PDA

View Full Version : Just two of a range of kit cars

gatiep
6th Jan 2005, 10:50 PM
Metalwork and fibreglass.

Just two of a range of kit cars that I built while living in South Africa. I'll post more pics once I've scanned the other vehicle pics.

1) Donor Kombi
2) Completed Fibreglass Kombi. 13 Bodies were moulded. I bought 12 and 13 and had both on the road before any of the other 11 were finished. The body shell is uniconstruction, including the glassfibre floor. The front doors are gull wing doors. One had a manual gear box and 1600 VW aircooled motor. The other had an automatic Kombi gearbox, Ford 2l V4 engine ( output range suits the Kombi box ) with radiator and thermostatically controlled radiator up front. The radiator and engine was connected with 50 mm stainless steel tube and a bit of flexible radiator hose. The auto version is still used today, 16 years later by a general dealer on the Natal South Coast for delivering his customer's purchases. He chose this vehicle because of the fibreglass body being rust resistant, and the well treated VW Kombi chassis will last for many years. Exhaust and silencer is stainless steel.The designer, Roy Letherbarrow, did the fibreglass molding but had no idea as how to do the locks, striker plates etc, etc, etc, like in all the bits and pieces to make it work.

3, 4 + 5) A T-top buggy on VW Beetle running gear. The metal pan was cut out to only leave the front and rear crossmembers and the tunnel. A Glassfibre floor pan was molded off an original metal one and made up an almost rustproof vehicle. During the building period I had a 6 week period of broken left arm in two places....the elbow and the wrist, which slowed down but not stopped building. A 1600 VW aircooled motor was used with 215 x 15 tyres. Went like a dream on the beach.

More later if you are interrested.

Cya

:)

Harry72
7th Jan 2005, 03:03 AM
Hmm dunno what to do go campin or go hit the sand dunes!
They look like fun mate... the kombi would be great if it was a 4X4.