PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron english wheel.

clear out
10th Apr 2013, 11:55 PM
This is the second casting we have had done by a local iron foundry for a batch of wheeling machines we are making.Had a bit movement in the alignment of the top wheel boss due to radial shrinkage so the foundry is going to try a chill in the next cast.
H
Sorry about the upside down pic the iPad is taking over again. The Morgan is dead so that is ok by me.

.RC.
13th Apr 2013, 06:38 AM
Very nice, what was the foundry you used?

clear out
13th Apr 2013, 09:12 AM
Very nice, what was the foundry you used?
We used Austral Alloys at Bankstown here in Sydney.
They use no flasks or boxes.
The patterns must be boxed on a board with plastic locators.
( Adolf's pattern supplies).Barnes has them in Oz.
They use a chem set sand.
Cleanest and most organised foundry I have ever seen.
We nearly have the first one up and wheeling,I will post a pic when it's done.
H.

steamboatbrucey
17th Apr 2013, 12:27 PM
That frame is a thing of beauty, is it a stub axle type machine Bruce

clear out
17th Jul 2013, 12:58 AM
Yes I guess it could be described as a stub axle machine.
Here are a few pics of the finished product.277228277227277229277230I used one of the table adjusting handwheels off my Barker jointer as a pattern to cast this.
Will now have to mod 2 more and make an odd side as there is interest in a few Ewheels from restorers.
The auto body resto game has gone thru a revival a bit like woodworking.
Not so many experts yet but give them time.
H.

CGroves
17th Jul 2013, 10:47 AM
Very nice job. Would you happen to have pictures of the patterns you used? It would be good to see the various stages of the build.

Christian

clear out
18th Jul 2013, 09:47 AM
Hi Christian,
Here are a few pics of some marking out mid build up. Note the pencil superglued to the height gauge.:D
This was done at work on their Barker jointer using the fence as an angle block.
The next is with the webs glued in and bogging the fillets happening.
The tank and seat were made by the guy I'm doing this with.
We're off to the foundry next Tuesday so I'll get some pics of the completed boxed patterns.
H.

CGroves
18th Jul 2013, 10:30 AM
Hello H,

Thanks for posting those. It looks like a nice nice workshop to have access to. I did like the superglued pencil.

How did you form the curved webs? Laminate them, bend them or turn them up on the lathe?

BTW I don't know if you've seen the "Metal Church" videos on youtube:
METAL-CHURCH -2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFWjkGN_EGY)

Some more machines for you to make :-)

Christian

DSEL74
18th Jul 2013, 10:36 AM

Great project. For the pattern how did you go about making the flanged edges?
Are you going to make a holder for the various radii roller profiles?

Have you tested the prototype for flex yet? Even the big old antique cast iron english wheels are known to have issues at times with flex.

DSEL74
18th Jul 2013, 11:39 AM
I was thinking about your project and I was wondering once you remove the cores how did you do the bores? Are they machined out or did you just bolt in some sleeves?
.Attachment 277228 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f267/277228-cast-iron-english-wheel-p1050132.jpg)Attachment 277227 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f267/277227-cast-iron-english-wheel-p1050131.jpg)Attachment 277229 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f267/277229-cast-iron-english-wheel-p1050133.jpg)Attachment 277230 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f267/277230-cast-iron-english-wheel-p1050134.jpg)

What sort of dimensions does it have?

clear out
18th Jul 2013, 11:50 AM
Christian et al,
The pattern is machined up bits of jelly (Jelutong) on half inch ply.
The curves are just cut from the solid with the grain as long as possible.
The bosses and prints are split turnings in jelly.
The fillets are in bog (car filler) this is the worst part of the job.
I cut templates from sheet metal or plastic but there's till hours of sanding.
That video is interesting. I was in the workshop of an warbird museum in LA recently and they had a Yoder! Makes the Eckold look like a toy.

I'm only the patternmaker that is the machinist problem!
The other bod involved in this did it on a big mill but it was a struggle to fit.
He kept muttering about a horizontal borer?

I think everything will flex if you wind up enough pressure on the wheels.
They have a few old Heine's at TAFE also seen a few AP Levers here in Sydney.
They seem to have survived ok.

H.

DSEL74
18th Jul 2013, 12:14 PM
Check out Peach & Tommasini, I have been to Tommasini's work shop and he has some monster English wheels. Peach is now retired.
Classic Car Restoration Melbourne VIC - Restoring Old Cars Victoria, Vintage & Antique Car Restoration- Keys To Classic - Home (http://www.handbuilt.net.au/)

They made a one piece Holden Quarter panel from hand. The Yanks still can't believe it can be done in one piece, good old Aussies!

clear out
18th Jul 2013, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=DSEL74;1674157]Check out Peach & Tommasini, I have been to Tommasini's work shop and he has some monster English wheels. Peach is now retired.

Check back in his workshop later in the year you never know what you'll find.:2tsup:
H.

Sideshow206
20th Jul 2013, 04:05 AM
Beautiful job on the wheeling machine! Are they available?
Thanks for the pictures and posting.

clear out
21st Jul 2013, 02:15 PM
Beautiful job on the wheeling machine! Are they available?
Thanks for the pictures and posting.

G'day sideshow,
Which part of Northern North America are you from?
My wife is from Red Deer Alberta.
Hope to be there next year for an extended stay and maybe get a motorhome to do some touring around.
I made the patterns for a mate in a barter deal.
He has a few orders.
Calls himself motoRRetro.
You should be able to find something on the net.
The casting weighs about 80kg so a complete package must be pushing 100.
Bit heavy for the hand luggage I'm afraid.:no:
H.

camoz
25th Jul 2013, 01:42 PM
Henry,

That is a masterpiece:2tsup: (this is of cause coming from someone who has never used one, and knows very little about them:-, OK I will go back to the woodworking forum were I belong:U). I look forward to seeing it with the cast legs.

Cheers,

Camo

clear out
11th Nov 2014, 11:34 AM
We have just done 2 in aluminium.
This is mine, we had modded the pattern to make it stiffer after some feedback.
I then double sided taped on some 6mm ply to each side and redid the fillets bigger in plasticine. That took the centre web from 25mm to about 40mm.
There have been about 12 of the original cast iron ones made.
16 off the modded pattern and the 2 in Al. 30 in total.
When we started this exercise we were thinking 4.
2 for the panel bashers, 1 for my mate the machinist and one for me the patternmaker.
H

Simplicity
11th Nov 2014, 01:10 PM
Wow

rob streeper
11th Nov 2014, 02:15 PM
Beautiful work.

DSEL74
11th Nov 2014, 07:02 PM
You selling these now?

clear out
12th Nov 2014, 08:55 AM
You selling these now?

The cast iron ones have been available thru Hare and Forbes for most of this year.
Tommasinni took one to SEMA the hot rod show in Vegas, don't know how he went.
He also sells them from his workshop and demos in Melbourne.
The Al casting was meant to be a one off at my initiative for myself but one of the panel bashers got one also. I guess it will be easier to load and unload for demos.

I am not involved in the commercial side of things I am doing the Patternmaking for the Ewheels and other products on a barter basis.
I have a Morgan that the boys have done chassis work on and a Mazda 3 wheel ute that needs major body work. My mate the machinist has a '34 Fargo in the back of my shop having the grill and guards massaged.
H.

Vann
27th Nov 2014, 03:11 PM
Fantastic work (though I wonder how the aluminium ones will stand up - or are they just decorative samples?).

The bottom roller looks flat. IIRC the ones we had when I was an apprentice, had at least a couple of interchangeable bottom rollers, of varying radii (I don't recall a flat one). Do these come with more than one bottom roller? (no, I don't want to buy one - just asking)

Cheers, Vann.

clear out
28th Nov 2014, 07:53 PM
Fantastic work (though I wonder how the aluminium ones will stand up - or are they just decorative samples?).

The bottom roller looks flat.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann,
The Al has been heat treated, that and the choice of alloy plus the increase of the centre rib from 25 to 40mm should make it usable.
It was my idea to do the Al casting, just because we could I guess.
My mate Hugh the machinist part of this project has his cast iron version in my shed for the foreseeable future so we will be able to compare them in use.
They come with 4 bottom wheels of different radii.
The one in the pic is the flattest, you can just see the contact line in the centre if you look closely.
What make was the one you used in your youth?
Was it locally made, were they ever made in NZ?
Here in Oz John Heine, A P Lever and McPhersons all made cast iron versions.
Regards
H.

Vann
29th Nov 2014, 06:28 AM
What make was the one you used in your youth?
Was it locally made, were they ever made in NZ?
Here in Oz John Heine, A P Lever and McPhersons all made cast iron versions.I wish I could remember, but I left there in 1980, and the place closed about 1993. I do remember the name Heine on some equipment (the big 8' guilotine maybe?). We also had a big power nibbler that was German - and rumoured to have been acquired as 'war reparations' after WW1. And although the overhead lineshafts were long gone, there was a large sheetmetal roller in the coppersmiths shop that still had a lineshaft - apparently it wasn't worth changing to direct drive, way back. It was almost never used (shame). This was at the Otahuhu Railway Workshops in South Auckland.

But back to the wheeling machines. I don't know about Holden panels, but at tech (mid 1970s), we had to make up a Morris Minor rear mudguard, which must be similar. Mine was rather flat I'm afraid :B. Again I didn't take notice of who the manufacturer was :doh:.

Cheers, Vann.