PDA

View Full Version : English wheel - work in progress - another sheet metal tool project....

jhovel
7th Nov 2015, 08:45 PM
Getting my sheet metal tool kit up to speed made me start on an English Wheel. Looking through lots and lots of E-wheel photos and designs on line, I came up wiht my own adaptation, to fit around the 'stuff' I have lying around.
The G-frame is made from 3" RHS with 1/4" wall. The gussets are made from the same stuff.
I've made the flat wheel holder at the top removable (to be secured with a large taper pin). That way I can make alternative attachments to fit into the frame, such as a pneumatic planishing hammer I have.
The flat wheel is sitting on the dolly support in the pictures. It used to be a fat cast iron rope pulley of unknow origin that I bored for sealed bearings and tuned off the rope sheaves.
The 2-1/2" round bar is the raw material for a set of dollies (small rollers with different radii).
I'm also toying with the idea of fitting the drive mechanism for bead rollers into the rear of the frame. That way no further floor space is used for an additional device. The business end of the edge/bead roller would then be mounted where the flat wheel holder is and the adjustable height and pressure dolly wheel support for the bottom rollers..... Some design issues to solve for that one yet....
359399 359400 359401

Jekyll and Hyde
7th Nov 2015, 11:42 PM
Have you seen the bead rollers made by Tom Verity? Might give you some helpful ideas, he's done basically what you want to do...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=courtjester90+bead+roller

English wheel is looking good! I haven't come across the motherlode of steel I require to build the size frame I want, so mine still only exists as the most bizarre attachment ever bolted to the back of a Bridgeport ram...

jhovel
8th Nov 2015, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the links J&H. I hadn't seen those before. Very handy!

wheelinround
8th Nov 2015, 10:44 AM
Long time since using either of these machines and I enjoyed it greatly. The idea of one being two or even three is ideal.

Looking good so far Joe