PDA

View Full Version : Press Die

Oldneweng
9th Nov 2015, 09:27 AM
I have no idea what to call this except for above. I did a search for the plumbing equivalent without success. These are to connect a smaller diameter side pipe in.

The parts of the die. The right hand bit is a guide which fits inside the female section. The small diameter of the male section locates in a bore inside and keeps everything lined up.

After pressing. This is SHS, 1.6mm wall. The pressing operation is done up the other way so the internal guide stays in position by gravity. I was going to use a spring but had to change the design for extraction purposes.

The end result. I want to press HDPE bushes into the holes to make a pivoting arm. This is something I promised SWMBO long ago, so it has priority over the mill power feed.

Dean

Anorak Bob
9th Nov 2015, 09:52 AM
.... These are to connect a smaller diameter side pipe in.

Dean

Hey Dean,

It's probably because I'm dull but I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to do. Do you have any photos of it being used ?

Bob.

Gavin Newman
9th Nov 2015, 10:07 AM
As I see it he's trying to deform the RHS to provide the bearing surfaces you can see on the inner walls of the sample piece in the 3rd picture. Presumably there's a pilot hole drilled then the die does the rest (with the assistance of a hefty press).

Anorak Bob
9th Nov 2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks Gavin.

:no: If I had opened my eyes I would have seen what Dean was up to. I was thrown off by the mention of plumbing equivalents because I was thinking of round pipe and I thought the SHS was part of the kit.
Now that the veil has been lifted, clever work Dean.:2tsup:

Bob.

Oldneweng
9th Nov 2015, 03:40 PM
I forgot to mention the hole which made it confusing. A 14mm diam hole is drilled using a step drill, in the mill. A stop is fitted to the mill vice so the SHS can be turned over to drill the other side, maintaining location.

The plumbing equivalent uses 2 die pieces connected with a bolt to draw the walls to the outside where they can be used as a socket for brazing/soldering (copper) or a flat ended socket for welding tube to (Stainless steel).

I could have used the same method, but reversed to get an internal socket but where is the fun in that. This was partly turning/milling practice.

The male die piece is 25mm diam. The female 28mm inside. The socket formed is about 24.6mm diam external. I turned a test piece of HDPE 25mm diam and pressed it in. It was a great fit.

I have ordered some black HDPE for the bushes. The whole unit will be painted matt black. It is going to be a support arm for a notebook. An upmarket version of the one I currently use which I also made. If it works I will make a new one for myself.

I need to buy some nice round steel rod for pivot shafts when I go to town later in the week. I have some stainless, but I am not a big fan of tapping stainless. There will be an M8 tapped hole in each end. 2 M8 cap bolts will pull 2 arms made from the SHS together with the bushes to make a firm pivot. If anyone is interested I can continue to show the whole project to the finish, but my intention was to show the die making.

Dean

Michael G
9th Nov 2015, 07:09 PM
That's a nice bit of work. I'm not sure what to call it either. Perhaps an extruding die?
Please show us the rest of the project - that's what this section is for.

Michael

jhovel
9th Nov 2015, 07:42 PM
Fascinating out-of-box thinking and design.
Please show us the whole project.

RayG
10th Nov 2015, 12:04 PM
Nice work Dean, very impressive. Looking forward to seeing the finished item. I am also interested in making a monitor mount, for the (long running saga ) CNC conversion on the mill.

I'd call it a forming die, but there is probably a proper name.

Ray