PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in casting a fan disc for me?

KBs PensNmore
16th May 2013, 09:38 PM
I have a Woodfast Disc Sander that requires a new disc. It is 305mm finished diameter with a 20mm lip around the edge and about 12 fins on the inside. The original disc was machined incorrectly with about 4mm deflection, I had this re-machined but it went through to the balance holes (about 3mm thick and opposite side about 8mm) and now has a VERY BAD vibration
Would anyone be interested in casting a new one for me, I have contacted the manufacturer in China, they told me contact Woodfast Australia, which I have done and received no reply from them. :((
What sort of money would I be looking at, I can send over the old one as a sample to make the mold from, and to use as casting material.
Regards
Kryn

BobL
17th May 2013, 12:33 AM
My experience with getting a spare part with Woodfast has been disappointing. I asked about ordering a lathe pulley and the response was it would take 8 weeks to get it in and then it arrived they would contact me. After about 4 months I contacted them and they said we know nothing about this and they said it would take another 8 weeks so I gave up and made my own.

It may be easier to have the fans disc fabricated than cast it as setup costs for casting will be very expensive, can you perhaps post a picture of it?

KBs PensNmore
17th May 2013, 09:08 PM
My experience with getting a spare part with Woodfast has been disappointing. I asked about ordering a lathe pulley and the response was it would take 8 weeks to get it in and then it arrived they would contact me. After about 4 months I contacted them and they said we know nothing about this and they said it would take another 8 weeks so I gave up and made my own.

It may be easier to have the fans disc fabricated than cast it as setup costs for casting will be very expensive, can you perhaps post a picture of it?

Thanks for the reply Bob, I managed to get a spare through H&F, $78.95 plus postage. Believe it or not, it was off the shelf in Sydney.:2tsup:
Fabricating one was my next option if it was tooooo expensive.
Regards
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
17th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Gees your quick Bob.
Kryn