PDA

View Full Version : 3801 steam loco

neksmerj
1st Oct 2015, 11:15 PM
3801 won't mean much unless you are a steam train enthusiast, or a steam whisperer, I'm guilty.

3801 is a famous steam loco originating in NSW, it's basically a standard loco clad with stream lining panels.

There's a great Youtube video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OInd_WCd3qQ It's a little slow to get started, but well worth watching.

I wanted to be there when the driver cooked eggs and bacon on a shovel, shovel washed first of course.

Somewhere on Youtube is a great video of 3801 travelling from Sydney to Perth, and I can't find it again.

The train traveled all that way with some diesel assistance part of the way.

If you have a link to that video, I would appreciate it.

Ken

Vann
2nd Oct 2015, 11:44 PM
3801 won't mean much unless you are a steam train enthusiast, or a steam whisperer, I'm guilty...Yeah, me too.

I remember seeing that at the movies, years ago. Thanks for the link, it was good to see it again.

Cheers, Vann.

neksmerj
17th Oct 2015, 04:42 PM
Found it, a video showing 3801 including it's trip from Sydney to Perth.

It's a bit slow at the start, but you won't mind if you love steam locos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOc1dNBV7rY

Ken

chambezio
23rd Oct 2015, 07:47 AM
Being a Steam Loco enthusiast all his life, my Dad saved his pennies to be on the trip to Perth with 3801 and 3813. They were quite capable of doing the trip unaided but the regulations dictated that a diesel loco had to be hooked up as well. For photo shots they would disconnect the diesel then reverse back some distance then run the Steam 38s forward for the photo stops. He was quite thrilled to do the trip. I think it was something that he had wanted to do since he was a young man (he was born in 1914 and cashed in at 92 in 2007)
He has a large photo collection that he added to all his life. My brother is now custodian of that collection.
Dad used to say "dirty diesels!" and that a steam loco was "alive" to watch it work