PDA

View Full Version : Private messages

Rocker
29th May 2005, 06:23 PM
There is a limit to the length of private messages of 1000 characters, which is fair enough. However, the annoying thing is that, if you inadvertently exceed the limit and try to send the PM, an error message appears telling you that your message was, say 1050 characters long, and that it must be shortened; however, if the 'Back' button is used, in an attempt to edit the message, you find that the offending message is no longer there, and you have to type it all again. This may be character-building, I suppose, but it is also rather annoying; would it be feasible to arrange that the original message is not deleted?

Rocker

ozwinner
29th May 2005, 06:29 PM
Isnt that something to do with your computer cache??
And not the BB as such..

Al :D

Rocker
29th May 2005, 06:52 PM
Al,

You may well be right, but what do I have to do to remedy the situation?

Rocker

ozwinner
29th May 2005, 07:14 PM
Sorry Rocker, youll have to ask a nerd.
Maybe PM Grunt hes a nerd......

Al :D

Grunt
29th May 2005, 07:32 PM
Yup, I'm a nerd. Don't press the back button. Scroll down and change the message.

Rocker
29th May 2005, 08:32 PM
Grunt,

That sounds simple enough. Thanks :)

Rocker

duckman
29th May 2005, 09:25 PM
Al,

You may well be right, but what do I have to do to remedy the situation?

Rocker

G'day Rocker,

owing to the fact that I've been bitten a few times in the past using web based forms, I now make a habit of copying everything I"ve typed into the Windows clipboard before clicking the 'Submit' or 'Send' button or whatever it reads.
The easiest way to do this is to type Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C.

Ctrl+A is press and hold the Control key and then type the letter a, it doesn't have to be an upper case "a" and then the same for Control and the letter c.

If your message does 'disappear' into the ether you can start a new one and just paste the contents of the clipboard into it. Saves a lot of re-typing.
;)

HTH,

Mark.

Ashore
29th May 2005, 09:33 PM
Duckmans explanation is correct about saving your message but when pasting your lost message back
press Ctrl + v
and all will return (this only brings back the last thing you saved)

I don’t mind growing old, it sure beats the alternative.

RETIRED
29th May 2005, 09:39 PM
Rocker. As far as I can work out, the others are right. Copy it and paste it back.

Remember that spaces are classed as characters too. It most often happens when you leave the original message in as a quote.

craigb
29th May 2005, 10:05 PM
Why is there a limit on the size of PM's though?
I'm just curious and not having a go or anything.

It just seems strange that there is a limit on a PM but it's quite possible to rabbit on endlessly in a post.

I also know that ultimately all the storage must be paid for. ;)

However, I can upload 1 pic which will probably take up more space than all of my PM's would in a month.

RETIRED
29th May 2005, 10:13 PM
Because at the time it was set they were worried about the load on the server.

craigb
29th May 2005, 10:18 PM
Because at the time it was set they were worried about the load on the server.

'K. Time for a review, or not ? :)

RETIRED
29th May 2005, 10:19 PM
I believe it is being looked at with the shift to the new server.

Iain
30th May 2005, 03:53 PM
Why is there a limit on the size of PM's though?

Because 'It is written' ;) Book of Neil Chapter 1 Verse 7, and it shall come to pass..........