PDA

View Full Version : forge questions

steamjunkprops
28th Apr 2014, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,
I've slowly been wanting to get into doing some backyard smithing. I've looked at various fuels (coke,charcoal etc) and now im looking at a gas forge souly because it is cleaner burning.

My main question is whether you can purchase them prebuild or are they a diy thing. Are there any good instructions on making one?

Also, any ideas on what types of tongs to get for just starting out? A couple pairs?

FenceFurniture
29th Apr 2014, 12:10 AM
I know NUTHINK about blacksmithing, but this link (http://gameco.com.au/wp-content/files/Gameco-Knifemaking-Catalogue-v1.0.pdf) may help.

Ueee
29th Apr 2014, 01:43 AM
You should find plenty of plans online for gas forge burners. Personally i prefer coke/charcoal mix but it does have a few drawbacks. Its not like you can just light it quickly to do one little job.

As for tongs, you only really need one pair and then you can make whatever you need from there.

Ew

BobL
29th Apr 2014, 08:22 AM
Hey guys,
I've slowly been wanting to get into doing some backyard smithing. I've looked at various fuels (coke,charcoal etc) and now im looking at a gas forge souly because it is cleaner burning.
My main question is whether you can purchase them prebuild or are they a diy thing.
They can be bought but most gas forges in Australia are DIY.
The Gameco link supplied by Fence Furniture is a good one and Member AndrewOC has had dealings with them so you may wish to contact him for details.
Gameco supply parts like burners etc but you need to assemble and add several of your own components like the forge casing, can you weld?

Are there any good instructions on making one?
Just do a search on the web - there are heaps of videos showing you what to do.
The first major decision you will need to make is mains gas or propane.

Here's a link showing what I did for my mains gas forge
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=168547.
Forges don't need to be anywhere near as fancy as this but I rarely do anything by halves

Also, any ideas on what types of tongs to get for just starting out? A couple pairs?
I'd just get a pair of light fire tongs (and maybe a pair of heavier fire tongs) to get started and then work out what you need after that otherwise you may end up buying stuff you will never use.

son_of_bluegras
29th Apr 2014, 10:28 AM
Since the forge question has been answered, I'll just offer my 7 cents (inflation ya' know) on the tongs.
Buy a pair of flat jaw (aka fire tongs) for holding flat stuff (get a size you expect to use early) and a pair of v-bit tongs (for holding square and round, again there are different sizes), then look at tutorials for building tongs and make a few pair to fit what you're doing. After you've made a few pair, you'll better know what you need and if you'd rather build or buy.

ron

AndrewOC
29th Apr 2014, 08:59 PM
Ah, I couldn't help it.
Corin did this neat youtube clip about his (very successful) take on a compact gas furnace;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFKoGZkUQt4

A search using 'building a gas forge' comes up with stacks of clips, including making burners.

You can find burners, tongs and other forging stuff by Gameco in the link that fencefurniture put up.

Have you come across Field Furnace Refractories at Wetherill Park? see; http://www.fieldfurnace.com.au/
We Sydney suckers are lucky to have both Gameco and FFR in town.

gotta go now,

AndrewOC

steamjunkprops
30th Apr 2014, 11:20 PM
Thank you for all this great info guys.
I think i am going to make the forge that corin's video shows how to make. And Gameco seems perfect for getting some tools.

I've got even more questions with this forge.
What sort of burner do you use?
Does anyone have idea on how fast a single burner forge will empty a bottle of LPG?

Thank you so much guys for all the help.

son_of_bluegras
1st May 2014, 12:53 PM
"How fast will a forge use a bottle of gas?"

That's like asking "how fast will a car use a tank of gas?" There are too many variable to answer that question. How big of a bottle? How much pressure, just enough to get to forging temps or hot enough to weld? After you've used it a while, you'll get a feel for when the bottle is running low.

ron

Marc
3rd May 2014, 07:53 AM
Hey guys,

My main question is whether you can purchase them prebuild or are they a diy thing. Are there any good instructions on making one?

The question about coal or gas and about tongs boils down to where you are in relation to blacksmithing.
If you have no experience at all, I suggest you build your own coal forge first. A good coal forge built properly ( not with a wheel rim) will be slow to start ... well what is slow? 5 minutes? 10? By the time you scratch your head and pull your other tools out, your fire will be good to go. A coal forge is much more forgiving, much more adaptable to different jobs. A gas forge is better suited to bladesmithing or small stuff, so the next question is, if you are an experienced blacksmith, what is it that you want to do...

Making a gas forge is possible and there is heaps of very bad ideas on you tube, and some a bit better. You can buy a gas forge in Australia and as usual pay twice or tree time what you pay in the US or you can buy one on the net and get it shipped here if you really want a gas forge. Before you do, check with your insurance if they will pay you if you have a fire or worst an explosion.

As far as tongs, like any other tool you can have one or many, it depends on your work. The tong is the tool that will take the piece out of the fire and will hold and rotate safely your job on the anvil. To think that one will do, is like saying you only need one screwdriver or one spanner.
Having said that I don't suggest you buy two dozen tongs. Buy as you go.
And making a tong may be a good way to learn how to forge, but it is neither easy nor time effective, at $20 or $30 per tong, I can find better things to do, but that is me.

BobL
3rd May 2014, 10:17 AM
Making a gas forge is possible and there is heaps of very bad ideas on you tube, and some a bit better. You can buy a gas forge in Australia and as usual pay twice or tree time what you pay in the US or you can buy one on the net and get it shipped here if you really want a gas forge. Before you do, check with your insurance if they will pay you if you have a fire or worst an explosion..

Some of the worst youtube clips involve mains gas which needs a forced air supply,. especially if these are used inside a shed. I spent a lot of time working on ventilation and safety interlocks to auto shut down the gas in event of a power failure or loss of air pressure. The other thing I think is essential when using gas furnaces/forges indoors are gas and CO alarms. By the time these are all added into a system the coal forge starts to look a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ueee
3rd May 2014, 11:38 AM
Just to clear, AFAIK you are not allowed to burn coal in any Australian state or territory without a permit. Coke and charcoal yes, but not coal. However that brings up another point. With the closure of ICC's coalcliff and corrimal plants is there still a sorce of coke on the east coast?

Ew

AndrewOC
3rd May 2014, 09:59 PM
A few of the guys up Hunter valley way are using coke from; http://www.pacificcarbon.com.au/
Haven't heard detailed reports yet.

I have had some fun/ success making 'breeze' (blacksmith made coke) from 'slack' (middle Eng: coal dust or small pieces of coal). Wet the slack, tamp it down around your fire and cook it into breeze, break up the light grey crunchy stuff, and voila! free coke- kinda...

charcoal, home made, is good too...
A.

steamjunkprops
4th May 2014, 11:35 PM
I found this guy on Gumtree selling coke for $19.50 for 13Kg. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/orchard-hills/miscellaneous-goods/coke-blacksmithing-forging/1044120684

Ueee
5th May 2014, 12:34 AM
Thats $1500 a ton. I'm sure i paid less than $200 a ton last time i visited coalcliff. Mind you that is wet so if the gumtree sellers is dry its a hard comparison.
Its also not really an ideal size either, i have always bought 10x20, that looks way bigger.

Ew

AndrewOC
8th May 2014, 09:29 PM
Yeees.
$1500 a ton is steep, try Corrimal Coke, I have heard they are open until end of June, despite the last batch having been cooked a few months ago. Sounds like they are selling this last run at about $400/ tonne. Their ph is 8246 5304.

There is also Pacific Carbon http://www.pacificcarbon.com.au/ A few use it, but I haven't heard prices yet.

tell us how u go,
Andrew.

AndrewOC
8th May 2014, 10:13 PM
...also heard Illawarra Coke Co ph no is actually (02) 4286 5304.
A.

midlife
23rd May 2014, 06:29 PM
A local sometimes maker of gas forges is the Tharwa Valley Forge in Canberra. Karim makes the forges occasionally and has a number of interesting pictures on his website. See http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com well worth the visit!