PDA

View Full Version : Line shaft machine shop- Youtube

AndrewOC
16th Jun 2015, 01:43 PM
G'day all,
My mate shared a new Youtube clip with me, I thought the forum may be interested in seeing it also.

Search in youtube; 'old time steam powered machine shop'

or try; https://youtu.be/9WXHNBMLZZM

Regs,
AndrewOC

neksmerj
16th Jun 2015, 07:26 PM
What a great video and insight into the olden day workshop.

I reckon Steamwhisperer (Phil) would be in his element there.

Phil, I reckon it's time for you to make a similar video.

Ken

Steamwhisperer
16th Jun 2015, 08:15 PM
What a great video and insight into the olden day workshop.

I reckon Steamwhisperer (Phil) would be in his element there.

Phil, I reckon it's time for you to make a similar video.

Ken

Hi Ken
about 5 minutes in I was wondering where I could pick up a boiler :oo:
Great link Andrew :2tsup:

Phil

neksmerj
16th Jun 2015, 08:30 PM
Phil,

You might find a spare one on the Hill!

If not, make one. There's probably enough stuff in the back shed to make several, if you can get in......

Ken

Steamwhisperer
16th Jun 2015, 09:14 PM
Hmmm there's a nice on at the metal spinners Ken lol.

Phil

neksmerj
16th Jun 2015, 10:23 PM
I know watch makers work with very small tools, is it true that maintenance men have big tools?

No, I don't really want to know, but.............

Ken

Ropetangler
16th Jun 2015, 11:54 PM
Thank you Andrew for this fantastic link:)
Rob

AndrewOC
17th Jun 2015, 10:45 AM
Pleasure is all mine!
Thanks to my mate who put me on to it, been interesting following the viewer numbers- 'viral' steam video??

Yes, it is true maintenance men have big tools, but I'm a maintenance officer, does that mean I just have a big pen?

Would anyone have an idea on how many horsepower his steam engine could put out? I think he says it is a 5" x 5".

enjoy,
AndrewOC

wheelinround
17th Jun 2015, 11:41 AM
Andrew that boiler at Campbeltown/Menagle would work well hooked up to the big green shed and a rail system I reckon.

Steamwhisperer
17th Jun 2015, 01:30 PM
Pleasure is all mine! Thanks to my mate who put me on to it, been interesting following the viewer numbers- 'viral' steam video?? Yes, it is true maintenance men have big tools, but I'm a maintenance officer, does that mean I just have a big pen? Would anyone have an idea on how many horsepower his steam engine could put out? I think he says it is a 5" x 5". enjoy, AndrewOC
Hi Andrew
Which one do you want
Indicated, brake or nominal horsepower.
You'd need an indicator to measure the first. I have one but it needs a little repair.
Brake and it needs to be hooked up to a Prony brake.
We have one at work but...
Nominal uses dimensions and boiler pressure but won't tell you true horsepower and was more than likely thought up by the salesman lol.
At a guess I would say about 8 but I might be horribly wrong.

Phil

DSEL74
17th Jun 2015, 11:54 PM
I met a guy who builds steam boats the other day and he has a big boiler like that sitting in his drive! These boats are amazing about twice the size of a dingy and you can go sailing in them. I love the guy in the videos shop, he is living my dream. I was going to one set up my machines to run off a line shaft from an old stationary engine now I want to nick the boiler from the drive :B

Also I have an almost identical drill to his bench top drill, same design different makers name. Actually his is the same as the Burke #22 mine is a Burke #25. Thanks Stu for pointing out the thread to me.

AndrewOC
7th Jul 2015, 02:07 PM
G'day all,
Dave Richards has uploaded another video of his wonderous machine shop.
This time he runs through using the old shaper, drill press, lathe and pipe threading die.
He promises more to come.
enjoy,

AndrewOC

DSEL74
8th Jul 2015, 12:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zI0iozg3Ns

AndrewOC
13th Jun 2016, 08:18 PM
New video is up!
David Richards has posted his latest; #11. Out June 5th on youtube.
Search ' OLD STEAM POWERED MACHINE SHOP 11 '
As a reminder, others are titled ' OLD TIME STEAM POWERED MACHINE SHOP_ _ '
https://youtu.be/lRee7m0KJ_U
Good little pick-me-up to counter the end-of-long-weekend blues...
enjoy,
AndrewOC

AndrewOC
11th Aug 2016, 08:53 PM
Well David is at it again; video #12 in the series. This time he is starting on the restoration of an old un-named single vertical steam engine. Excellent viewing for the 2:30am baby rocking I'm now doing :)
Good timing, coinciding with Steamwhisperer's latest steam engine resto project.
regs,
A.