PDA

View Full Version : Forums a little slow

BobL
15th Oct 2015, 11:13 AM
Forums a bit slow ? - then consider this https://medium.com/bad-words/why-twitter-s-dying-and-what-you-can-learn-from-it-9ed233e37974

It could have been written in less than half the words and it's about twitter but I reckon it applies to all social networks.

In the last year of so have seen a relative slowing down on all the social networks I engage with . In some ways this is good as it was getting all to much to keep up.

For me it highlights the need for appropriate moderation but even the mods are fallible and in some ways cannot be expected to moderate the tone of every post.

Just a thought.

Pete F
15th Oct 2015, 03:36 PM
.... or ... people could actually get away from their computer for a while and just go make some stuff! :wink:

BobL
15th Oct 2015, 04:29 PM
.... or ... people could actually get away from their computer for a while and just go make some stuff! :wink:

I doubt that would make much difference. Even in forums where members make lots of stuff and relatively few posts there are still problems.

Dingo Dog
15th Oct 2015, 08:42 PM
Wont bother me one bit if it dies and bites the dust, dont use it, or skype, or face book, the less people know about me the better. Dont do internet banking either.

DD

Master Splinter
15th Oct 2015, 09:49 PM
All the obsessive-compulsive Twitter posters have moved on to Tumblr now; Twitter has just cut staff numbers by 336 people (like...you don't have a business model anywhere near breaking even yet, but you have so many people that 300 is a small reduction??? What the ...?). My vote is that Twitter is the next MySpace!

Stustoys
16th Oct 2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks Bob(still waiting on the thank you button)

, dont use it, or skype, or face book,
Ditto

Dont do internet banking either.
OMG without that I might have to get a real job.

Stuart

BobL
16th Oct 2015, 11:55 AM
Sorry I wasn't referring and also don't care about the demise of twitter.
I was referring to this social network - i.e. these forums, and what keeps new members from engaging.
Admitted we have good moderation that keeps the crazies at bay, but I wonder how many newbies have not engaged by even very subtle tones adopted in some posts.
Whether we like it or not we need "fresh meat" just for forums like these to sustain themselves.
Some older or long standing members will eventually lose interest and stop posting, or die, so unless there are new members engaging these forums will eventually be reduced to "loctite" style interactions.

Stustoys
16th Oct 2015, 12:10 PM
Sorry I wasn't referring and also don't care about the demise of twitter.
I was referring to this social network - i.e. these forums,
Yes I get that, What I was trying to say(ok maybe I disguised it well lol) is this is the only forum I bother with*

Stuart

*unless you want to count one about an app game that is a true basket case, while it could be used as an analogy for many of the issues in the above article its another story.

KBs PensNmore
16th Oct 2015, 12:18 PM
You are right Bob, we need new members to keep coming in with new ideas and thoughts. It's not only forums but clubs as well, I/'m was/involved in about 8 clubs/organisations that are all in the same boat. A couple nearly folded due to lack of numbers, till amalgamating with another club, but how long before that folds for the same reason.
Kryn

BobL
16th Oct 2015, 12:43 PM
You are right Bob, we need new members to keep coming in with new ideas and thoughts. It's not only forums but clubs as well, I/'m was/involved in about 8 clubs/organisations that are all in the same boat.

I agree about the club situation.

It's mot only the new members that input new ideas. New or old members may be proposing something quite ordinary or weird but that may trigger a useful new idea in an older member.
It may have the air of efficiency approaching that of the million monkeys on a million typewriters but the important thing is that any member should be able to raise ordinary or left field ideas without being quietly or loudly put down for it.

Yes I get that, What I was trying to say(ok maybe I disguised it well lol) is this is the only forum I bother with*

two thumbs up

I still do a some woody and saw milling activities so I am on the WWF for that plus another for Milling. I joined a blacksmithing forum but it sort of religious which I'm not that comfortable with.

KBs PensNmore
16th Oct 2015, 01:05 PM
important thing is that any member should be able to raise ordinary or left field ideas without being quietly or loudly put down for it.

Yes I've seen that happen quite often on here, some people should swallow a packet of chill pills, not just one.
My way of thinking of these people, is that they THINK are correct in what they are saying and will not change there minds or see the other persons point of view.
A bit like I used to get told "There are 2 sides to an argument, but I don't have time to listen to yours."
Kryn

PDW
16th Oct 2015, 03:22 PM
My way of thinking of these people, is that they are correct in what they are saying and will not change there minds or see the other persons point of view.

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

If someone *is* correct in what they are saying then why would they change their mind just to make someone else feel 'correct', validated, respected etc?

Now, if they are in fact *not* correct and refuse to acknowledge this, that is a different issue. But - it's not the situation that you refer to.

Disclaimer - my background is heavily science/engineering and I spent a bit of time studying the philosophy of science, predicate logic and philosophy in general. I have zero time for consensus opinions or decision making on any subject where there is empirical data available and I don't bother hiding that. OTOH I've no problems admitting that I'm wrong, when someone can demonstrate that with facts. If it's just someone's opinion, I don't have the time to listen to it (unless it has checkable sources).....

Things change, that's the only thing over the long term. Who remembers BIX and other closed networks? Who remembers CSIRONET, then AarNet, the forerunners to the internet in Australia? How many here worked in building them? Who even remembers or uses Usenet newsgroups any more?

I've made some good friends on the networks, this is just the latest permutation. If it goes away, so what. Something else will spring up if there's sufficient demand.

Might post some more planer pron pix a bit later.....

PDW

KBs PensNmore
16th Oct 2015, 05:14 PM
PDW You are crrect in what you are saying, how different leaving one word out can make in a sentence. I've edited it so that hopefully it reads better. Must remember to read what I've written before posting. English was NOT a good subject for me at school.
Kryn