PDA

View Full Version : Connecting copper tubing to gas bottles?

HobbyBobby
23rd May 2005, 08:15 AM
What I'm designing is a tent flame-thrower, to forcibly end the rowdy and over-zealous activities of campers.

Jokes aside, how would you go about connecting straight copper tubing to a small LPG gas tank? An adaptor or a weld?

Thanks in advance! ;)

ozwinner
23rd May 2005, 09:26 AM
Jokes aside, how would you go about connecting straight copper tubing to a small LPG gas tank? An adaptor or a weld?

Thanks in advance! ;)
Whoah dude!!!!!:eek:
Never put a flame or arc near a gas bottle!!!! :eek:

Unless you like the idea of being dead that is.

Al :eek:

Barry_White
23rd May 2005, 10:32 AM
What Al says you don't weld near gas bottles. You can buy plenty of fittings to connect to LPG gas bottles to join copper pipe to them. If you don't know what you are doing with gas, DO NOT DO IT. Remember one FLASH and you are ASH.

Ashore
23rd May 2005, 01:27 PM
if your going to weld braze etc on a gas bottle could you leave me your tools in your will cause you are not going to need them anymore

He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.

journeyman Mick
23rd May 2005, 02:31 PM
HB,
basically if you need to ask how to do anything connected with gas, then you shouldn't be doing it.

Mick

HobbyBobby
24th May 2005, 07:21 AM
No no, the LPG bottles would lack the gas of course.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am well aware of the dangers of flash-backs and how to protect against it (either by the use of the Venturi effect - lower pressure through small canals, or flash back arrest - disspitation of heat), however what I wasn't aware of was whether it was common practice to connect copper to gas bottles, and therefore there were fittings available to do so!
So do these adaptors has a name? I imagine there would be a compression fittings on the copper side and a female thread on the tank side?

Believe me, I'm big on safety in all areas.

Barry_White
24th May 2005, 11:28 AM
Without knowing where you are and what you are trying to achieve and what size gas bottle you are try to connect to, to give advice is a little difficult.

But these fittings are available in various outlets. For smaller gas bottles places like Barbeques Galore would carry some fittings. For bigger bottles such as 9kg onwards. and also these use a regulator to control the flow of gas also available from Barbeques Galore.

Other type fittings would be available from any reputable plumbing supply stores that specilise in gas fitting supplies for gas fitters

ozwinner
24th May 2005, 06:57 PM
All flamable gas has left hand thread also.

I dont know where youll find them....

Al

graemet
24th May 2005, 10:54 PM
BOC Gasses have a fairly comprehensive range of cylinder connection fittings, but, as Mick said, if you have to ask, you shouldn't touch it! Compressed gas is LETHAL!
Cheers,
Graeme

Grahame Collins
24th May 2005, 11:09 PM
Snip <Jokes aside, how would you go about connecting straight copper tubing to a small LPG gas tank? An adaptor or a weld? >

YOU do not! Have a death wish, do you ?

Unless the very last sound you want to hear is a very big loud one,
do not connect anything to a Fuel gas cylinder unless specifically designed and and enginneered for the purpose you intend. It is also illegal to do it yourself ie metal pipes etc.
Please ! seek the advice of a qualified ( liscensed) gas fitter. Many plumbers are qualified gas fitters. All done for less than the cost of a hospital stay or a funeral.

And the rest of you .They are cylinders not bottles.
beer comes in bottles, gas in cylinders

Consider yourselves chastised !
Grahame

HobbyBobby
25th May 2005, 05:50 AM
Ill take that advice on professionals Graeme.

I meant the 1.25KG -2.5Kg bottles. Still enough to kill however.

Some of you know not what you speak, and speak more than what you know. There is no risk whatsoever associated with connecting copper tubing to gas tanks, as ALL australian gas tanks have a build in check-valve in the head and a nozzle utilising the Venturi effect.
The end of the pipe must also have a Venturi (narrowing) nozzle too, if not there is a risk of overheating the tank and causing an explosion in this fashion. Another way in which it could explode even in the presence of Venturi adaptors is via a "creeping flame", brought about by the tank's inner pressure reducing as it reaches the empty state. This is very difficult to achieve with most gases because they have such a high vapor pressure - it just isn't gonna happen.

Who wants to be the first to calculate the % of you who were unable to even ascertain if the gas bottle would have been full or empty at the time of being "worked on" ? ;) I rest my case.

Ill work it out myself, with professionals... Thanks for those who offered non-dumb (So dumb it's rare) advice.

Lucas
25th May 2005, 06:35 AM
Hobby
I have read your posts and othr than saying you want to connect copper pipe to a gas bottle you havent said what you are trying to do

but i'm going to suggest that you use an adapater you can get from a camping store then away from the gas bottle ( cause there never really empty)
do the mods required to connect the pipe via adapater

i suggest this because you will have to be able to disconnect this for the changing/refilling of the bottle

not knowing what you are using this for but i use a bit of screw on flex on the joint so that damage isnt done to the soild copper pipe when undone

Ashore
25th May 2005, 11:42 AM
All flamable gas has left hand thread also.

I dont know where youll find them....

AlNot all of them al I think Primus is but companion isn't

Camping shops often carry a good range as well as adapters to suit Diffrent threads

I take from your second post that you are not intending to try to weld directly on to the bottle (thank God) . The copper pipe you want to connect can be soldered brazed etc onto a fitting then connected to the bottle
however this makes a long unwealdy thing you may be better to use flare fittings as this will allow to position tube before final tightening with gas I dont recomend compression fittings I know they work but you must becareful matching the olives to the pipe metric ,imperial etc..and they are more prone to leaks if the tube is being handled a lot.
the problems I have come accross with gas and copper is not to use oils of any sort on the threads , use thread tape on tapered threads not parallel ones
And if checking for leaks, they make a solution for this as soap and water can give corrosion problems

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

namtrak
25th May 2005, 01:23 PM
..........Who wants to be the first to calculate the % of you who were unable to even ascertain if the gas bottle would have been full or empty at the time of being "worked on" ? ;) I rest my case.

Ill work it out myself, with professionals... Thanks for those who offered non-dumb (So dumb it's rare) advice...........

Percentage of people who tried to help with not really knowing what they were talking about :: 90%

Percentage of people who tried to help and know somewhat what they were talking about :: 60%

Percentage of people who tried to help and knew exactly what they were talking about :: 30%

Percentage of people who who didn't try to help but knew exactly what you needed to know :: 10%

Percentage of people who will experience an ironic twist of black comedic fate when your SWMBO posts a message here cause you got fried by welding onto a gas bottle :: 100%

Lighten up (figuratively speaking) sunshine

Cheers

JackoH
25th May 2005, 04:34 PM
It's not April 1st--Is it?

macca2
25th May 2005, 04:46 PM
No, but it might be Guy Fawkes night soon

ozwinner
25th May 2005, 06:56 PM
Percentage of people who tried to help with not really knowing what they were talking about :: 90%

Percentage of people who tried to help and know somewhat what they were talking about :: 60%

Percentage of people who tried to help and knew exactly what they were talking about :: 30%

Percentage of people who who didn't try to help but knew exactly what you needed to know :: 10%

Percentage of people who will experience an ironic twist of black comedic fate when your SWMBO posts a message here cause you got fried by welding onto a gas bottle :: 100%

Lighten up (figuratively speaking) sunshine

Cheers
Thats 190%????

Al :confused:

namtrak
25th May 2005, 08:07 PM
picky picky picky

RETIRED
25th May 2005, 09:21 PM
As our learned friend Hobby Bobby does not seem willing to enlighten everybody on what he is doing, this thread is being closed.

Should you wish to open the discussion again HB I would suggest that you at least say what you are doing.

There are a lot of of very knowledgeable people on this board that are only too willing to assist in helping if given the facts and not some all encompassing statement.

It also does not pay to insult those who try to give you advice.