PDA

View Full Version : Shortening 316 stainless tubing

numbat
30th May 2005, 09:35 PM
I have been putting up some 316 stainless steel handrailing. It has come in kit form suitable for the terrace that it is being put up on as I supplied the dimensions.

I have a need to shorten 3 of the 65mm dia tubes - 2 of which needed to be cut to match a side and avoid a concrete join and one that needs a slight bit of shortening due to a minor installation glitch.

The question is how do I shorten the tube and get a nice square end that that can be slipped over a spigot on the upright?

I tried taking it to a metal place today but they would not cut it on their bandsaw - they claimed it was the last blade - I think that they might have been a bit reticent to try. Also asked at an exhaust place - but no luck.

I would have thought that a metal lathe would be the best option and might ask around a bit.

I would really like to get this done for Saturday so I can finish the handrailing.

Two of the tubes are 1.5 m in length and need 135 mm cut off - the other tube is 1.7 m and needs 15mm removed.

Any suggestions for a nice clean square cut?

Cheers

ozwinner
30th May 2005, 09:42 PM
Hacksaw??

Al :confused:

Dan
30th May 2005, 10:20 PM
Pipe Cutter?

Sounds like a smart **** answer but plumbers use them. You might be able to hire one.

nexusone
30th May 2005, 11:00 PM
Suggest to use an angle grinder with an ultra thin cut-off blade. Wrap some masking tape where you want to cut (the edge of the tape gives a square line, also protects the tube), then carefully cut approx 1mm off the tape. Then use a polifan in the grinder to carefully sand the end square to the tape line (check frequently with a square. The polifan can be used to sand a slight bevel on the end to deburr it.

Hope this makes sense. Most people have a small grinder, and cutting wheel and polifan are not expensive.

Steve.

Cliff Rogers
30th May 2005, 11:01 PM
I had a bit cut for me at the chandlery where I bought it, the guy used a drop saw with a fibre cutoff wheel & then he cleaned up the sharp dags by giving it a quick roll on the outside of the wheel as it slowed down.

I cleaned out the sharp bits on the inside with a round file.

Ashore
30th May 2005, 11:14 PM
Cutoff blades can cause heat discolouration but not if your careful.

Shinto Make an 18 tooth stainless cutting hacksaw blade
Industrial suppliers / Marine suppliers such as Blackwoods (take a cut lunch) the service is somewhat slow
or Bulbecks should still sell then

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Cliff Rogers
30th May 2005, 11:23 PM
.... such as Blackwoods (take a cut lunch) the service is somewhat slow

Somewhat???? I'll give you a tip right now..... don't bother going at lunch time if you only have that long.....

Somewhat is not strong enough.

BTW Ash.... wasn't anyone noticing your background music at the lower volume? :D

Ashore
30th May 2005, 11:44 PM
Somewhat???? :D
Gotta be nice "Mr Robbo " is watching

Harry72
31st May 2005, 12:34 AM
Isnt 316 grade a bit rich for hand railing?

Beaton
31st May 2005, 01:22 AM
We used to cut and drill a lot of 316 at the last place i worked at nice stuff to work with :rolleyes: but looks great when you have finished, drop saw was the way to go as long as you have one. If you get discouleration you can gat an acid that will clean it up, sorry but forgot what it is called should be easy to get thou.

Trav
31st May 2005, 12:44 PM
have you done the rounds at metalland in fyshwick? I've dealt with them before and they were pretty helpful. They've got a metal radial arm saw (??) thing that made short work of some gal steel I bought from them.

Trav

numbat
31st May 2005, 02:27 PM
have you done the rounds at metalland in fyshwick?
Trav
Yes - they were the first place I tried.

Cheers

Gaza
31st May 2005, 06:07 PM
a few months back i was working at Westfeilds doing so work in the centre of the shopping area. at the same time they were changing the hand rails the asian guys that were doing it were cutting 75mm round s/s on a metal cut off saw, then polishing it up with a polisher it came up pretty neat.

juliussee
31st May 2005, 08:42 PM
If you don't got a metal cut off saw then angle grinder would do.

Forget driving all over town for a few cuts.

Baz
31st May 2005, 08:57 PM
Numbat, a mate of mine has a cold cutting saw, that should be able to handle it, give me a ring.
Cheers
Barry

numbat
31st May 2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have talked to my brother in Adelaide who is a fitter turner and he says that cutting stainless can be a *****.

Also I need to correct something - the tube dia is actually 38mm and wall thickness is just over a mm. I think a Triton cut off saw should be able to handle this. Just need to find one.

In the meanwhile I think I will take up Baz's kind offer (in fact I just got off the phone to him)

Cheers

numbat
2nd Jul 2005, 02:08 PM
Here is the finished product - just need to wait till spring to tile the surface.

Now that we have had some rain I might be able to redevelop the garden as well.

Not to forget to finish the workshop underneath http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Cheers

ozwinner
2nd Jul 2005, 06:55 PM
Not to forget to finish the workshop underneath http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Cheers
You must be very short!!

Al :D

Trav
4th Jul 2005, 09:54 AM
Looks good Numbat. You said you bought a kit for this? Where did you get it?

Trav

numbat
9th Jul 2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry been away - from here http://www.quickrail.com.au/

You can also look here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=14214

Cheers

Trav
11th Jul 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks mate - I might use the same crew for a balcony balustrade that I need to replace.

Cheers

Trav