PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Crash Sliders

jack620
5th Nov 2015, 04:15 PM
Well it's not as big a project as PDW's boat, and it's not even metal. I just wanted to prove that I sometimes venture into my workshop. :wink:

I started by gluing some 30mm red into some 50mm black Delrin with Araldite.

I turned the 60 degree included angle conical nut and matching recess in the slider without moving the compound. That required that I set the lathe in reverse and cut the aluminium nut from the back side. I needn't have bothered, as with something like this the fit isn't critical. It was a good exercise though.

Polished to a satin finish with 1200 W&D and some oil.

It locks in nicely and comes out easily (I was worried the nut would jam in the slider and I'd never get it out of the axle again).

.RC.
5th Nov 2015, 05:21 PM
do they stick out of the wheel axle to slide upon should you fall over? I am a bit lost on what crash sliders are.

jack620
5th Nov 2015, 05:30 PM
Yep, they protect the axle and brake discs (on the front wheel) in the event of a drop and slide. I always thought that what your legs were for. :)

Oldneweng
6th Nov 2015, 09:34 PM
When are you giving them a test run?:D

Photos or it never happened.

Dean

Anorak Bob
9th Nov 2015, 10:23 AM
Yep, they protect the axle and brake discs (on the front wheel) in the event of a drop and slide. I always thought that what your legs were for. :)

( Ha ! The old drop and slide! That brings back some bad memories. )

Nicely executed Chris, they look the part. :2tsup:

I didn't know Araldite worked on slippery Delrin. Did you simply abrade the surfaces to provide a key for the glue?

Bob.

bwal74
9th Nov 2015, 09:29 PM
Really nice work. I just bought a set of crash bobbins for my 955 from England as the aussie made ones where to expensive. I didn't even think of making my own.

Ben.

jack620
14th Nov 2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks Gents.

I didn't know Araldite worked on slippery Delrin. Did you simply abrade the surfaces to provide a key for the glue?

Hi Bob,

You're right- Araldite doesn't stick to Delrin. In fact I was able to remove the squeeze-out with my thumb nail. What I did was leave a very rough surface on both pieces. I figure the Araldite will just lock the red piece into the black by filling up the gaps. And the cap screw is actually pulling the red piece into the black piece, so it can't go anywhere.

Chris