PDA

View Full Version : New Wheelcahir from New Zealand

wheelinround
24th Oct 2015, 09:26 AM
Gents this has just come to light for me and I know some here have interest in people who might just get a boost if they had something like this.
Mind you if you watch both videos it shows a great deal of the guys workshop machines etc as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEet2cXlz1QMAFGSSkcXhzQ

BobL
24th Oct 2015, 10:46 AM
Very impressive Wheelin. I hope you can get one :)

We had a bloke trying to get our mens shed involved with converting regular wheel chairs to electric using an imported conversion kit. As soon as I saw the prototype he has cobbled togethers I could see a raft of engineering and safety problems, not to mention Standards and legal issues. Initially some of the other shedders were very keen on getting involved but as soon as they found out the legal ramifications they quickly lost interest.

That Segway based chair looks like it will be way better for many users.

Pete F
24th Oct 2015, 01:43 PM
What a brilliant use of technology and a Segway, thanks for putting that up. Hopefully the company does well and the price can be made realistically affordable such that those who can it one can actually get access to one.

On a lighter note, while the above may well have 40 km range, maybe this would be better for nipping down to the shops to pic up some milk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z43muPetNc

Michael G
24th Oct 2015, 02:55 PM
I agree - great clip(s). I've sent them onto our TAD office for their interest.
I've never thought much of Segways - sort of an answer looking for a problem, but this application could actually be a good use for the technology!
The bit about strengthening the core muscle groups is interesting although sadly it means that some of the wheelies I know may not have enough control to use it.

Michael

BobL
24th Oct 2015, 03:40 PM
The bit about strengthening the core muscle groups is interesting although sadly it means that some of the wheelies I know may not have enough control to use it.

The control can probably be arranged to work with head or joystick movement although I can't quite think why this then would be any better than a regular electric wheelie.

Maybe 2 big wheels is less likely to get stuck than the little wheels on regular wheelies?

Stustoys
24th Oct 2015, 03:59 PM
Maybe 2 big wheels is less likely to get stuck than the little wheels on regular wheelies?
Had more than a few problem with train tracks and small wheel over here.

BobL
24th Oct 2015, 05:08 PM
Had more than a few problem with train tracks and small wheel over here.

That's the sort of things I was thinking of.

KBs PensNmore
24th Oct 2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that wheelin,:2tsup: have forwarded it onto the OT here for her to see. Cool looking set of wheels, the looks bring it up into the 21st century, bit like the FJ and the latest Commodore.
Kryn

neksmerj
24th Oct 2015, 09:11 PM
That wheel chair looks so cool, and talking about self balancing, there's an electric bike that's almost impossible to push over.

Some times I reckon I could use a self balancing system after a few glasses of "medicine".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLV1ZPdB9A

Ken

wheelinround
25th Oct 2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks all for the responses.

BobL doubt I'd end up with one $$$$ for starters, no room to store when not in use. I do see the benefits I need to work the abbs more LOL.

Stu a normal wheelchair here with the thin castor wheels they come with fit straight into the void of drain grates so i always get wider ones fitted they also allow better handling on gravel, grass and sand.

I found this fellow in the UK who builds them in his kitchen http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Ken love it miss being a motorbike rider getting into that from a wheelchair would/could prove a problem.

The kill joys and over regulation of this country is whats killing industry start up people in engineering tinkerers and back yard engineers.

KBs PensNmore
25th Oct 2015, 03:21 PM
I found this fellow in the UK who builds them in his kitchen http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Thanks for the link wheelin, certainly some interesting reading.:2tsup: Trust someone who lives in one to come up with a better unit.
Maybe the manufacturers need to live in one to know what is required. I have a friend who lives in one, at least once a week, I'm having to fix it, when something goes wrong, he rings them up, say a Monday the reply is "Sorry can't get there till Friday at the earliest". His controller arm broke, and he's stuck on the sidewalk, nice attitude.
Kryn

neksmerj
25th Oct 2015, 08:46 PM
Here is a better video of the self balancing bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU-NGPOOMVM

Incidently, is cahir the NZ spelling for chair? Just wondered.

Ken

Pete F
25th Oct 2015, 11:16 PM
Speaking of the self-balancing bike, I went for a walk an hour ago and a kid passed me on a miniature version of a Segway ...ish, kinda thing. Imagine a skateboard turned 90 degrees that he was standing on, with wheels like a Segway at each end, only smaller. It reminded me that I'd seen them around before and I can't imagine they're anything like the price of a Segway. The point being that the basic "guts 'n' brains" of a self-balancing device must be coming out of China (this thing was clearly Chinese ... even the rider!), and it could probably be scaled up for a lot less than it would cost to use a Segway as a donor. Not a trivial task by any means, but the OP struck me as a brilliant use of technology. As opposed to what I consider a rather pointless donor vehicle!

KBs PensNmore
25th Oct 2015, 11:33 PM
I saw one of those yesterday, except this had one wheel?????? Unfortunately he was going one way and went the other, so didn't see it properly, but did see it as a uni sedgeway.
Kryn

simonl
26th Oct 2015, 08:20 AM
We need like button!

Nice wheel chair and use of technology.

Simon

eskimo
26th Oct 2015, 07:10 PM
There is bolt on after market seat available for the sedgway
Also a youtube video of it on the site
4.5k€...not too bad i guess but that doesnt include the sedgeway

Hunch
26th Oct 2015, 09:13 PM
I've never thought much of Segways - sort of an answer looking for a problem, but this application could actually be a good use for the technology!

There was an interview in Air and Space mag, 10 years or so ago, with the inventor of the segway. If I'm recalling correctly, the segway followed on from a self balancing, stair climbing wheelchair using the same technology. The stumbling block was finding commercial partners for a limited market, unlike the numbers of people too lazy to move their feet...doubt it would have been cheap, going by segway price!

Oldneweng
27th Oct 2015, 10:39 AM
unlike the numbers of people too lazy to move their feet

Obesity, anyone? I wonder why this happens?

I heard recently that it may not be long before we can adjust our weight by simply taking drugs. Not weight loss scamming drugs, but real medical drugs that can cause your body to get rid of excess fat to order.

Great idea. Bring it on. No need to exercise. No need to feel guilty about being lazy, so segway (sedgway)(sludgway) here we come. Lots of sales of lazy products. The guilty can still pay their gym memberships, even if they have got more excuses than they can use, to stay away. Eating? Think of the huge market for food if guilt is not an issue. The economy will be booming. Start thinking about share options now.

This is all about evolution. It is working. The world population is becoming less able to survive disaster. When disaster strikes humans will not be able to survive so other species will gain ascendance. Evolution! working away quietly in the background.

The other good use for segway is to use as a prop in a Ken Block video. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms

Dean

wheelinround
27th Oct 2015, 01:01 PM
There is bolt on after market seat available for the sedgway
Also a youtube video of it on the site
4.5k€...not too bad i guess but that doesnt include the sedgeway

Thanks for pointing this out seems they have been around for sometime in that guise and with the wheel change to rough terrain as well. Noted difference is no handle on the NZ one, no drop down front steady and no adjustable seat.

Still one of these to use down at Sovereign Hill on the weekend would mean no slippery wheels no dirty muddy hands. Great on grass sand wet surfaces.

:rolleyes: Maybe one like this would be far better whizzing round the workshop on this instead of my stool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39eIFe5HrTk

eskimo
27th Oct 2015, 04:23 PM
Thanks for pointing this out seems they have been around for sometime in that guise and with the wheel change to rough terrain as well.

this is the one I speaking of ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8QZ0HEoZHQ

but a google revealed several others

WelderMick
29th Oct 2015, 10:10 PM
would mean no slippery wheels no dirty muddy hands. Great on grass sand wet surfaces.
The hands free aspect has got to be the real benefit - great innovation. What's the likely cost of the Ogo?