PDA

View Full Version : smithy leg vice 'n' tank

AndrewOC
14th Nov 2012, 06:32 PM
Hi all,
apologies for putting this on The Smithy forum rather than welding and Fab, but I don't know a metal fabber that would have need for a ~300 litre quench tank. ;)

At first I had only mounted the 6" leg vice on the I beam (that is now between vice and the tank). This was alarmingly unstable- leg vices are very front heavy.
Now the tank holds it up, it all can be moved with the pallet jack and one may take a bath in hot weather.

enjoy,
AndrewOC

anglesmith
14th Nov 2012, 07:33 PM
Andrew, That looks good, how deep is it, the tap is only 2/3 s down from the top ?
It shouldn't move much with that amount of water in it!
Graeme

AndrewOC
14th Nov 2012, 09:31 PM
I've forgotton the depth, either 610mm or 660mm. The aim was to match the underside of the vice bracket...and the scrap plate was generous enough. The tap is that height to pour into watering can, attach a hose, etc.
A.

anglesmith
14th Nov 2012, 09:36 PM
I'd would just dip it out! How are you keeping any way?
Graeme A

AndrewOC
14th Nov 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm well Graeme! Good to hear from you. We hope to have another blacksmithing day in Sydney, like last time. I haven't confirmed with the site manager yet, but the date should be 26th May 2013. Think you can come?
March 31, June 30 are also possibilities as a few other workshop-ees are keen for more!

The tap is also for laughs. On the other side is a big ball valve, near the bottom, to drain the tank when needed.
A

anglesmith
14th Nov 2012, 10:14 PM
Aha that explains it. There are a lot of old wife's tales about what the water from the blacksmith's slack tub could do, every thing from curing warts to aiding pregnancy!!
Yes, I do hope I can get down this year? Keep reminding me! ( a dripping TAP works wonders)
Graeme