PDA

View Full Version : Furnace for cast iron

giesser
11th Jan 2013, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone

If anyone is interested in melting cast iron I have made a video about how to make a small furnace that will run on propane and takes about 30 minutes to melt the cast iron.
How to build a small cast iron melting furnace. - YouTube (http://youtu.be/1DyeESQpac0)

enelef
11th Jan 2013, 05:55 PM
that was cool :cool:

emu243
12th Jan 2013, 09:59 PM
Great video. Probably the best I have seen on building a furnace.

Where did you get your insulation from?

Regards Floyd

.RC.
12th Jan 2013, 10:00 PM
Very nice.... it that a cast iron pour in the video?

Log
13th Jan 2013, 08:29 PM
Hi giesser,

Your first post, welcome aboard.
I like your work/videos, I spotted you on youtube some time back and have been checking on your new vids as they came up.

I've been casting Aluminium and a little bit of brass and bronze on and off for about 8 years now and bought a couple of clay graphite crucibles about 5 years ago just so I could try cast iron, unfortunately that's as far as I progressed as I haven't gotten around to building a furnace capable of withstanding a cast iron heat.

My idea was to build a small furnace using a Kaowool equivalent that I can get from my crucible supplier. So a couple of weeks ago when I saw your video, as you've linked too, I got the urge again to try cast iron, mightn't happen anytime soon though:C.

If you're the bloke I'm thinking of, I was impressed with your waste oil burner set up from some years ago and was going to give that a go too(on my current furnace) but didn't get to it.

Did you ever write an article/articles for Australian Model Engineer?, used to buy them once upon a time, should subscribe again I suppose.

Cheers.

snowyskiesau
13th Jan 2013, 09:42 PM
Good stuff. I've seen some of your videos via the madmodder forum.

I would love to try casting one day but aluminium.

giesser
14th Jan 2013, 12:49 PM
Thank you for looking at the video.

I was pouring cast iron in the video.

Kaowool can be found in the yellow pages under insulation/refractories.

Brobdingnagian
15th Jan 2013, 12:35 AM
Thank you for looking at the video.

I was pouring cast iron in the video.

Kaowool can be found in the yellow pages under insulation/refractories.

How many melts can you get before you need to replace the kaowool?

giesser
16th Jan 2013, 10:16 AM
When melting aluminium it would last a long time, but melting cast iron expect less. Crucibles are the same deal they will not last as long melting cast iron but with aluminium they will last a long time.

Matt_M
26th Oct 2013, 04:55 PM
That was awesome!!

I used to repair the gantry cranes at Weir foundry in Artarmon, Sydney and spent hours just watching them melt and pour :D

Com_VC
22nd Dec 2013, 02:50 PM
Hi,

Out of interest how much did it cost all up from start to finish?

Thanks

giesser
3rd Jan 2014, 05:06 PM
I had some kaowool but had to buy the zircon paint. It was $150. To buy all the parts needed it would cost about $250, you could make many furnaces from whats left over.