PDA

View Full Version : Tour of the 'Hill'

Steamwhisperer
7th Oct 2015, 06:19 AM
Hi all
I finally caught up with management and asked if it would be ok to conduct another tour of where I work.
We have the green light for 15 to 20 interested people who are members of the 'National Machine Tool Restorers Club' (which is what us forum members are now called for the sake of the excercise) :D
If we can work out a date, I will do the rest.

Phil

jhovel
7th Oct 2015, 10:45 AM
Count me in! Depending on the program and the date, I'd love to ring my grandkids. Would that be appropriate or you'd rather keep it to enthusiastic adults?

DSEL74
7th Oct 2015, 10:54 AM
I'm in and have 4 that would like to come along dependant on dates.

AndrewOC
8th Oct 2015, 03:40 PM
Well!
Friends and I are planning to be at Lake Goldsmith for their spring rally on Oct 31/Nov 1st...
and I have the week off from work, leading up to it! Hmm, come to think of it, Scoresby are having an open day on Sunday 25th... what to do in Melb for a week and where to camp....
;)
cheers, look forward to it.
AndrewOC

DSEL74
8th Oct 2015, 04:22 PM
You can visit scoresby on a Thursday also, it's when the guys come to play with the machines so it's not all running but if you can't be there and a weekend you still get to look around.

neksmerj
8th Oct 2015, 09:34 PM
Hi Phil,

I'm in if it's held on a Saturday or Sunday.

Just walking around the joint alone is a pleasure, a guided tour with you at the helm is a whole new ball game.

Any chance you could put a post in the Metalwork Forum for wider coverage?

Ken

malb
8th Oct 2015, 09:53 PM
Hi, I would be very interested in a tour if/when it can be arranged. Quite flexible regarding date and time so can fit with the majority when it comes to sorting that out, i.e. no need to ask me what suits, just let me know what has been decided if my EOI is accepted.
Thanks

StrayAlien
9th Oct 2015, 07:59 AM
Hi, (feeling like I am missing something - I'm new), what is "the hill"? Apologies if it has been asked 1000 times ... :?

DSEL74
9th Oct 2015, 08:21 AM
Sovereign Hill, Ballarat

Neil317
9th Oct 2015, 11:14 AM
Count me in too, Phil. Also my son, who is a member here. (silent type... yet to post anything!)

Oldneweng
9th Oct 2015, 09:37 PM
I would be interested if it is on a weekend.

Dean

wheelinround
10th Oct 2015, 06:48 PM
:cool: LOML would have to also come along is that ok with all? This may not happen for us need to wrangle it some how.

Steamwhisperer
10th Oct 2015, 09:09 PM
:cool: LOML would have to also come along is that ok with all? This may not happen for us need to wrangle it some how.
No problem Ray.

Phil

Gavin Newman
11th Oct 2015, 07:41 PM
Phil, I'd be a starter if I can get the time off work.

Steamwhisperer
11th Oct 2015, 08:19 PM
Awesome response gentlemen.
I have just realised (thanks andrewOC) that Lake Goldsmith Steam rally is on at the end of the month, 31st of Oct. and the 1st of Nov.
Thoughts on a day at the hill and a day at the rally?? Only problem is the extremely short notice.
I may just be able to organise a drive of an Aveling and Porter steam roller for each attendee at the rally. Don't hold me to it as I think they have changed the rules but if at least one of us has a steam engine drivers ticket we may get away with it.

Phil

Burner
11th Oct 2015, 10:51 PM
Just saw this thread. We would like to participate in a tour. I think it would be worth the 6.5hr drive!! The weekend of the Goldsmith Rally we could make to work, especially for such an opportunity. we would have 2 adults. Would interested kids, 13, 11 and 8 be welcome? They are fairly interested in old machines and are used to standing and waiting for dad to stop talking about machines.
Craig

DSEL74
12th Oct 2015, 09:23 AM
Those dates work for me. I'll just have to find someplce to pitch a tent ⛺

DSEL74
14th Oct 2015, 05:23 PM
Only 2 weeks away. Has any decision been made if it will be a tour on Sat or Sun of the Goldsmith weekend????

Even of the tour doesn't happen for that weekend, I'd like to catch up with you Phil.

wheelinround
14th Oct 2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks Phil its a case of IF as we are on call to look after two grandsons some weekends and week days.

Will watch for a date.

Just checked around for accommodation a few places available.

:doh: Should have read the dates mentioned we would be free kids will be OS.

jhovel
14th Oct 2015, 06:32 PM
The Lake Goldsmithweekend suits me fine. Pam would like to come too, please.

Steamwhisperer
15th Oct 2015, 05:20 AM
Hi all
it looks like the Lake Goldsmith weekend is going to be the one.
I can only get a free pass for forum members and you are more than welcome to bring anyone you like, though they will have to pay to get in.
There will be some places that we just flat out aren't allowed to take people under 18 into but there is plenty for kids to do.
I'll compile a list of takers.

Phil

Gavin Newman
15th Oct 2015, 07:38 AM
Phil

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it (I have to power down, and hopefully power back up again, a 31 storey building that weekend).
Next time.....

Rgds - Gavin

wheelinround
15th Oct 2015, 09:37 AM
Phil Sue & I will be there arrive Friday leaving Monday.

AndrewOC
15th Oct 2015, 11:56 AM
So Goldsmith for you as well, Ray??
A ;)

malb
15th Oct 2015, 03:33 PM
Looking toward booking a 6 Berth cabin at Big 4 caravan park to (https://bookings2.rms.com.au/obookings3/Rates/Index/2443/1?A=10/30/2015&D=11/02/2015&Dn=20151015151050&Ad=3&Rd=1#/rooms)check in Friday 30 check out Monday 2nd.

One double bed and bunk room with 2 sets of double bunks, kitchenette, bar fridge air con, TV/DVD player, bedding, ensuite toilet and shower. Max 3 adults (park limitation), but can have up to 3 children as well. Accommodation cost for 1 adult is $330, 3 adults is $390, 3 adults and 3 children is $570 for the 3 nights and $5 booking and credit card fee.

I will be travelling solo, and are willing to share with anyone looking for accommodation for the visits. I am OK with booking for 3 adults now and trying to add children later if requested, and covering all costs if no one wants to share. Happy to allocate DB to a couple if they wish, or if they are travelling with children, their choice of DB or bunk room, just in case they don't trust having their children and me together in the bunkroom. Plans on website for these cabins show DB with kitchenette and dining table in main room, the bunk room, then the ensuite, so there will be some traffic through the bunk room to the ensuite, and not a huge amount of privacy at the DB end.

Anyone wanting reasonable cheap accom for the weekend feel welcome to PM me with your requirements. Click on 6 Berth Cabin above to open web site then Studio Cabin (accommodates up to 6) Click here for photos and details for general arrangement of cabins etc.

Cabin is NO SMOKING, (park requirements).

Mal

wheelinround
16th Oct 2015, 09:32 AM
Yes Andrew :D wouldn't miss that being so close.

Steamwhisperer
20th Oct 2015, 05:57 AM
Hi all
The list of 'Machine Tool Restorers' members is,
Joe Hovel
Dale (Dsel)
Andrew (AndrewOC)
Ken (neksmerj)
MalB
StrayAlien
Neil317
Dean (oldneweng)
Ray (Wheelinround)
Burner
Anyone I have missed??
The thought was to meet in the main carpark probably about 9:45 ish on the Saturday as the park opens at 10:00AM
Goldsmith on the Sunday for any takers

Phil

wheelinround
20th Oct 2015, 01:30 PM
Phew almost thought this had gone dead in the water.

2 for Lake Goldsmith on Sunday.

malb
20th Oct 2015, 06:19 PM
The thought was to meet in the main carpark probably about 9:45 ish on the Saturday as the park opens at 10:00AM
Goldsmith on the Sunday for any takers

Phil
Both times etc are fine with me thanks Phil.

Still beds available in my Big 4 cabin if people need a crash pad for the weekend (post 25 above).

Steamwhisperer
22nd Oct 2015, 06:00 AM
Hi all
semi final list is,
Joe Hovel
Dale (Dsel)
Andrew (AndrewOC)
Ken (neksmerj)
MalB
StrayAlien
Neil317
Dean (oldneweng)
Ray (Wheelinround)
Burner
Dunx (Duncan)
I will have to finalise things my end tomorrow so if there is any stragglers or non starters I'll need to know by tomorrow morning...early:D

Phil

DSEL74
24th Oct 2015, 01:10 PM
Just a quick question as to why the Sat and not the Sunday? I'm only asking as I would have thought Saturday would have been the bigger day at Lake Goldsmith.

I haven't been before so I don't actually know, but based on other events the sunday seems to be quieter and often less going on.

Steamwhisperer
25th Oct 2015, 05:53 AM
Hi Dale
On the Saturday a few of the sheds are normally not open as the owners are still driving there.
Some of the boilers are still being fired up.
A lot of the oil engines are still being set up or worked on to get going because they are cantankerous things and should be steam
Sunday has been traditionally, the best day for the grand rally around the oval area.
And lastly, the name of this thread. :D:D

Phil

DSEL74
25th Oct 2015, 07:40 AM
Ok that all sounds good. :2tsup:

Steamwhisperer
25th Oct 2015, 08:36 AM
Hi all
I have received the free entry card and we are listed on the manifest in the entrance building. Woo Hoo!
I just have to confirm numbers during next week and we are good to go. (11 so far)
The plan is to meet in the Bradshaw St. carpark about 9.45 AM (to allow for any late arrivers) and head in at 10.00 when the park opens.
I can't get family members or friends in so they will have to go through as regular visitors but the more the merrier.
There will be areas that some won't be able to go though there should be plenty of other things to see and do.
I'm still not sure what the weather is going to do so keep an eye on it guys.
See you all Saturday.

Phil

DSEL74
25th Oct 2015, 09:28 AM
Phil, you might want to pm the list with a mobile phone number in case there is any issues on the day, cancellations or hold up, etc.

wheelinround
25th Oct 2015, 09:50 AM
Phil see email.

Is the limits to what can be photographed, video? Oh and do not let your reply Phil think for one minuet you can dance out of shot. :p

franco
25th Oct 2015, 11:34 AM
A lot of the oil engines are still being set up or worked on to get going because they are cantankerous things and should be steam

Do I detect just a hint of prejudice here?

Steamwhisperer
25th Oct 2015, 12:39 PM
Phil, you might want to pm the list with a mobile phone number in case there is any issues on the day, cancellations or hold up, etc.
Great idea Dale, I'll get on to it

Phil see email.

Is the limits to what can be photographed, video? Oh and do not let your reply Phil think for one minuet you can dance out of shot. :p
Nah, there shouldn't be any limits Ray.
I'll say something if there is at the time but highly unlikely

Do I detect just a hint of prejudice here?
I held back Franco...a lot :D

Phil

wheelinround
26th Oct 2015, 09:30 AM
I see why Phil said about checking weather for the weekend this is NOT looking good at all.:cold::rain2::rain:

This could put a real damper on us even coming down at all.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/central/ballarat
(http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/central/ballarat)

Edited to add.

Phil sorry will have to wait till Wednesday for sure to advise if we are coming at all due to weather report above.

Petip
26th Oct 2015, 02:09 PM
Hello Phil
I would be interested to come along on Saturday if their are any spots left.
sorry for the late notice.
Cheers
Peter

Steamwhisperer
26th Oct 2015, 10:18 PM
PM sent Peter

Phil

Burner
27th Oct 2015, 09:19 AM
Unfortunately we will not be able to get there. It is a combination of busy lives (mainly the kids!!) and hay season here. Hopefully we can make it work another time.

wheelinround
27th Oct 2015, 01:04 PM
Loving the revised weather conditions :U

Oldneweng
27th Oct 2015, 06:06 PM
Hey, it looks like the rain has shifted our way. Great. By Saturday it will be 5% chance of SBA all around tho.

Dean

wheelinround
28th Oct 2015, 09:31 AM
See you Saturday morning or should that be moaning us NSW people have an idea what Victorian weather can be like ..........4 seasons in one day.:p

DSEL74
28th Oct 2015, 09:46 AM
I'll be there, camera in hand.

Steamwhisperer
28th Oct 2015, 07:08 PM
Hi all
final list for the weekend and if all is correct I'll hand in the numbers tomorrow.
I'll also do the bulk PM with my contact details.

Phil
Oops forgot the list. Good thing I remembered the numbers

DSEL74
29th Oct 2015, 07:55 PM
Phil is there any requirements for footwear & clothing for being back of house?

Steamwhisperer
30th Oct 2015, 05:52 AM
Hi Dale
nope, no special requirements. In fact it is probably safer in back of house:D

Phil
ps The list
Joe Hovel
Dale (Dsel)
Dunx
Ken (neksmerj)
MalB
StrayAlien
Neil317
Dean (oldneweng)
Ray (Wheelinround)
Petip

Steamwhisperer
30th Oct 2015, 10:09 PM
See you guys in the morning. Yee Haa

Phil

malb
31st Oct 2015, 05:11 PM
Many thanks Phil for a very interesting tour of the hill, back rooms, and mine.

Steamwhisperer
31st Oct 2015, 06:12 PM
No worries I had a ball

Petip
31st Oct 2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks Phil
What a great day, really enjoyed seeing things from a different perspective, especially from someone who clearly enjoys their job.
Thanks for taking the time to show us around.
Cheers
Peter

DSEL74
31st Oct 2015, 08:28 PM
We thoughly enjoyed the day, thanks Phil. Nice to catch up with a few familiar faces, and some familiar names.

jhovel
31st Oct 2015, 09:01 PM
Thank you Phil!
I had a great day, the grandkids had a great day and Pam enjoyed the day as well. It couldn;t have worked better.
Nice to meet a few more members here as well. Thanks guys!
359209 359210 359211 359212 359213 359214
Jack and Ned were very pleased with their successful gold panning and are very proud of their specimen jars with gold specs in them! They were also very impressed being allowed to hold a 103oz (3kg) gold bar in their little hands worth $160,000 - although that number is incromprehensible for them. Their mum told them it would be able to pay off their house. It looked like that gave them a scale of what they had experiences.
It was certainly the most expensive item I had ever held in my hand.....

Neil317
1st Nov 2015, 08:58 PM
It was a great day, and a real privilege to get the VIP treatment and see the it from the inside.
To play a part in keeping all that history alive must be really satisfying.
Thanks for sharing, Phil.
Neil

Steamwhisperer
2nd Nov 2015, 06:34 AM
I had an awesome day as well. It must have been good as it was 3 in the afternoon before I realised I hadn't ducked out for a smoke :oo:
I didn't even take any pics to share.
Did anyone make it out to Goldsmith, I saw Ray (wheelinround) twice but he was deep in conversation both times then I lost track of him dammit.
I did manage to say hi to AndrewOC though giving a blacksmithing demonstration.
All up a great weekend courtesy of all involved.

Phil

DSEL74
2nd Nov 2015, 07:43 AM
Which smithy was AndrewOC?

Steamwhisperer
2nd Nov 2015, 12:01 PM
Hi Dale
Andrew has a short beard and wears a hat like a fedora.
He was in the Bookar Steam shed.
#48 I think.

Phil

Oldneweng
2nd Nov 2015, 06:34 PM
I went to Goldsmith as did Malb or he said he was there.:D We went seperately and did not meet up. I saw Petip (I think) twice, but no one else. Great day. Heaps of photos.

Sovereign Hill was fantastic. Many thanks Phil.

Dean

DSEL74
3rd Nov 2015, 09:40 AM
On the topic of Lake Goldsmith. Norton & I were discussing/wondering how it was run. Can anyone enlighten us?

We figured the gear is all privately owned and one of the shed was for sale. So do you just join turn up and erect a shed, is there some sort of lease arrangement for the land, how does it work?

There has been some serious money and effort put into some of the shed and the gear inside and decoration. If I ever win tatts I'd join in for sure.

wheelinround
3rd Nov 2015, 10:34 AM
Phil is there any requirements for footwear & clothing for being back of house?

Dale I found even just normal sneakers were good enough to stop a 3kg gold bar hitting the floor good enough :doh: ............no big toe was injured during this demo........wearing slippery leather gloves does not help much either.

Phil would not have missed this whole event both of us glad we made the trip. The added bonus of Lake Goldsmith which we didn't get to see all of in a full day.

Great to meet ALL the gents who were able to make it.

I have to say a very big thanks to all the guys Phil included for taking turns at wheelin me around on the hills this gave Sue a great break. THANKS ALL. Special thanks to Dale's mate not a forum member who also took a turn at pushing me round.:2tsup:

Glad you found both of the items Phil :2tsup::B.

The deal through Comfort Inn at The Hill was excellent well worth it.

We departed Monday morning stopping at Bendigo Woollen Mills for a shopping bonanza for Sue the car back seat looked like a shearing shed bail had been dumped there.:lb:

wheelinround
3rd Nov 2015, 10:44 AM
I had an awesome day as well. It must have been good as it was 3 in the afternoon before I realised I hadn't ducked out for a smoke :oo:
I didn't even take any pics to share.
Did anyone make it out to Goldsmith, I saw Ray (wheelinround) twice but he was deep in conversation both times then I lost track of him dammit.
I did manage to say hi to AndrewOC though giving a blacksmithing demonstration.
All up a great weekend courtesy of all involved.

Phil

Sorry we missed you Phil never spotted anyone other than Andrew hard at work (for a change LOL) he was demoing the power driven hammer when we were there. I found the tools sale tent :p and yes picked up a few items 2 of which will be posted up as he only had one of. Very tempted on quick change tool post for the Myford. Ran out of battery for video ran out of battery for camera ran out of time to see all of what was on show.

wheelinround
3rd Nov 2015, 10:48 AM
On the topic of Lake Goldsmith. Norton & I were discussing/wondering how it was run. Can anyone enlighten us?

We figured the gear is all privately owned and one of the shed was for sale. So do you just join turn up and erect a shed, is there some sort of lease arrangement for the land, how does it work?

There has been some serious money and effort put into some of the shed and the gear inside and decoration. If I ever win tatts I'd join in for sure.

Dale the website might give more info. http://www.lakegoldsmithsteamrally.org.au/
Had a conversation with a few of the shed/machine owners regarding the rental/ownership use of. If we lived closer it would be brilliant. Campbelltown here in NSW has a similar system with their shed land use.

wheelinround
3rd Nov 2015, 04:55 PM
359297 View from our room ...........if I'd known eh Phil.

Blacksmith shop 359298
Metal spinning359299
Hand turned Brass swarf359300
Crew in the Coach Builders359301
Phil359302
Nice Bench359303

Steamwhisperer
3rd Nov 2015, 09:23 PM
Hi Dale
All the sheds are privately owned though you don't need to own one to be a member.
It is all overseen by a committee of management.
That's about as much as I know.