PDA

View Full Version : Hercus Mill Operators Manual

bwal74
10th Mar 2015, 07:14 AM
Hi,

There's a Hercus Mill Operator's Manual on ebay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171712230596?_trksid=p2060778.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks like a photo copy but since they are rare as hen's teeth I'm bidding on it. If I win it, I'll be happy to p/c / scan it for members who may want it.

Ben

SurfinNev
10th Mar 2015, 08:54 AM
The better manual has 56 pages and the copy I have was from Hercus, bought on eBay.

http://www.fwhercus.com.au/jrdebay/ebay/Spares/NO0_MILLING_MACHINE_OPERATOR_MAN.htm

lyleman
10th Mar 2015, 10:14 AM
The better manual has 56 pages and the copy I have was from Hercus, bought on eBay.

http://www.fwhercus.com.au/jrdebay/ebay/Spares/NO0_MILLING_MACHINE_OPERATOR_MAN.htm

Hi Nev, Does that manual cover the later OLM machine?, or is there not much difference between the two.
Lyle.

SurfinNev
10th Mar 2015, 11:30 AM
Lyle.

I'll have a look for the manual later and let you know what it covers.

lyleman
10th Mar 2015, 02:10 PM
Lyle.

I'll have a look for the manual later and let you know what it covers.

Thanks Mate.

WCD
10th Mar 2015, 08:20 PM
A work colleague has an "O" mill but does not know the spindle speeds - any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

SurfinNev
10th Mar 2015, 09:33 PM
Hi Nev, Does that manual cover the later OLM machine?, or is there not much difference between the two.
Lyle.

Are you thinking the OLM is the three slot machine? Mine is an OLM but two slot. Pretty sure the M is for metric. Wish I could remember what the L means. Anyway I found the manual. It covers pretty much everything about the mill. Not looked at the manual for a while and just noticed it has table dimensions for the three slot, but all pics and diagrams show the two slot table. Now I'm a little confused.

Spindle speeds in the manual seem to only show minimum and maximum, so I will need to look at the chart on the mill tomorrow sometime. Hope it's still on the inside of the door. My mill is still in pieces. Vertical spindle speeds are 1 1/4 times the horizontal according to the manual.

lyleman
10th Mar 2015, 09:49 PM
Hi Nev,
Yes mine is the 3 slot table metric unit.
Mine is serial # OLM 578 so it is a fairly late one. It has the 16 speed gearbox ( I Think) It has the two step pulley on the motor.
Lyle

lyleman
11th Mar 2015, 08:07 PM
Hi Bill, I will take a photo of the spindle speed plate on my mill when I am near it next, It may be a couple of days though.
Lyle.

SurfinNev
11th Mar 2015, 08:07 PM
Here's a pic of speed chart -

WCD
11th Mar 2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks for that photo Nev, and thanks also Lyle - I am interested in the speed range of the 16 speed version, in particular the top speed.
My colleague wants to run a 2mm end mill and I am thinking hand feeding will need to be v cautious unless the speed (with vertical head) can be increased a bit.
Cheers,
Bill

lyleman
11th Mar 2015, 09:16 PM
Here is a really bad pic off my phone. I will take a good one when I can.

lyleman
12th Mar 2015, 09:09 PM
I looked at my vertical head that I have apart to clean the grease out of it, the gear ratio is 1.03:1. There is not much overdrive there.
I had read that it was much higher than that.
Lyle.

SurfinNev
12th Mar 2015, 09:50 PM
I looked at my vertical head that I have apart to clean the grease out of it, the gear ratio is 1.03:1. There is not much overdrive there.
I had read that it was much higher than that.
Lyle.

Manual states 1.3:1. There were also two options for motors. 1/2 and 3/4 Hp. The 3/4 was a high speed motor which doubled the standard speeds.

Lyle. Does you mill not have gearing on the motor?

Nev.

WCD
12th Mar 2015, 10:59 PM
Here is a really bad pic off my phone. I will take a good one when I can.

Thanks Lyle - that's perfect for me.
Regards,
Bill

lyleman
13th Mar 2015, 09:43 AM
Manual states 1.3:1. There were also two options for motors. 1/2 and 3/4 Hp. The 3/4 was a high speed motor which doubled the standard speeds.

Lyle. Does you mill not have gearing on the motor?

Nev.

Hi Nev,
Mine is 1/2 horse I think. My motor has a two step toothed belt pulley on the end of it. The motor itself has no internal gear reduction / stepup if thats what you mean. If I need more speed i will just drive it through a VFD and overdrive it by stepping up the frequency a bit. As it appears to have roller bearings on all the spindles so it should be fine to do this. I will get it cleaned up ind into service and see how it goes. The lack of speed would only be a problem when using endmills i would think. The gears in the vert head are 33 tooth drive and 32 tooth driven.
Lyle.

lyleman
15th Mar 2015, 01:58 PM
Hi Nev,
Mine is 1/2 horse I think. My motor has a two step toothed belt pulley on the end of it. The motor itself has no internal gear reduction / stepup if thats what you mean. If I need more speed i will just drive it through a VFD and overdrive it by stepping up the frequency a bit. As it appears to have roller bearings on all the spindles so it should be fine to do this. I will get it cleaned up ind into service and see how it goes. The lack of speed would only be a problem when using endmills i would think. The gears in the vert head are 33 tooth drive and 32 tooth driven.
Lyle.

Just realized that I made a small error in he vertical head speed calc http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/doh.gif, I forgot to factor in the primary drive gear ratio from the spindle mounted drive gear to the vert head. This is 1.3:1. The secondary drive through the bevel gears in the head is then 1.03:1.
Hope this clarifies things.
Regards, Lyle.