PDA

View Full Version : Up in smoke

neksmerj
29th Sep 2015, 08:45 PM
This request for a solution requires some metalwork ideas.

I think we all want to be good friends with neighbours, especially when they request that I refrain from lighting my back yard open fire. What?....I love having an open fire, it's cozy and warm especially with a glass or two of medicine, and I love the smell of burning wood.

My neighbour is 200 feet west of me over my back fence, and complained that the smoke was getting into his house. He also complained of me splitting logs at eleven at night. That's fair enough, I shall comply with that request.

Back to the smoke, is it possible to draw off the smoke and run it through a water bath or something to make it less offensive?

My open fire is a metal tray 600 long x 300 wide x 100 deep on legs.

Twelve months ago the local council wrote to me to say I was burning off rubbish in my back yard, now I know where the complaint came from.

Whilst talking to him this arvo, I forgot to mention his bloody dogs that bark at nothing. An opportunity missed.

I am thinking that I should put up a weather vane and only light the fire when a westerly is blowing.

PS, I have inherited a dead wallnut tree with enough wood to last me for several years, it splits beautifully.

Any ideas?

Ken

.RC.
29th Sep 2015, 09:10 PM
If your neighbour thinks your little wood fire is offensive, he would not like me to be his neighbour.. Visualise Mount Krakatoa in full eruption :D

PDW
29th Sep 2015, 09:53 PM
If your neighbour thinks your little wood fire is offensive, he would not like me to be his neighbour.. Visualise Mount Krakatoa in full eruption :D

He wouldn't like me, either. I managed to turn some of the neighbour's pine trees into flaming beacons on the weekend. They were too close to the fence and radiata pines are a weed species anyway.

I'm so glad I no longer live in suburbia.....

PDW

YBAF
29th Sep 2015, 10:18 PM

Heh, dont think ya could be as bad as my neighbors. My neighbors got an unlimited budget and every year they come sucking at my dams. :U

RayG
29th Sep 2015, 10:25 PM
I'm willing to predict that if he's the complaining type, there's nothing you can ever do to shut them up.

Do you have any yellow sulphur, that burns with a nice blue very aromatic flame.. buy an anvil and take up blacksmithing after midnight, play some Nick Cave quite loud... Maybe then he will think a little smoke is not so bad...

Yes, I realize I'm no help at all.. but you are allowed to dream.

Michael G
29th Sep 2015, 10:35 PM
I was thinking of a welding fume extractor or a water wall paint booth - but the thing about both of them is that they are noisy (fan driven), so may just swap one irritant for another.

Michael

KBs PensNmore
30th Sep 2015, 12:16 AM
My neighbour was banging on my door at 2.30 AM, just as well I was up, playing the bagpipes:D
To really peeve him off, tell him that you are going to learn to play them.

mcostello
30th Sep 2015, 03:08 AM
Do You have a willing "fair maiden"? Just "bother Her" in the evening and they will be glad for ANYTHING else You would do.:D

Steamwhisperer
30th Sep 2015, 07:12 AM
Hi Ken
not sure if this helps but I ran a boiler once that was sawdust fired (originally briquette) and it had what was called a 'grit re-fire line' that took the smoke (which is just unburnt fuel) back into the furnace. A lot of smoke was controlled that way.
Downside is you will need excess air but this could be overcome (sort of) with induced draught which is basically a fan in the pipe from the cowling over your fire that leads back 'under' the fire.
I can see it in my head but as usual I am useless at explaining things :doh:

Phil

.RC.
30th Sep 2015, 08:38 AM
All he needs is if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, to really help his neighbour out, get one of these devices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9J91Iq52Bk and use it to blow the smoke the other way..

The neighbour would be very happy I would think..

eskimo
30th Sep 2015, 08:57 AM
All he needs is if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, to really help his neighbour out, get one of these devices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9J91Iq52Bk and use it to blow the smoke the other way..

The neighbour would be very happy I would think..

why do persons do that sort of thing...would love one in mybackyard but....I have a few irratating neighbors

DSEL74
30th Sep 2015, 09:10 AM
We had a neighbour complain that we should not watch TV after 9pm as they built her bedroom 3-4m from the existing lounge of our house and she likes to sleep with the bedroom window open so we must have our windows closed because she doesn't want to hear us.

Some people will never be happy and think the world revolves around them.

If you ran a side draft flue above the fire and got the smoke high enough it may pass over the neighbour and not be such an issue. Side draft flues are supposed to draw their own air without need of a fan etc.

eskimo
30th Sep 2015, 10:27 AM
This request for a solution requires some metalwork ideas.

I think we all want to be good friends with neighbours, especially when they request that I refrain from lighting my back yard open fire. What?....I love having an open fire, it's cozy and warm especially with a glass or two of medicine, and I love the smell of burning wood.

My neighbour is 200 feet west of me over my back fence, and complained that the smoke was getting into his house. He also complained of me splitting logs at eleven at night. That's fair enough, I shall comply with that request.

Back to the smoke, is it possible to draw off the smoke and run it through a water bath or something to make it less offensive?

My open fire is a metal tray 600 long x 300 wide x 100 deep on legs.

Twelve months ago the local council wrote to me to say I was burning off rubbish in my back yard, now I know where the complaint came from.

Whilst talking to him this arvo, I forgot to mention his bloody dogs that bark at nothing. An opportunity missed.

I am thinking that I should put up a weather vane and only light the fire when a westerly is blowing.

PS, I have inherited a dead wallnut tree with enough wood to last me for several years, it splits beautifully.

Any ideas?

Ken

if I was you ...I'd ignore the complaint and keep enjoying your fire...to me it is no different to those around me who have wood fires in their homes for winter...

I cannot complain as they are allowed to do it...I stoke up the pizza oven to get revenge....lol

Abratool
30th Sep 2015, 11:03 AM
Read your concern, Ken, & I honestly cannot understand how anyone like your neighbour, can complain about trivia, when we live in the best country in the world !!!
I do like a good fire each night, through the winter, with a glass or 2 of red, its good medicine.
However, the only thing I can suggest, to overcome your problem, is to burn very dry wood, stuff that's 2 or 3 yrs old. Anything with any sap in it will smoke and smell & be slow burning. Get a good hot fire going & all is well.
I would have perhaps, 30 tons of firewood that I have split & stacked ready for next winter, & winters to come.
Like wine, you can never have enough wood, in storage, ready to draw from !!!
Keep the home fires burning, & good luck, with the complaining neighbour.
Bruce

YBAF
30th Sep 2015, 12:18 PM
Heh, since we is at the wine stage :wink:

The thread title got me thinking, why don't ya just chuck some mouwy wowey on the fire. The neighbours will be asking for more smoke :U

Toggy
30th Sep 2015, 08:26 PM
Ken, throw a few dry cow 'pats' on the fire when the wind is blowing his way. With a bit of luck he will choke on the stink. Problem solved. Everybody else should be happy that you kept the mossies at bay.

The other Ken.

mcostello
1st Oct 2015, 01:29 AM
Your neighbors should consider them selves lucky. I live in the country, a house about 150 yards away had a child yelling "mommy" about every 2 seconds, went on for about 20 minutes. Had to work outside, and that frazzled My nerves. Thinking about calling the local law enforcement next time.

Oldneweng
1st Oct 2015, 09:16 PM
Your neighbors should consider them selves lucky. I live in the country, a house about 150 yards away had a child yelling "mommy" about every 2 seconds, went on for about 20 minutes. Had to work outside, and that frazzled My nerves. Thinking about calling the local law enforcement next time.

150 yards? Not my idea of country. My nearest neighbour is 1.5km (nearly 1 mile). They had dogs that barked constantly at times but we could barely hear them. They have now retired and moved into town. The current owner only visits to check stock etc. That what I call a perfect situation. There are neighbours not to far away, but not to close either.

Dean

mcostello
2nd Oct 2015, 07:08 AM
If I could only add 1000 yards to that 150................!

Oldneweng
2nd Oct 2015, 05:28 PM
If I could only add 1000 yards to that 150................!

Believe me, those distances were very much involved in the decision to buy the property as we were living in a small town with barking dogs to the sides and a timber mill behind. The mill actually bought our place to shut us up when they realised I was willing to stand up and be heard, plus other stuff like the EPA. They bought the whole row of 5 houses.

Dean

.RC.
2nd Oct 2015, 06:50 PM
Ken, throw a few dry cow 'pats' on the fire when the wind is blowing his way. With a bit of luck he will choke on the stink.

What stink? They do not stink...

YBAF
2nd Oct 2015, 07:34 PM
What stink? They do not stink...

Lost the sense of smell after living near Gracemere have we... :U

Mike4
2nd Oct 2015, 07:35 PM
If he thinks a bit of wood smoke is bad,then chop up a tyre and drop the bits in.

That stinks and will choke most whingers.
Michael

Toggy
2nd Oct 2015, 07:37 PM
Nah; he just thinks that he is better than the rest of us and his cow poop don't stink.:)

Ken

Dingo Dog
3rd Oct 2015, 12:02 PM
I would say your neighbour is a city bread and raised fella, has never enjoyed a comforting open fire in the bush, with a glass of favourite brew, a few mates, a dog and wide open sky night to enjoy. How sad is that.

Once had a neighbour from SA, two small girls who screamed every day all day, from the moment they woke to the time they lay their heads on the pillow at night. 3 months of this was enough for my rattled nerves, the mongrel escaped out of me, I devised a selfish plan. The morning was crisp, the music loud and one song on an endless loop, Pantera's "The great southern trendkill" borrowed from my young nephew. Standing on the back deck facing the house I screamed in unison with the start of the song, letting out all that venom of three months of young voices, for a good twenty minutes.

Nothing was said by me, but the woman living with me at the time heard them speaking a few days after with the real estate agent while packing up their car moving, that a nutter lived next door to them.

DD

shedhappens
3rd Oct 2015, 02:02 PM
DD, I reckon that you forgot mention that you were only wearing a blue tee shirt and were swinging around a 3/4 empty goonie..........

shed

soundman
3rd Oct 2015, 02:32 PM
in all seriousness , I can see a metal working project of monserous proportions here.

I see a ciucular paved area with a low brick hearth at its centre ..... all this covered with an all metal rotunda that has a 20 foot high chimeny rising from its centre.

In most cities these days " back yard burning" is pretty much outlawed ..... but there does seem to be allowance for "cooking fires" ..... so regardless you would be wise to equip yourself with a stick and a packet of frankfurts as a minimum.

Some friends who lead "alternative lifestyles" tell me that if you burn leaves and stems of a certain plant, you neibours may "mello out", but this may be frownedupon by certain parts of the community.

cheers

neksmerj
3rd Oct 2015, 09:11 PM
Hi soundman,

don't suppose gum leaves and twigs would do the trick. I have those in abundance.

The smell of burning gum leaves turns me on, imparts a smokey flavour into the sausages.

Ken

scottyd
3rd Oct 2015, 09:52 PM
You guys arnt taking this whole dealing-with-the-neighbors-slash-getting-some-metalwork-done thing seriously. Im sure a lot of us have considered a little foundry and furnace work from time to time, surely this would kill two birds with one stone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jESz7Zl8).

neksmerj
3rd Oct 2015, 10:34 PM
scottyd,

Now you're talking. Are you suggesting I set up a blast furnace with ancillary anvils and sledge hammers up next to my back fence opposite my neighbors house.

I'm sure that would evoke a confrontation, although I would not be able to hear the verbal abuse whilst forging a couple of swords.

Ken

Harry72
3rd Oct 2015, 10:46 PM
Id contact the local council and see what the law is in your area on cooking fires as Soundman suggests... the smell of Pizza or BBQ is hard to complain about :2tsup:

neksmerj
3rd Oct 2015, 11:09 PM
Hi Harry72.

After being dobbed in for "burning off" in my backyard some 12 months ago, I did contact the local council. Burning off rubbish, leaves etc is banned, but having an open fire to cook on is ok.

I don't always light a fire to cook on, but just enjoy an open fire as I've done since childhood. I know other neighbours in the area have fires, as soon as I walk outside I can smell it and love it.

I probably should have a meeting with my neighbour and suggest he close his windows when he smells smoke.

Ken

scottyd
4th Oct 2015, 07:57 AM
...although I would not be able to hear the verbal abuse whilst forging a couple of swords.

Im not sure youll hear anything ever again actually!

Oldneweng
4th Oct 2015, 10:04 AM
After being dobbed in for "burning off" in my backyard some 12 months ago, I did contact the local council. Burning off rubbish, leaves etc is banned, but having an open fire to cook on is ok.

I many areas the lighting of a fire for "cooking" purposes is allowed even during fire seasons. It comes under the heading of necessity.

My step son found this out while running a youth group.

Dean

BobL
4th Oct 2015, 11:49 AM
You all think you have it tough. Our place is inner city narrow blocks, can only walk down in between houses. On one side lives a Greek family. Every few weeks and sometimes a couple of times a week they hold parties where 2/3 gas BBQs fire up and cook up a mountain of "effnic" mouth watering food. The aroma covers the neighbourhood and is a bit hard to take when were siting inside with our Sunday night cheddar on toast. A few times when there has been crowd, one of the neighbours have popped in beforehand to say they will be having a party and left a couple of sleeping pills (bottled of red). Once when it threaten rain they need something to erect cover over the BBQs so I dropped a half dozen tent poles and a tarp over the fence. A couple of hours later a large tray of marinated grilled lamb was handed back over the fence.

KBs PensNmore
4th Oct 2015, 04:40 PM
Now that's what I call a GREAT neighbour, gives a bottle or two of Red and a Feed.:2tsup:.

Abratool
5th Oct 2015, 12:57 PM
I agree with Bob L
Years ago (45 yrs back) when I moved out to the bush, where I have been living all of these years, had a complaint from my neighbour who lives, about 300 yds away.
Took over a bottle of red, & the problem was solved, he opened it up on the spot & shared with me.
Never had a complaint since !!!
There are ways of dealing with these complaint problems, a gift, & a few kind words, often brings out the best in people.
Bruce

soundman
5th Oct 2015, 02:16 PM
But the fact is there are some neibours , particularly in rural and semi-rural areas that have no interest in being your friend and no interest in being co-operative.

Gifts will not achieve a thing and kind word will be taken as a sign of weakness and contrition intrencing the situation.

Not all cases ..... but far from uncommon.

cheers

cheers

morrisman
5th Oct 2015, 09:15 PM
I gave my neighbour a 100kW 3 phase generator, driven by a Cummins 6BT engine . The unit is a obsolete backup power unit for a ABC radio transmitter . My neighbour has had it wired up to his shed and he told me it runs great . It had a large dummy load on the roof and I am waiting to see how long the motor lasts as its now only powering a farm shed and it will have a very small load . The unit was given to me and delivered free of charge but the thought of a large diesel guzzling 6 litre turbo engine and 100kW ..... the unit could power a small town . It took 4 large batteries to start it too . BTW this neighbour is very friendly and always helpful, he has moved a few of my lathes with his tractor and pulled out bogged trucks .