PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE:QLD Bulk Lot– 68 Wiltshire Files (Australian Made)

rocket1975
11th Sep 2010, 12:12 AM
For Sale: 68 (approx 8kg!) of mixed files by Wiltshire Australia.

These came from my late Fathers tool box. His collection also incorporated tools that belonged to his Father and Father-in-law, so they could be anywhere from 20-70+ years old judging by the tools that were with them.

I am no tool expert by any means, but from what I have read on this and other forums, Wiltshire files have a reputation for good quality, and being Australian made, they are becoming quite sought after by collectors and tool users alike.

I won’t try and list every single file by size and type, but I will take a number of images and attach them here so you can see what is on offer.

The 68 in total made up as follows:

22 regular flat shape
10 half round
8 square
12 triangular
16 round

From what I can see this brand of files sells for $3.00-$5.00 each on eBay.

What I would like to see is the collection staying together and going to someone who will value them both as a piece of Australian tool history and as honest working tools.

There-for I am offering this bulk lot for sale here as my first avenue of sale, and if no one is interested, I will resort to good old eBay.

Asking $200.00 o.n.o. + postage*

(Pick up from Boondall QLD 4034 is fine too)

*From what I can see Australia Post would charge about $25.00 to deliver these by regular mail but I can confirm postage to your location if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking, please PM me with any questions or offers.

Rod

rocket1975
15th Sep 2010, 10:37 PM
Price Drop : $180.00 ono + postage if applicable.

Any questions or offers please let me know.

thanks

rod

rocket1975
18th Sep 2010, 09:47 PM
$160.00 + postage ! :2tsup:
Let me know if you are interested.
rod

carrmar
21st Sep 2010, 04:54 PM
g'day,

do you still have this stuff avail?
let me no
cheers

rocket1975
21st Sep 2010, 04:57 PM
thanks carrmar, yes indeed they are still available. I'll send you a PM.
rod

rocket1975
22nd Sep 2010, 10:25 PM
still for sale at this stage.
thanks
rod

rocket1975
6th Oct 2010, 04:58 PM
OK here we go, final price drop

$150.00 + postage

send me a PM if you are interested or would like more info.

thanks again

rod

weisyboy
6th Oct 2010, 09:22 PM
only problem with old files is they dont file no more.

unfortunatly not worth mutch more than scrap.

rocket1975
6th Oct 2010, 09:53 PM
only problem with old files is they dont file no more.

unfortunatly not worth mutch more than scrap.

thanks for your valuable input.

apart from the fact that most if not all these files have had little use and still have life left in them, they are also good old Australian made tools that will be valuable to collectors now and in the future.

rod

bobsreturn2003
9th Oct 2010, 08:05 AM
YEP LOOKING AT THOSE WHAT ARE CLEAR ITS BIN MATERIAL SORRY :doh:

rocket1975
9th Oct 2010, 10:27 AM
please explain? what makes these old Aussie tool from a good manufacturer worthless ? are they any different to the ones selling on eBay $3 ea +
If I am working on an incorrect assumption here please correct me?
Are they not Aussie tools...are they no longer made by that company, are they not old, are they not made from quality materials? Seems to add up to collectable and valuable to me...:o
no really :~

switt775
9th Oct 2010, 01:10 PM
please explain? what makes these old Aussie tool from a good manufacturer worthless ? are they any different to the ones selling on eBay $3 ea +
If I am working on an incorrect assumption here please correct me?
Are they not Aussie tools...are they no longer made by that company, are they not old, are they not made from quality materials? Seems to add up to collectable and valuable to me...:o
no really :~

I think you'll find the problem is that files are not really very collectible. Certainly not in the way planes and chisels are.

Selling them one by one, or in small groups, I'm sure you'd find some interest from people looking for tools to use rather than to collect.

rocket1975
9th Oct 2010, 03:22 PM
I think you'll find the problem is that files are not really very collectible. Certainly not in the way planes and chisels are.

Selling them one by one, or in small groups, I'm sure you'd find some interest from people looking for tools to use rather than to collect.

thank you switt for your constructive comment. :)
I have already had a number of interested people send me PM's about buying the bulk pack, but if that does not work out, I will consider that advice.

bobsreturn2003
9th Oct 2010, 07:09 PM
ACTUALLY WORKED AT THE FACTORY 40 YEARS AGO FOR A FEW WEEKS. AINT NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THEM . MADE MILLIONS OF EM SORT OF LIKE WORN OUT PENCILS . BUT YOU NEVER KNOW :o

greg_n
9th Oct 2010, 08:57 PM
FWIW, here's a good example (note these aren't even rusty):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160454441301

Cheers,
greg_n

rocket1975
9th Oct 2010, 09:40 PM
FWIW, here's a good example (note these aren't even rusty):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160454441301

Cheers,
greg_n

so are they Wiltshire? does not look like it. just a random assortment. :no:

Although files may not be as collectable as chisels or planes, as part of Aussie tool history it's not hard to guess they will become so, especially if everyone else is throwing theirs out :q

Thanks for all your input, if anyone wants them please PM me, if not please refrain from negative comments on my crap worthless tools. :p

rod