!
On one of the photos I can see pin spanner holes in what looks to me like a removable plug. On the end of the shock body where the rod comes out. You have little to loose. Carefully but thoroughly clean the end of one the shock bodies - without scratching or sanding the rod (maybe a couple of layers of electrical tape around the rod to protect the hard chrome). Then look carefully if the the part with the two small holes is a separate 'plug'. Find or make a pin spanner to fit and see if you can unscrew it. If you get it out, then all the mysteries of the goggo shocks will be revealed. You'll then be able to find rings, seals etc and start looking for suitable har chromed replacement rod (I have a few ideas). I noticed one of the shocks appears to rust pits in the chrome and the other has either no chrome left or its very dirty.
Please let us know what you find and learn.