PDA

View Full Version : Brief History of Dawn Tools

neksmerj
1st Sep 2015, 08:38 PM
The follow brief history of Dawn I lifted from their catalogue.

Dawn commenced operations in the Melbourne suburb of Coburg, Victoria in 1917 under the name of Dawn Manufacturing Co. It was founded by four brothers surname Blake, who were all engineers. The first products manufactured were vices.

After the first World War, Dawn grew considerably and was selling it's products all over Australia. They were very busy during the depression with each employee working 60-80 hours a week. During the second World War, Dawn was supplying vices and clamps to the Australian Defence Department.

In 1959 the company was taken over by the G.N. Raymond Group. The Dawn catalogue now included a wide range of engineer's vices, woodworker's vices, plumber's vices and equipment, G-clamps, quick action clamps and toggle clamps in 1973. Dawn was acquired by Siddons Ramset Limited. In December 1991 Dawn became a unit of the United States owned Stanley Works Pty. Ltd.

In November 1998 Dawn regained it's 100% Australian ownership and now as a separate strategic business unit, is in an excellent position to improve and expand it's manufacturing and marketing operations in Australia.

Over 90 years experience and investigation into the design and metallurgical practice are embodied in the fabrication of Dawn's premium quality products.
Our customers have given enormous support to our policy over the years tp produce Australian products that compare with the world's best.

I spoke to a Dawn rep today and was told Dawn have foundries around Australia, and import very little product from overseas.

A few days back I asked if anyone had any old images of the Dawn logo, MichaelG came forth, however the image is not sharp and clear.

Q1. I'm going to repaint a couple of vices and would like to reproduce the old Dawn logo, image attached

Q2. Can anyone suggest what colour red they were painted?

Edit, not able to upload the image, so I'll try to describe it.

The word "DAWN" is written in a blue horizontal banner superimposed over an orange gear wheel. Both banner and gear outline is gold. In the upper half of the gear wheel are the letters GNR, in the lower half of the gear wheel are the words Made in Austrlaia.

Ken

YBAF
1st Sep 2015, 10:38 PM
Q2. Can anyone suggest what colour red they were painted?

Looking at some of my Dawn stuff they appear to be all different shades of red to burgundy. Perhaps the paint changes with age.

Though why try to make it look freshly painted ?

IMO, an aged patina looks good. In an attempt to make fresh paint look a bit aged something I've been trying is to mix some black and matting agent into the paint mix. Still a ways to go to get the 'look' though fun trying :cool:

DSEL74
2nd Sep 2015, 07:21 PM
If it has GR in the logo it is post 1959 as per your history.

Michael G
2nd Sep 2015, 07:46 PM
The original

The cleaned up version.
My photo tools are very basic, so if someone can tidy it up some more...
Michael

neksmerj
2nd Sep 2015, 09:57 PM
I would have thought there would be a bit more interest in Dawn, let's face it, we all had a Dawn vice including our fathers and grandfathers.

One of their factories is close to me so I'm going to see if I can do a tour.

Did you used to work at Dawn and can add to the history?

I'm really pleased it's back in Australian hands.

Ken

neksmerj
2nd Sep 2015, 11:38 PM
I went back to my first post to edit it, add photo, and to my dismay, no edit feature. I was logged in.

Mods, is this feature still to be sorted out?

Ken

Machtool
3rd Sep 2015, 11:18 AM
I went back to my first post to edit it, add photo, and to my dismay, no edit feature. I was logged in.

Ken.

I think there's a time limit, like 24 hours in which you can edit a post.

Phil.

DSEL74
4th Sep 2015, 05:08 PM

Hope this helps.

neksmerj
4th Sep 2015, 08:26 PM
Dsel74.

That's great, in fact it's too good.What package did you use to draw it up.

Much obliged,

Ken

DSEL74
5th Sep 2015, 09:55 AM
Dsel74.

That's great, in fact it's too good.What package did you use to draw it up.

Much obliged,

Ken

I used the original as a template and then drew free hand over the top in Adobe illustrator. Consider it "returning the favour" or "paying it forward" for the assistance i have received from guys on here. Finally something I was capable to do to help someone else out.

Burner
6th Sep 2015, 05:33 PM
Do you or anyone else know anything about the Dawn post drills? They must have sold a heap of them. They were pretty good compared to some of the imported drills and held up well even when driven by electric motors. I have one that my grandfather bought brand new.

I found a way to add that aged patina, in fact most of the things in my shed have it. Its called age and neglect!!

DSEL74
7th Sep 2015, 06:23 PM
Do you or anyone else know anything about the Dawn post drills? They must have sold a heap of them. They were pretty good compared to some of the imported drills and held up well even when driven by electric motors. I have one that my grandfather bought brand new.

I found a way to add that aged patina, in fact most of the things in my shed have it. Its called age and neglect!!

I know a little bit about them I have a few. Dawn made other drill presses also, not just the post drills.
Which model have you got (embossed number on side)? What do you want to know about em?

YBAF
23rd Sep 2015, 11:05 PM
How goes the paint job ?