PDA

View Full Version : Your Screen Name

Pages : [1] 2

craigb
16th Jun 2005, 10:32 PM
I was wondering how the members came up with their screen names.

For myself, I wanted to post a question on the board and found out that I'd have to register first. At the time, I had no idea if there were other "craigs" so the easiest thing was to add the first letter of my surname to my first name.

Of course, I fairly quickly realised that this was not a particularly witty choice. :rolleyes:

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't pick the same screen name again, but after nearly 3,000 posts I'm well and truely stuck with it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, to stop rambling, I was wondering why you members chose the screen names that you did.

scooter
16th Jun 2005, 10:39 PM
Mine came from my namesake scooter on the muppet show, I wore glasses (pre laser treatment) up until 9 years ago, and some witty soul thought I looked like him :).

Cheers..............Sean

Gumby
16th Jun 2005, 10:40 PM
Well, when i was born, I had a large bump on the side of my head. I was also made of plasticine. So they called me Gumby

When I logged on here, not agreeing with people using ficticious names and hiding behind a image to show their absolute insecurity with the world, I used my real name.

I mean, take that Graham Sands guy who posts on here. I wonder what his real name is. :confused:

echnidna
16th Jun 2005, 10:44 PM
I had seen an echidna earlier in the day.
the"n" was a typo

Gumby
16th Jun 2005, 10:47 PM
I had seen an echidna earlier in the day.
the"n" was a typo

Lucky you didn't see two dogs................ :D

routermaniac
16th Jun 2005, 10:49 PM
when I bought my first router I loved it so much that I couldnt put it down. Useful little buggers.... then I got to build a router table... and then I bought the triton and table, and then another router... welll you get the point, I WAS obsessed with routers.

Luckily that was just a phase and I am fully cured of that obsession, the flavour of the past few months has been handtools, esp planes... tell you what, they certainly are much more fun than a router :p

regards

marios

gatiep
16th Jun 2005, 10:54 PM
AS most of you have discovered from my 'accent', I originally came from South Africa. In the Cape province ( I'm from Natal & the Transvaal ) the 'coloured' people have a habit of using a generic name for the males , i.e. Gatiep and Maraai for the females. I'm not one of them but I thought it would make it easy for fellow bb members from South Africa to work out my country of birth. After my first post Derek Cohen ( must be his non deplume ) asked me if I was from South Africa, so either he heard my accent in my typing or put 2 + 2 together and got 5.

DanP
16th Jun 2005, 10:56 PM
Can't remember.

Groggy
16th Jun 2005, 11:01 PM
Can't remember.Yeah, that's my excuse too...:)

knucklehead
16th Jun 2005, 11:05 PM
cos its true!!!!!!!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

DavidG
16th Jun 2005, 11:09 PM
craigb - Same as you.

Grunt
16th Jun 2005, 11:13 PM
I was going to choose Ozwinner but it was already taken. Ugg.

craigb
16th Jun 2005, 11:28 PM
Dear dear dear.

Grunt, Groggy Knuckles and Dan. You just can't be serious for one nanosecond can you?.

Don't you realise that most people are bored stupid by your flippant responses and your constant attempts at hijacking threads?

It's not funny boys. (Well, actually it is, just don't tell it to sad Taswegians and you'll be o.k. ;) )

knucklehead
16th Jun 2005, 11:32 PM
May be I'll change my name to "flippant responses".

That should atleast give fair warning that all that follows is nonsense.

Grunt
16th Jun 2005, 11:35 PM
Craig,

Sorry for the flippant responses. I don't like myself most of the time and I never listen to what I have to say. That is good advice for everyone.

DanP
16th Jun 2005, 11:42 PM
Grunt, I don't think I want to know the real reason for yours. :p

Dan

Groggy
16th Jun 2005, 11:43 PM
Dear dear dear.
You've made me nervous enough to give a "straight" answer.

On another forum, over about ten years, I was referred to as Greg, then Grogs, then Grogster, then Groggy. This evolved largely because of one other member who used the terms, and others picked up on it. So there you go.

RETIRED
16th Jun 2005, 11:43 PM
:rolleyes: Oh Dear.

Gumby
16th Jun 2005, 11:51 PM
You've made me nervous enough to give a "straight" answer.

On another forum, over about ten years, I was referred to as Greg, then Grogs, then Grogster, then Groggy. This evolved largely because of one other member who used the terms, and others picked up on it. So there you go.

That wasn't the AA forum was it ?

journeyman Mick
16th Jun 2005, 11:55 PM
Cause life's a journey, man!
Well actually because a journeyman was someone who had done their apprenticeship and travelled from job to job to refine their skills and broaden their knowledge. But the idea that life is a journey (or should be), and that you should never stop learning is something I believe in.

Mick

Caliban
16th Jun 2005, 11:55 PM
It's a shortening of my surname.
The kids I teach always call a teacher "Robbo" or "Thommo" like that Car ad on telly where all the blokes name's end in "Oh"
And I'm such a creative soul I just had to be original :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
So like craig, I realised too late it wasn't a smart move, but I don't want to do a Doorstop and come back under a cleverer handle, Like Jimmy or Jamesey :D

Groggy
17th Jun 2005, 12:00 AM
That wasn't the AA forum was it ? It was a woodworking forum, rec.winebarrel.coopering - so there! ;)

Grunt
17th Jun 2005, 12:01 AM
Cause life's a journey, man!
Well actually because a journeyman was someone who had done their apprenticeship and travelled from job to job to refine their skills and broaden their knowledge. But the idea that life is a journey (or should be), and that you should never stop learning is something I believe in.

I thought it was because it was a long way to the shop.

craigb
17th Jun 2005, 12:10 AM
I thought it was because it was a long way to the shop.

If you want a sausage roll?

DanP
17th Jun 2005, 12:11 AM
Isn't that an AC/DC song?

It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll. :rolleyes:

Dan

DanP
17th Jun 2005, 12:12 AM
BUGGER, too slow.

JDarvall
17th Jun 2005, 12:14 AM
I like to make up my fruit salad on the tablesaw.......no, not really,,,,,I couldn't think of a name until my girl showed her head,,,,,,so I put down the first thing that came to my head........you see she's a readhead and I think shes a ripper.........when we talk dirty I call her an apricotripper and she calls me,,,,,,,well,,,,,,can't say,,,,,its too embarrassing... ;)

craigb
17th Jun 2005, 12:18 AM
when we talk dirty I call her an apricotripper and she calls me,,,,,,,well,,,,,,can't say,,,,,its too embarrassing... ;)

A tad too much info there I think mr Apricot. :p

Ashore
17th Jun 2005, 12:34 AM
My wife came up with a company name when I retired from the sea. When I came A shore, and ashore engineering produced a sure result or so the story goes but found that part time work produced more work than when I was at sea so I retired again full time to ride Bikes and play in the shed.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Driver
17th Jun 2005, 01:11 AM
One of my kids told me some years ago that if alien beings were to study me (hopefully only when I'm wearing my foily :rolleyes: ) they would observe that I have spent a great deal of my time driving cars. I've never been employed as a driver but I've driven cars in all sorts of strange places over many years. So: Driver.

(One of my former work colleagues, an occasional contributor to this BB, reckons that Driver is a shortened version of Slave Driver but that's just a calumny).

vsquizz
17th Jun 2005, 01:12 AM
http://squizzy-taylor.biography.ms/

Cheers

Gingermick
17th Jun 2005, 07:56 AM
Often my dad would call me gingermick, but mostly he swapped the M for a D.

Grunt
17th Jun 2005, 09:07 AM
I always thought you were a red headed Irishman but now I think you might be a Hermaphrodite.

namtrak
17th Jun 2005, 09:09 AM
Southpark character, backwards and spelt wrong (just so no-one can guess too easily :( )

ubeaut
17th Jun 2005, 09:24 AM
God is not allowed as a user name, so I went for the business name. How boring.

Farm boy
17th Jun 2005, 09:28 AM
i always wanted a farm so my wife finaly relented after a few years of me ear bashing her and we bought 2 acres

Neil
17th Jun 2005, 09:29 AM
If you read the previous post by me (ubeaut) you would see that my real name isn't allowed as a user name so I went with my pseudonym - Neil ;) .

RufflyRustic
17th Jun 2005, 09:37 AM
I've toyed with the idea of setting up my own wood work business for a few years now and wanted a unique name that adequately described me and my work. I found my work wasn't of fine quality but it did show promise and was strong and interesting, a bit rough around the edges and had a rustic underlying theme so RufflyRustic was born. I just never got a chance to really use it until I found my new online-home, the UBeaut WoodWork Forums.
cheers
Wendy

silentC
17th Jun 2005, 09:44 AM
I'm not telling :p

TassieKiwi
17th Jun 2005, 09:50 AM
Guess. I too would change it to something more exiting, but can't be bothered.

Forest Gump
17th Jun 2005, 10:11 AM
I have had a few names over the years. Daniel was the first and then Gumpy and now Forest Gump.

The reason I changed from Daniel to Gumpy was I could not log on anymore, computer problems.

Then I went to Gumpy which was a nickname at work but that clashed with Gumby, another user.

So now I am at Forest Gump for good hopefully, minus the money and sex appeal that he had.
Daniel

PAH1
17th Jun 2005, 10:40 AM
Couldn't think of anything original so used the old CB radio handle style using my initials.

dan_tom
17th Jun 2005, 10:49 AM
Ours is really boring actually - it's a combination of our shortened names (Danielle and Thomas) - hence the Dan_Tom thing. Ladies first of course! :)

Cheers
Dan

Zed
17th Jun 2005, 11:13 AM
my name is an ethno-shocker - commencing with the letter Z....

DanP
17th Jun 2005, 11:38 AM
I'm not telling :p

I still reckon there should be a ? after the silent bit. :p

Dan

silentC
17th Jun 2005, 11:47 AM
You've never heard a peep from me ;)

DanP
17th Jun 2005, 11:54 AM
:D

Landseka
17th Jun 2005, 12:01 PM
We drive a landcruiser and tow a Coromal Seka caravan when we can, hence the amalgamation.

Regards

Neil.

womble
17th Jun 2005, 12:03 PM
womble is a screen name I use on another site as well, easier to remember the log in stuff that way, derived from childhood memories of watching the wombles on the ABC...plus they were creative with making stuff from junk :D something I try to do from time to time...

silentC
17th Jun 2005, 01:13 PM
We drive a landcruiser and tow a Coromal Seka caravan when we can, hence the amalgamation.

Regards

Neil.
But tell us about the Avatar. If that's you, you'll forgive me if I admit to being strangely attracted to you, Neil :eek:

bitingmidge
17th Jun 2005, 01:48 PM
This seems to have become an annual question??

On the 8th June last (2,500 posts ago! :eek: :eek: :eek: ) I was coerced into telling the truth....... :rolleyes:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=61581&postcount=15

P
:D :D

Gingermick
17th Jun 2005, 01:56 PM
I always thought you were a red headed Irishman but now I think you might be a Hermaphrodite.
an;

Wood Borer
17th Jun 2005, 02:27 PM
I was involved in a woodwork exhibition and for a bit of fun I opened a hotmail account with the name wood borer. I sent the other organisers a thankyou email for the food they had provided me. :confused: It seemed funny at the time. :o Maybe the beer and wine consumed at the exhibition made it funnier (Meg drove home).

I used it for this BB too and I guess it stuck. If given the chance of changing it, I would still keep it.

Like most others here, I don't use the name Wood Borer to disguise my real name, many here have met me or visited my house, shed, lemon tree etc.

HavinaGo
17th Jun 2005, 02:29 PM
Jack of all trades but master of none

craigb
17th Jun 2005, 03:27 PM
It seemed funny at the time. :o

WB I think your screen name is one of the wittiest. I only wish I'd thought of it first. :o ;)

Landseka
17th Jun 2005, 03:28 PM
But tell us about the Avatar. If that's you, you'll forgive me if I admit to being strangely attracted to you, Neil :eek: Sorry to disillusion you Silent, while sifting through a heap of avatars trying to find a suitable one, I came across this one...and just couldn't get past it.

She IS stunning isn't she!

Not at all suitable for my avatar but , what the hell. Sometimes I place a post just to see her again myself. :o

Regards

Neil.

silentC
17th Jun 2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, I do like to see your posts. Ummm, what were you saying again? :D

outback
17th Jun 2005, 04:52 PM
wot

You mean Neil isn't short for Neilamina, or Neilelope, or or something else exotic and Scandinavian.

I feel so dirty and used......................................:p

Please post a reply. :D

craigb
17th Jun 2005, 05:01 PM
Now now Outback. Please stay on topic or I might have a hissy fit. :( ;)

Why are you called Outback anyway?

Surely it's not because you live in the donga ?

outback
17th Jun 2005, 05:15 PM
Now now Outback. Please stay on topic or I might have a hissy fit. :( ;)

Why are you called Outback anyway?

Surely it's not because you live in the donga ?
Nah like Echnidna mine was a typo.
I reied to type: Stunninglyhandsome andvirilemanwithterrifficpersonalityandcunningwit.

but my hand slipped. :p

silentC
17th Jun 2005, 05:18 PM
Yes, it's hard to type with one hand. Or so I've heard....:D

Mulgabill
17th Jun 2005, 05:40 PM
Mine was given to me by some bicycling friends (at the timehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif) when they found out I was a bit of a woodie.
It was borrowed from the Banjo Patterson classic Mulga Bill’s Bicycle - "T’was Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze;. . "etc etchttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gif

Cliff Rogers
17th Jun 2005, 05:52 PM
Sorry, I don't understand the question. :confused:

Gumby
17th Jun 2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry, I don't understand the question. :confused:

Aw C'mon, you must have got that silly handle from somewhere ;)

DanP
17th Jun 2005, 06:04 PM
I would prefer if we didn't speak about Cliff's handle...:p

E. maculata
17th Jun 2005, 07:00 PM
I sometimes wish I hadn't chosen mine as it comes across a bit heavy sometimes, especially when I drag the soapbox out it comes out like I might actually know what I'm rabbitting on about or something. Probably shoulda had "blokewhothinkshescleverbutreallyisquitethicksometimes" or "sortatallsortafat&sortabald...sortalikehomersimpsonreally"
However the emotion of the moment was not that noble, just sorta liked Spotted Gums ever since I was a kid, Worked eith them all my career and can identify with them and their abilities, adaptable to many situations capable of bending when needed, but if protaganists are not careful they can whip around and belt you good.

Oh and the Yanks cheesed me off :( when they reclassified them into the "corymbia" group, it is a bleedin Euc I tells ya (thats why the capital E. preceeds maculata) :o

Landseka
17th Jun 2005, 07:05 PM
Please post a reply. :D

"A reply."

:p

outback
17th Jun 2005, 07:58 PM
OOOOO, I feel all goose pimply now.

I think Cliff's handle is best left unhandled, specially by us. :eek:

goat
17th Jun 2005, 08:09 PM
If i was from New Zealand i would be called sheep but since i'm from tassie ...... Na that not true it goes back to when i first got my pc i spent so much time on my new toy i neglected my jobs around the property(50 acres) one day i was signing up for msn messenger and was pondering what i could use as a screen name and the missus came in and askedif i'd "moved the bloody goats yet" so i quickly typed goat before racing out side and have been using it ever since :o

gatiep
17th Jun 2005, 08:29 PM
Like most others here, I don't use the name Wood Borer to disguise my real name, many here have met me or visited my house, shed, lemon tree etc.
Most others here have sawn, turned, sanded and polished your home too!

glock40sw
17th Jun 2005, 09:17 PM
glock40sw...My favorite handgun in my favorite calibre (.40 Smith & Wesson).

That is what the avatar is too.
However, J.W. Howard the little plick, decided to ban calibres larger than .38. So the 40 got handed in to the Buy (Steal) back.
I now have 9mm glocks.
But I don't want to change my name.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Sir Stinkalot
17th Jun 2005, 10:29 PM
I thought Lord Stinkalot may come across just a little pretentious.

AlexS
17th Jun 2005, 10:37 PM
Sometimes I place a post just to see her against myself. :o

Regards

Neil.

Oooh, must try that :D

Harry72
17th Jun 2005, 11:06 PM
Well me I've always been a Harry since I can remember, its not my real name just a nick because of my last name... Harris, the funniest thing about it was SWMBO's MWMBO(mother, not MIL yet) thought it was my real name for over 2 years before she said Paul... whose that!
At work Im called Rolf.

MajorPanic
18th Jun 2005, 12:04 AM
Complicated glue-ups freak me out!!

Or so some people reckon......:(

boban
18th Jun 2005, 01:23 AM
Boban was a "football" player who played for AC Milan and came from the same region as my parents. Followed his career and adopted his name for forums. Pathetic I know, but its easy to remember.

Tankstand
18th Jun 2005, 02:36 AM
Tankstand,

Shortened from Tankus Standus Ah Um.

Given unto me by a team mate.

A reference to my strength, stature and no doubt, intelligence! :D

Although when Stoppers and U met me they were dissapointed that I didn't have three legs!? :D

slab cutter
18th Jun 2005, 10:07 PM
I couldn't think of any thing else, I've been cutting slabs for the last
4 days an loving it.

Grunt
18th Jun 2005, 10:10 PM
I've been drinking slabs for longer than I can remember. 'bout 6 minutes.

DanP
18th Jun 2005, 11:53 PM
Hence "Grunt". :p

mutanti
19th Jun 2005, 09:45 AM
Well Mutanti In Italian means ...........

You Work it out..
I dont know if its spelt right but youll have a laugh when you work it out.
Its my online itenity for most places I go online. :D

Jack E
19th Jun 2005, 10:03 AM
Jack has been a long standing nickname and E is the first letter of my surname.

People have been surprised to learn my real name is not Jack, even after knowing me for years. SWMBO still calls me Jack as that is what she was introduced to me as and we have been together for five and a half years.

Jack.

spbookie
19th Jun 2005, 03:23 PM
I was trying to get a an online email address that I could remember. I had tried 10 of 15 different ones and kept getting "That name is not available, would you like Charles1827374728". I was reading an article on the history of St Kilda and it's seedy past and there was a long section about the illegal bookies, so I tried Spbookie (Starting Price Bookie) and it worked. So I keep using it.

Perhaps Squizzy and I should start a forum underworld gang. Hijacking threads and liberating red wine as specialities.

Charles

Stuart
19th Jun 2005, 10:10 PM
When first signed up, I was already the webmaster for the Triton club, and decided to not disappear behind a pseudonym (thanks for the spelling Stueysnail). Neil (aka Ubeaut) (aka God) invited me to moderate, and it seemed appropriate to stay with my real name. If I had my choice over......yeah I'd probably change it. I may not have posted as much as some in my time on the board, but I am kind of attached the momentum of it all :D

My only real change to my identity is I now peruse the board in invisible mode. I may now be a moderator, but I'm first and foremost just another member of this community, and the role seems to attract an extra amount of cheap shots from the Kenmils of this world.

Ashore
19th Jun 2005, 10:54 PM
Well Mutanti In Italian means ...........

:D
Mutande or for you wife caizoncini

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Iain
20th Jun 2005, 11:50 AM
When I was born my Mum wanted to call me Ian, the old man would not hear of it "ye'll noo giv tha lad a sassenach name' or something along those lines.
So Iain it was much to the disgust of numerous government departments who tell me it's spelled incorrectly.
I had a variety of nicknames over the years, mostly derogatory so I kept those out and one I held for a long time was 'Angel' which I had no intention of ever using.
'Dr Who' was another I earned while working for Community Based Corrections, for it was observed by villains that I had the means to materialise whilst they were in the process of being 'naughty' just before I dragged them into court and suggested a holiday might be in order.
I chose neither of these names and just decided to keep mine :p
And my avatar came about after a local committee tried to screw me and I nailed them to the wall, and loved it :D
If you want to play lawyer, don't play with me, you'll lose ;)

echnidna
20th Jun 2005, 01:30 PM
And my avatar came about after a local committee tried to screw me and I nailed them to the wall, and loved it :D

nuthin like a good stoush with a collective of morons :D :D

burn
20th Jun 2005, 11:18 PM
To a couple of forum members I met at the Sydney WWW show, I actually use the name 'Burn' on my business cards. The legal name is Bernard, but back at Uni, when I applied for a user name on a computer, a staff member had 'Bernie', so as I was just a mere student, it was felt that my login name should be different enough for people not to confuse me with the staff member - so Burn was born.

I got a reasonably well known in my field, whilst wokring at the University, but not as my real name, but as my then e-mail address! When I allowed myself to be bought by private industry (what can I say, I was a trollop back then), they also wanted my 'name' as well as skill set.

The name stuck.

Regards
Burn

Wayne Davy
20th Jun 2005, 11:43 PM
This seems to have become an annual question??

On the 8th June last (2,500 posts ago! :eek: :eek: :eek: ) I was coerced into telling the truth....... :rolleyes:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=61581&postcount=15

P
:D :D
And so was I and I'm not doing it again :p
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=61712&postcount=15

Ashore
21st Jun 2005, 12:07 AM
and I nailed them to the wall,
I hope these days iain you would at least dovetail them to the wall nails are so crude ( but effective )

Russell

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

doug the slug
21st Jun 2005, 10:21 PM
well i was christened "Doug" in 1959.

After i joined the army in 1977, someone started calling me "Doug the Slug" for some reason, ive never been able to work out exactly why but it started right after our first communal shower. ive been stuck with it ever since so ive used it on a number of websites including this one.

Ive been out of the army for 8 years now but the nickname wont go away,

Doug

Gumby
21st Jun 2005, 10:22 PM
well i was christened "Doug" in 1959.

After i joined the army in 1977, someone started calling me "Doug the Slug" for some reason,

Doug

Did they catch you in shower perhaps ? :D

doug the slug
21st Jun 2005, 10:26 PM
Didnt read the whole post did u gumby????

Ashore
21st Jun 2005, 10:39 PM
Didnt read the whole post did u gumby????so were you sluggardly leaving the shower or was it because of a snail er slug trail as you got dressed.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

DanP
21st Jun 2005, 10:52 PM
It's like calling a redhead 'bluey' or a short bloke 'stretch'. :p

Iain
22nd Jun 2005, 09:08 AM
It was his soap and he could wash it as fast as he wanted to, so now you can leave him alone.
No fee for the service Doug :D :D :D :D

AlexS
22nd Jun 2005, 07:36 PM

Only Colonels & chaplains catch anything in the shower. :D

numbat
23rd Jun 2005, 11:05 AM
Like most people I lurked for a while before joining. I got the impression that everyone used unusual names. I guess I saw postings by my good online friend Termite and saw that he turns timber into s####.

So given that it was an Australian forum I thought I would adopt a name the turned termites (and their close cousins ie wood borers) into the same thing.

Anyway thats mys tory and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers

OtakiriLad
23rd Jun 2005, 06:54 PM
When I was a young fellow growing up in Kiwiland we had a neighbour by the unfortunate name of Crapper who owned race horses, one of which was a reasonable nag called Otakiri Girl. Based on the amount of c..p that flies on this forum I thought OtakiriLad was appropriate.

craigb
23rd Jun 2005, 07:36 PM
When I was a young fellow growing up in Kiwiland we had a neighbour by the unfortunate name of Crapper who owned race horses, one of which was a reasonable nag called Otakiri Girl. Based on the amount of c..p that flies on this forum I thought OtakiriLad was appropriate.

Well nobody was ever going to guess that association. :D :D