PDA

View Full Version : Basic supply question

Driver
2nd Jan 2005, 01:09 PM
So I was in Bunnies' tool shop - just casually having a look - honest! Anyway, there was a tap and die set (metric) that winked at me - so I bought it.

I reckon, conservatively, that it has been about 42 years since I last actually cut a thread - in a school metalwork class.

I quite fancy the notion of being able to make threaded rod and so on for jigs etc (I know you can buy it ready-made but what the hell? It's a pastime with me - not a career).

Where can I buy metal rod stock (steel, brass, aluminium, maybe) in Perth? Any advice you blokes can give me would be welcome.

Col

gatiep
2nd Jan 2005, 03:32 PM
Col

Steel, stainless steel, ali, brass, copper, bronze and other alloys in short lengths in rounds, hex etc are available from Prime Steels in Malaga. Looking at a biro they gave me last time I was there, no address but phone 9248 2666, code 08 for Perth. They are expensive but otherwise one has to get 6 to 8 meter lengths.

:)

Driver
2nd Jan 2005, 07:37 PM
Joe

Thanks, mate. I'll go and have a look.

Col

echnidna
2nd Jan 2005, 08:16 PM
So how much are you going to charge forum members for allthread Col??

rodm
3rd Jan 2005, 01:03 AM
Col,
I have got a fair bit of steel in the last couple of years and my first stop is scrap metal merchants. You pay a bit more than scrap price for new offcuts. With a boom in the mining sector lately there seems to be a reasonable amount floating around. Ring a couple of moblie scrap merchants and ask them to keep some aside.
If your needs are immediate then I have found Metaland good to deal with. The minimum quantity is 2 metres. Brass is really expensive and aluminium isn't far behind. I wouldn't recommend aluminium as it is not durable enough for repeated tightening. Don't be tempted to buy from Bunnings unless you are willing to pay at least twice the price of a steel merchant.
Metaland
10 Rogers Way Landsdale WA 6065
ph: (08) 9409 7788
If you need any special fitting for your jigs I have a couple of metalworking lathes and a mill. I need the practice so as long as there is only a few of something I would be happy to help out.

Driver
3rd Jan 2005, 09:54 AM
Rod

Thanks for the advice and the very generous offer of help - I really appreciate it.

I'm in the process of mentally designing a couple of jigs (in other words, they're slowly revolving through my brain cells before I put pen to paper and design them properly). Once I have a clearer idea of what I want to do, I'll know if I need any special fittings.

Bob - mates rates will apply of course :D

Col