PDA

View Full Version : Anvils

Bob47
19th Feb 2013, 09:26 AM
I notice that some one in Victoria is selling new 10kg anvils on ebay for $85, presumably Chinese. They have no hardy hole.

Does anyone have any knowlegde of these? Are they cast iron and likely to break?

Bob

AndrewOC
19th Feb 2013, 01:04 PM
G'day Bob,

I reckon you would be better off taking your $85 to a metal yard and get a piece 2" thick x your fist-to-floor height, and make it stand up.

See; Brazeal Anvil Rising * 4" Plate Anvil (with pics) - Anvils - I Forge Iron (http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/12883-brazeal-anvil-rising-4-plate-anvil-with-pics/)

good luck,
AndrewOC

BobL
19th Feb 2013, 02:00 PM
I notice that some one in Victoria is selling new 10kg anvils on ebay for $85, presumably Chinese. They have no hardy hole.

If you are after something super cheap maybe take a look at the McJing anvils (http://www.mcjing.com.au/searchresult.aspx?keyword=anvil) - at least they have a hardy hole.
11kg for $59, 33kg for 98 and 25 kg for $149, As usual freight is a problem but maybe get them to bring one down when the woodshow is on?

bsrlee
20th Feb 2013, 03:10 AM
Almost certainly cast iron of some sort, not suitable for pounding on. The large ones that were on sale a few decades ago, around 100lbs, were OK as tool holders or for setting rivets for leatherwork on, but cracked in half if used for forging. If they didn't crack in half then they were soft as old chewing gum and basically sagged into uselessness. Anything too small doesn't have the mass to stop it bouncing around, and no hardy hole means you can't fit any of the usual tools to it - its basically a boat anchor or decorator item.

Good anvils are not cheap, even second hand anvils that haven't been abused as hard to find, they have either been turned into scrap by unthinking or caring owners or have been snapped up by interior decorators......or people like US. 'Real' anvils are still being made, but freight is going to kill you.

Bob47
20th Feb 2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the comments. In response to my question the seller advised that it was cast iron.

I won't waste my money, scrap steel is the way to go,

Bob

Corin
27th Feb 2013, 12:22 PM
I recently picked up some old forklift tines from a dealer for next to nothing. They are great steel for an anvil, though the ones I got are a little thin... Probably I will use them for hammers and tools.

The point is though ask around and you will be amazed what you can get for very little cash.

BobL
27th Feb 2013, 02:06 PM
I recently picked up some old forklift tines from a dealer for next to nothing. They are great steel for an anvil, though the ones I got are a little thin... Probably I will use them for hammers and tools.

The point is though ask around and you will be amazed what you can get for very little cash.

Oh no ! :oo:- I stumbled across a bent set of tines on a pile of scrap a few months back - I thought for an instant they might be useful but then did not give them a second thought. I will go back and take a look but I doubt they will be there.

Corin
27th Feb 2013, 07:25 PM
Oh no ! :oo:- I stumbled across a bent set of tines on a pile of scrap a few months back - I thought for an instant they might be useful but then did not give them a second thought. I will go back and take a look but I doubt they will be there.

D'oh, They are normally good carbon steel, 4140 or better. They are normally forged and heat treated. they also come in monster sizes up to about 100mm thick for the real big ones. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for. If you find any and don't want them let me know I will take em if I can get em!

anglesmith
27th Feb 2013, 07:26 PM
BobL, Have alook at this blokes forklift tine anvil. Lots of other interesting stuff here also!Fred Connell - Blacksmith (http://ornamentalroseengine.com/smith/forklifttine3.php)
Graeme