PDA

View Full Version : Finish on steel?

Schtoo
9th Jun 2005, 03:03 AM
I want to put some kind of finish on some steel sliding brackets/supports I just made up.

They are just mild steel bar, smoothed and sanded to #600, so a semi-shiny brushed kind of look. What I really want to do is to avoid them rusting, but at the same time they will probably be rubbing on a brass plate which needs to be there.

Any suggestions? Right now they are oiled to stop them rusting, but I would like a more permanent solution if one exists. Preferrably one I can do. Would wax, clear laquer or a suitable oil suffice or will they just need to be kept clean? They are not exposed, but they can be seen and I really wouldn't like to have a rusty thing hanging out of this table if I can avoid it.

Hope someone has an idea, thanks. :D

rodm
9th Jun 2005, 03:22 AM
Chrome plating would be the best finish.

Barry_White
9th Jun 2005, 05:38 PM
I have used this product and it is ideal for protecting steel in its natural state.

http://www.nrrbs.com.au/lanoguard3000.htm

JDarvall
9th Jun 2005, 05:58 PM
To stop it rusting and still keep that polished metal look I usually just spray on a clear laquer from a spray can.........a couple of coats each being lightly applied to stop runs.....You can usually get it from local shops alongside all the other colours....

Schtoo
11th Jun 2005, 02:57 AM
Chrome would be nice, but I dread to think what they would sting me here. Might be cheap, but I somehow doubt it.

Lanoguard is something I can't get here, but I will make sure I pick some up next time I visit the folks. I do have some redex stuff with lanolin, but it's not the same stuff that's for sure.

Laquer, not great if I leave it the way it is right now. But having a think in the bathtub just now, I'm going to change one of the supports, so the part that is seen can be laquered without having anything to rub it off. Just changing where the rubbing occurs from brass/steel to wheel/oak.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems that the best solution was to change the design so the finish just needs to look pretty. :rolleyes:

I am going to look into what they charge for chrome plating though. Useful to have it at my disposal in the future I think...

JB
22nd Jun 2005, 01:59 PM
I have used this product and it is ideal for protecting steel in its natural state.

http://www.nrrbs.com.au/lanoguard3000.htm

Looks interesting Barry. Does it build up on the surface (preferably not) or soak in (good) ? Does it discolour? Does it scratch off, and last long?

I believe there's a wood finishing product available also based on lanolin, not sure if it's the same maker.

BTW, whens your next tour?

Barry_White
22nd Jun 2005, 02:37 PM
Looks interesting Barry. Does it build up on the surface (preferably not) or soak in (good) ? Does it discolour? Does it scratch off, and last long?

I believe there's a wood finishing product available also based on lanolin, not sure if it's the same maker.

BTW, whens your next tour?
It is an interesting product. The best way of applying it to put the article out in the sun and allow it to heat up and then spray the Lanoguard on and then let it dry off in the sun. You will find any residue will disapper. It is initially tacky to the touch but this goes as it dries but leaves a protective coating on the steel or cast iron. No buildup. It would probably wear off with constant rubbing. I does not discolour.

Grahame Collins
23rd Jun 2005, 10:33 PM
Schtoo,
Not knowing what materials and equipment are available to you ,I shall keep it simple.
Blackmiths have kept their work from rusting for years by simply heating polished metal until a blue colour appears. They the cool the piece in oil - sump oil would do in your case.
Re heat the metal to a temp that will melt wax into the metal and it is sealed from the elements .

The metal preservative the other contributors speak of is Lanotec. The non aerosol would suit you better as I would assume you know that aerosols can’t be taken on aircraft.
It is as good as they claim it is. I have seen a Makita 12 volt drill treated with it that was immersed in a bucket of water, then withdrawn and continued to operate with out affect from the water.

Hope this helps.
Grahame