PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton SSS lathes

Aussie redback
29th May 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone,
Just came on board, my name is Derek and I am the coordinator of the Mens Shed Project here on the Central Coast of NSW its being built (in Sept) next to our local PCYC on council land. I have just been donated 2 metal Sheraton SSS lathes now no longer being manufactured (since I have been told late 70s) I am also on the outlook for 2 woodlathes (donated the better) if any one can help out.
If anyone can give me any advise on these metal lathes would appreciate, ALSO anyone on the central coast who would like to get involved please phone me,
43 423959
Finally, anyone with old Sheraton SSS Lathes manuals etc etc who could provide copies would appreciate, also what are these lathes like especially current standards of safety (Workcover)
Best wishes,
Derek

raandolf
29th May 2005, 10:27 PM
This is my first attempt at this.:confused: I've got a Makita 9.6v cordless drill, i forget the model #, it's the one with the long handle about 10 years old. I need to remove the chuck?? It has a left hand threaded screw inside in the centre of it. I've removed that, but can't get any further. there is no flats on the shaft in front of the chuck like some drills. Any ideas?/
Thanks Raandolf

nexusone
30th May 2005, 11:11 PM
tighten the drill chuck arounf the short leg of a med allen key (6-10mm). Gently tap the other end of the allen key with a hammer in the direction to unscrew it (RH thread). There will be enough resistance from the gears for the hammer strike to loosen it. Of course don't strike hard enough to break the gears.

raandolf
1st Jun 2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reply to my question re chuck removal. I think I posted in the wrong place though. Sorry Derek, I'm just starting.:o

cookeg
28th Jun 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Derik,

Suggest you try Roberts Lathe Spares, Sydney Rd, Bayswater VIC. This bloke makes parts that normaly wear, for sheraton lathes, such as change gears, lead screw nuts etc. He is an older bloke that used to actualy work for them. They were made in Bayswater until around 1980/81. I must warn you however that he had not heard of SSS lathe when I asked him after seeing your post. He did say they had imported some twianese lathes at one stage. I would suggest you get as much info as possible before you ring him. Lead screw diameter, motor size and voltage, swing and bed length, location of the suds pump. He appears very knowlegable and identified the model and series of my lathe after a couple of pertinant questions. He has been able to supply me with change gears, handles, lead screw dial.
Best of luck,
Garry

warlock
5th Jul 2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Cookeg,

Thanks for your suggestion about Roberts Lathe Spares, I did a search for him and only found "Rodgers" Lathe Spares....
His address is Sydney Rd Bayswater, so i guess this is the guy you mean.
I will ring him to see what he has got for my sheraton
Good luck with the project Derek
Regards
Rob