PDA

View Full Version : Not gunsmithing, not even a real gun but...

bwal74
24th Dec 2014, 08:28 PM
Hi,

It's not gunsmithing but it's something I get to make up every now and then.

It's a plastic replica of a M4A1 Assault Rifle mounted in a frame with some bling added to it. I made this one up for a mate I served with O/S so I put some extra time and effort in it with the badges, medals, coin and painting etc.

We use a silicon mould and a two part poly urethane resin mix for the cast.

Ben

ps everything in the plaque is legal.

fubar
24th Dec 2014, 11:50 PM
Nice one

Retromilling
11th Nov 2017, 12:37 PM
Not wanting to rain on any parade but I always thought any relica firearm were illegal in NSW anyway. Unless they are of a style or colour that shows they are toys .
That looks convincingly real . Have you actually run it buy a Police licensing branch or the Firearms registry ?
" The NSW Firearms act 1996 states an imitation firearm does not include objects produced and identified as a children’s toy " . Dose not look like a toy to me especially if you are staring down the muzzle end
Maybe the moulding is only one side of the gun so that may be legal .

bwal74
13th Nov 2017, 08:44 PM
Nope, as long as it's less than 50% or less in thickness it's ok. It's only one side. The Army used to give inoculated (made safe) .303 Lee Enfield rifles to retiring Chief of Army or RSM-Army and other high ranking/important people but then they'd get stuck with a weapon that needed to be registered with the authorities.

So we started making these up. I don't make them anymore but you can buy them from various places.

Ben.