PDA

View Full Version : Shipping stuff overseas?

neksmerj
31st Oct 2015, 07:41 PM
My son is finally moving out of home, (@(*&%^$#) not just to the next town, but to Romania.

Most of his possessions are packed into 12 large plastic boxes.

So far he's had quotes of $2000 to $2500, struth, his airfare was less than that.

Any member here have any contacts in the shipping business or can give me some tips.

Does Australia Post provide such a service. I reckon about 600kg all up.

He leaves next month.

Ken

Cueball
31st Oct 2015, 08:14 PM
G'day Ken,

No experience shipping overseas, but have moved multiple items around Australia and in from Europe. So may or may not be helpful!

I would not just ship plastic containers as they would be very likely damaged in transit. My approach has been to box everything in a large custom built wooden crate made from plywood with timber bracing internally on all corners. Timber has to meet a certain spec for international transport, but plywood/formboard is just fine.

Have at least part of or one side which can be unscrewed to allow Romanian customs or their equivalent to inspect upon arrival (thats what happens with anything imported to Australia). That way your box is not destroyed in the inspection process, allowing it to be either picked up by your son or have it transported to it final destination

Then organise for an import/export agent to organise everything else by sea delivery/ land transport etc. If your son can pick it up from the bond store or equivalent it is often more likely to not be damaged etc

Hope this is of some use to you

Regards

Quentin

I

bob ward
31st Oct 2015, 08:24 PM
Presumably this is all going by air? If so $4/kg for shipping stuff to the other side of the world doesn't seem unreasonable. At the moment the large 20lb flat rate box from the US costs US$86.25 or AU$13.30/kg.

But yes, if you can get the inside running somewhere you should be able to save a few dollars.

clive hugh
31st Oct 2015, 11:44 PM
I have done a few country to country ships and back again, 5 countries so far. We always shipped by sea and were charged on cubic metreage, it wasn't horrendous but in the last 17 years prices could well have shot up. The stuff was picked up and a few weeks later it rolled up to the new address.

RayG
31st Oct 2015, 11:51 PM
When my son moved to Austria, he got a deal on a part container, I was surprised how cheap it was. ( but I can't remember the actual cost )

Ask around for part container shipment deals.

Ray

Master Splinter
1st Nov 2015, 09:21 AM
Shipping rates for bulk commodities (iron ore, wheat) have halved in the last few years - it's under $10/tonne now - if you want to really feel stung on what they want to charge.

Machtool
1st Nov 2015, 11:03 AM
Ken.

Google International Removalists. There will be a dozen of them, Grace, Kent, Allied Pickfords etc.

They often do consolidated sea freight in their own containers.

Regards Phil.

WelderMick
1st Nov 2015, 01:08 PM
In terms of plastic containers, you could consider plastic (polypropylene) nally bins like commercial fishermen use. They're very resilient and come with lids that you can zip tie on. They last forever even out in the sun. They stack well with lids on. Disadvantages are that they're pretty expensive - about $50 a pop, and the sides aren't perfectly square, so aren't always great for packing things. I buy mine at the local fishermen's coop. Don't get the bunnings ones.
Cheers
- Mick

barkersegg
1st Nov 2015, 04:34 PM
From what you describe, your best option regarding cost is to send it sea freight - provided time is not a factor. To do that contact any registered freight forwarder (find them in yellow pages) who can provide you with a cost that will be based on an LCL shipment - by that it means that the forwarder will usually consolidate a full container destined for a particular port with lots of smaller consignments making up a full load thereby saving costs. They usually store goods in their warehouse until they have enough to make up an FCL load or may rent space in a container from another exporter if available. So ask how long your goods are likely to wait until being shipped. Once the container arrives at the destination port it will be de-vanned and then the various consignments sent to where they are destined or maybe collected from their depot. Those costs are about the cheapest for small consignments that cannot otherwise go airfreight ie weight restrictions, dangerous goods or bulk etc. As mentioned your best bet is to pack the goods in a wooden crate that has a phytosanitary certification for fumigation purposes (Quarantine will ask for that) so as your wood is not taken for fumigation at the destination port...that can add to cost and time delays also. The freight forwarder can help you with that also along with the Bill of lading and other paperwork needed.

Irrespective of whether you are sending it air or sea freight you will still need to complete the relevant paperwork including an Airway Bill or Bill of Lading plus heaps of other forms....so unless you are proficient at that and providing classifications for the goods intended for export, then suggest you seek qualified assistance such as provided by the freight forwarder.....again, it depends on what you send etc...

At the moment sea freight per LCL consignments are quite competitive prior to the Xmas rush so shop around and get different quotes .............hope that helps

Machtool
1st Nov 2015, 07:13 PM
As mentioned your best bet is to pack the goods in a wooden crate that has a phytosanitary certification for fumigation purposes (Quarantine will ask for that)
If you were to go looking for that, the better key word would be ISPM-15 timber. I have a place up in Fairfield / Alphington, not far from you, that could supply tea chest sized box's, cheaper than you could knock them up from Bunnings supplied non conforming timber.

Abbott Box Co. Old Bill is worth a visit in his own right. Born 1927 - 88 years old. He's been knocking up box's since world war 2. He's had that factory there when it was still all market gardens around him. Saw's and such are converted line shaft.

Regards. Phil.
(On Edit). For the sake of clarity.

"LCL" means Less than Container Load. Often called consolidated freight. This is the one you need.

"FCL" means Full Container Load. That's what I use, I don't want your son's dinner set, sock's jock's and undies, filling up my machine consignment. How ever I might have heard about sending emergency rations to the tune of a slab or 3 buried under a machine.