PDA

View Full Version : diy refractory

eskimo
31st May 2013, 04:20 PM
any one have a good DIY refractory recipe

I want to melt some ally

SawDustSniffer
31st May 2013, 04:38 PM
thats all a home made refatory would take , with top quallity materials that would be harder to find than a 1600c castable refactory ($60 a bag ) and then still not as good ,
for auminium a home made would be fine , but if you ever want to go too copper/bronze , get a good one , also just because your casting alumnium your burner will still capable of over heating and distrying the home made castable

light weight fire bricks and use the less than 3mm morter (+1500c) they sell where they sell the bricks , check the morter , oven morter is not good enough

eskimo
31st May 2013, 05:10 PM
thats all a home made refatory would take , with top quallity materials that would be harder to find than a 1600c castable refactory ($60 a bag ) and then still not as good ,
for auminium a home made would be fine , but if you ever want to go too copper/bronze , get a good one , also just because your casting alumnium your burner will still capable of over heating and distrying the home made castable

light weight fire bricks and use the less than 3mm morter (+1500c) they sell where they sell the bricks , check the morter , oven morter is not good enough

and your recipe is????

SawDustSniffer
31st May 2013, 06:17 PM
mine came in a bag ," 1600c castable refactory " and i added water

eskimo
31st May 2013, 06:22 PM
mine came in a bag ," 1600c castable refactory " and i added water

I tried that... but with wine,... but she went to sleep...no no no what am I saying...I mean where can I get a bag err some REFRACTORY CEMENT in adelaide...no one seems to know what the hell I'm talking about....so thinking of making it

SawDustSniffer
31st May 2013, 08:39 PM
ROTFL , sorry in a stupid mood today

i have no idea where to get it in adeliade , the closest i found to Darwin was

"Shiracast 160AR" about $66 a bag from "the fire brick company " , its good for 12months at 1600c temp (cast iron poring temps)
Kilns, Pizza Oven, Wood Fired Oven, Domestic and Commercial Products (http://www.firebrick.com.au/domestic_commercial/domestic_and_commerical_products)

what ive seen of others , by the time you bye a 20kg bag of each ingredent , it ends up costing more than bought castable , and dosnt last as well
normally its a fire clay / silica sand + others , but the bought castable has hairs and 5mm gravel in it to help stop cracking

nouthing wrong with a hole in the ground , could make it a pearler and line the hole with a clay plant pot or fire bricks :-)

fxst
31st May 2013, 10:18 PM
try here for some ideas melting metal in a home foundry, backyard metalcasting, metal casting (http://backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html)
I have a recipe somewhere that works ok for aluminium. Ill pm you if I find it
Pete

eskimo
3rd Jun 2013, 02:45 PM
try here for some ideas melting metal in a home foundry, backyard metalcasting, metal casting (http://backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html)
I have a recipe somewhere that works ok for aluminium. Ill pm you if I find it
Pete

been there and got a couple
looks like they will have to be the go

if you do find I'd appreciate the info Pete

fxst
3rd Jun 2013, 11:36 PM
no worries I'll look for it tonight
Pete