PDA

View Full Version : Tool rack from scrap.

AndrewOC
29th May 2015, 03:56 PM
G'day smith-ers!
Half welding sub-forum, half blacksmithing...
Made this rack, some years ago, to conveniently hold many heavy forging tools and be easy to move around workshop with a pallet-jack.

...your rack is, er, rustic!

This shot demonstrates how the tools clear each other and the longer handles are in the top bars to clear the pallet jack/ floor.

Hope this is of interest to someone.
AndrewOC

DSEL74
29th May 2015, 07:22 PM
What it the tool in the top row looks like a sledge wit a hot cut at right angles on opposite side.

I'm starting on my tool rack which isn't as heavy duty as yours and planning to do forged tenon joins. I'm practising the tenons now and making monkey tools etc.

AndrewOC
30th May 2015, 11:33 AM
Dunno exactly what that tool is. My guess is a set-hammer/flatter that has a long 'leg' to reach under an overhang. Example in mind is to dress flat a flange from inside a Cee channel or I beam... or something like that.

Tenon joints in blacksmithing always look better! We did 2 square rivet jobs on the CSMM Rally weekend; dragons wings and a plate on the business end of a boiler rake. The square means you only needed one 'rivet' to stop the parts turning.

regs,
AndrewOC

DSEL74
30th May 2015, 11:20 PM
Speaking of rivets is there someplace I can get rivets for use in blacksmith "hot rivets"? I have just been using 6 & 8mm round bar, be nice just to have a box of proper ones.

Vann
4th Jun 2015, 06:06 PM
Speaking of rivets is there someplace I can get rivets for use in blacksmith "hot rivets"? I have just been using 6 & 8mm round bar, be nice just to have a box of proper ones.I have a box of rivets you can have. Unfortunately they're 3/4" x 4" long, boiler rivets - so just a touch big maybe :D

Cheers, Vann.

Corin
16th Jun 2015, 03:18 PM
Speaking of rivets is there someplace I can get rivets for use in blacksmith "hot rivets"? I have just been using 6 & 8mm round bar, be nice just to have a box of proper ones.

Gameco is just about to start selling them..... soon in small quantities....

Steamwhisperer
16th Jun 2015, 11:47 PM
Hi Dale what dimensions are you after.
I might be able to get my hands on some.

Phil

DSEL74
17th Jun 2015, 07:20 PM
Hi Phil,

I'm after an assortment for making tongs, brackets etc, so 6-8mm Dia, and 10-30mm long I guess. I don't actually know what sizes are standard but I could use any in that range and head shape doesn't matter much. If they are too long I can cut them down.

By the way what ever came of that Teclamet Oiler???

Steamwhisperer
18th Jun 2015, 05:53 AM
I'm embarrassed now Dale :-
When I got them I did them straight away and hung them up to see if they would leak. Not a drop after about a month.
I took one to work and use it there on the Dormac and Jones and Shipman and promptly forgot about yours. I stumbled across it last weekend and thought I really should do something about that and promptly forgot that too :oo:
I will empty it and post it with what rivets I am allowed to grab
Sincere apologies

Phil

DSEL74
18th Jun 2015, 10:34 AM
Don't stress Phil the lathe has been in pieces most of this time anyway, but I have scraped it and it is getting put back together now so timing is all good.