PDA

View Full Version : Who is saving the daylight?

Combustor
5th Oct 2015, 02:08 AM
OK, way OT but here goes. Had to chuckle over the banner headline on this site advising that all except Queensland should put the clocks ahead by an hour. I can only assume the centre of the universe resides somewhere between Sydney and Melbourne.
Fact is that Qld, NT and WA, yes over 2/3rds of the nations land mass do not subscribe to Daylight Saving. It possbly has some relevance for the South Eastern population centres living near the Eastern edge of their time zone, but for the rest of the nation it is pointless. WA has tried it twice and voted it down each time.
Surely in this era of flexi-time and workplace democracy individual enterprises could decide on their starting and finishing times and help to spread traffic and public transport loads over a longer period. Also hear that SA is considering moving their time to a full hour behind the Eastern bloc, which would further reduce confusion. Now if only NT could do the same!
Pity the persons who have to re-write airline , transport, radio/TV schedules and distribute them twice every year, my prayers go with them.
Rant over.
Combustor.

simonl
5th Oct 2015, 07:49 AM
Personally, I love (I should say we love since its the whole family) DS. It's now daylight at about 5:00am instead of 4:00am and when I get home, it's still daylight.

I do have some sympathy for people like dairy farmers though.

Simon

Oldneweng
5th Oct 2015, 10:19 AM
My understanding is that DS is for the people. More daylight time available in the evening. I am with Simon. It gives me more time to work/play outside.

Pity the persons who have to re-write airline , transport, radio/TV schedules and distribute them twice every year, my prayers go with them.

It is all done with computers and is probably automatic.

I believe SA has given the idea some thought and dropped it.

Dean

Master Splinter
5th Oct 2015, 11:35 AM
As at June 2011, Australia's population centroid (the effective centre of the universe for Australia's population) was some 39 km east of Ivanhoe in western New South Wales. It has not moved significantly in the last century.

simonl
5th Oct 2015, 12:55 PM
Rant over.
Combustor.

Why would anyone need to re-write them? DS is pre-determined, it's not like it's a random event. Besides, just because the clock goes forward an hour, things scheduled at (say) 0900 still happen at 0900. I can only see a potential for confusion if something was scheduled at 0200 but who does that? If I happen to work a nightshift at the start or the finish of DS, it makes no difference to me. I still get paid the same if I work an hour more or less.

Simon

eskimo
5th Oct 2015, 01:21 PM
Also hear that SA is considering moving their time to a full hour behind the Eastern bloc,

It was to move forward 1/2 an hour to line up with Eastern States.

I have not heard that the idea has been dropped at this stage. Lots of flack going on about tho.

kwijibo99
5th Oct 2015, 01:52 PM
I love daylight savings.
I put blinds on the shed window so there's no worries about that extra hour of sunlight fading the curtains.

Oldneweng
5th Oct 2015, 02:14 PM
It was to move forward 1/2 an hour to line up with Eastern States.

I have not heard that the idea has been dropped at this stage. Lots of flack going on about tho.

Correct. Slipped there.

There is always talk. You can't please everybody.

Dean

eskimo
5th Oct 2015, 03:44 PM
I love daylight savings.
I put blinds on the shed window so there's no worries about that extra hour of sunlight fading the curtains.

Now thats smart....can I pinch that idea

rogerbaker
5th Oct 2015, 04:16 PM
I get an extra hour of retirement each day.

Roger

jmebgo
5th Oct 2015, 04:59 PM
I get to take the kids for a walk before bed, quality time and I get some exercise. Win-win.

ian
5th Oct 2015, 05:16 PM
Personally, I love (I should say we love since its the whole family) DS. It's now daylight at about 5:00am instead of 4:00am and when I get home, it's still daylight.

I do have some sympathy for people like dairy farmers though.

Simon

My understanding is that DS is for the people. More daylight time available in the evening. I am with Simon. It gives me more time to work/play outside.

It is all done with computers and is probably automatic.

Dean

I love daylight savings.

I note these replies are all from "Mexicans" or "bloody Victorians" if you prefer.

The further north you go, the less effective "daylight saving" becomes
Mid December to Mid January, Hobart experiences nearly 16-1/2 hours of daylight -- measured from start to end of civil twilight
In Melbourne it's roughly 15-3/4 hours, in Brisbane it's roughly 14-3/4 hours, and in Townsville it's only 14.

Machtool
5th Oct 2015, 05:37 PM
Now thats smart....can I pinch that idea
In the winter time, I move the blinds to the inside of the windows. That keeps the electric light in. :D

My only concern is at the end of day light savings, when they wind the clock back an hour. I make it a point to never be on an airplane.

What if they run out of fuel, on that holding pattern circling the airport for that extra hour.

.RC.
5th Oct 2015, 07:47 PM
With daylight saving we should now see more projects in metal posted on the forum.

Oldneweng
5th Oct 2015, 09:05 PM
With daylight saving we should now see more projects in metal posted on the forum.

Yes, but only from Victoria. That leaves you out.:D

Dean

Chris Parks
5th Oct 2015, 11:51 PM
It used to drive me nuts in my job that QLD did not change with the rest of the Eastern seaboard. The drivers loved it though as they got an extra hour for the trip.

eskimo
6th Oct 2015, 09:24 AM
In the winter time, I move the blinds to the inside of the windows. That keeps the electric light in. :D

how does that work

Oldgreybeard
6th Oct 2015, 09:37 AM
how does that work

It's like if it is going to be near 40C and you put a woollen jumper on when you get up, it keeps the heat out
Always worked when I grew up in Mildura in the 50's.

Dingo Dog
7th Oct 2015, 11:08 AM
Hated daylight saving when they tried it here in West Oz. At the time, I lived and worked in the Pilbara on a iron ore mine. The hottest part of a summer day starts around 14:00 and continues onto 19:00, then drops a few degrees during the night, am not talking about your limp temps you have in the southern east parts of oz. Have worked through nights stemming holes for a blast pattern where the temp has not dropped below 30 C.

The further you are away from the equator, daylight saving may work for you, the closer you are to the equator, just does not work, you get more daylight then the average southner.

Business drives the move for daylight saving, REMFS over here in their suits dont like getting out of bed 2 hours earlier to make that phone call to the Eastern states.

Reverse the trend, wind your clocks back 2 hours and get in sync with our state instead.

DD

simonl
7th Oct 2015, 02:48 PM
Wind our clocks back? What for? This thread was about daylight savings, not about time zone differences.

Of course daylight saving won't work near the equator, the number of daylight hours compared to night time hours would hadly change throughout the year.
So if it's hottest between 1400 and 1900, then with DS it would be hottest between 1300 and 1800? Is that earth shattering?

Greater good for the greater number.

Simon

ian
7th Oct 2015, 03:32 PM
Wind our clocks back? What for? This thread was about daylight savings, not about time zone differences.

Of course daylight saving won't work near the equator, the number of daylight hours compared to night time hours would hadly change throughout the year.
So if it's hottest between 1400 and 1900, then with DS it would be hottest between 1300 and 1800? Is that earth shattering?

Greater good for the greater number.

Simonit works the other way
1400 to 1900 normal becomes 1500 to 2000 under DS

I too have worked in places where the overnight "low" during summer is over 35 degrees. Not a lot of fun

simonl
7th Oct 2015, 06:52 PM
it works the other way
1400 to 1900 normal becomes 1500 to 2000 under DS

I too have worked in places where the overnight "low" during summer is over 35 degrees. Not a lot of fun

Yep, I had a 50:50 chance and got it wrong! I still don't understand how DS will adversely affect you if the O/N min temps are 35 degrees.

Simon

eskimo
8th Oct 2015, 08:12 AM
I still don't understand how DS will adversely affect you if the O/N min temps are 35 degrees.

Simon

it must get hotter when a state has DS?