PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Aluminate Cement

Stustoys
16th Jun 2013, 10:00 PM
Picked up some Calcium Aluminate Cement today.
Can it be used as a refractory wash for a steel crucible for Aluminium?

Stuart

simonl
20th Jun 2013, 09:40 PM
The sound of crickets are deafening Stuart! :rolleyes:

Things seem to run at a different speed on the foundry forum.....

I just splashed out ($12) and bought some 100% bentonite kitty litter. I figured I would grind it up to make some green sand . Yea right! Unless someone can come up with an easy way, don't bother. The only thing green around here is me!

Looks like I'm going to have to buy some petrobond. According to Ray and others, it's the best and easiest way to get started. Just not the cheapest.

I do notice that if you mix water with the bentonite it soon goes to mush and the lumps disappear. I have seen a recipe for refractory concrete of 1 part sand, 1 part portland cement, 1 part bentonite, 1 part perlite. About to do a search on the forum for it. Is it any good?

Sorry, blabbed on a bit. Don't mean to hijack this thread.

Simon

Stustoys
21st Jun 2013, 11:17 PM
Hi Simon,

Yes a little less hectic in here lol

I think I might be able to use it by itsself or mixed with crushed fire brick, but how would you know it was working?

lol sand is something I'd forgotten about!

I'm still reading trying to get my thoughts together. Trying to get my furnace sorted. So I have plenty else to worry about.

Stuart

festy_
18th Jul 2013, 08:03 PM
re: Bentonite, you can buy it from stock feed suppliers in 20kg bags for <$10 last time I bought it.
It comes as a very fine powder, apparently it's added to cattle feed in small amounts.

As for a refractory recipe - I used bentonite, sand, a small amount of perlite and a tiny bit of portland cement for my charcoal foundry, it took a few weeks to dry out enough to fire but lasted 5 years and 50+ firings without needing any repairs.
It was effectively a ceramic lining once it was fired, bentonite is just very fine clay after all.
I had to leave my foundry behind last time I moved house, and I really miss it :no: