PDA

View Full Version : "PLEASE EXPLAIN" (sorry Pauline)

buildspacetrain
28th Jul 2010, 12:21 PM
OK, I know I'm a bit slow :C but VSB Bulletin 1 on trailer lighting is surely meant for a rocket scientist, and I couldn't contact Dr Wernher Von Braun.....so can I ask the common man for some guidance?
The dimensions of the new trailer are as follows:
Overall length from rear of trailer to coupling is 6160mm.
Overall width to outer edges of mudguards is 2130mm.
The tray is 1500mm wide by 4600mm long and 900mm total height from the ground.
The plan was to have STOP, TAIL, INDICATOR, NUMBER PLATE and RED REFLECTOR at the rear.(obviously).
One WHITE FRONT POSITION LAMP and REFLECTOR on each side pointing forward.
One RED/AMBER side clearance lamp mounted on each mudguard.
ORANGE REFLECTORS down each side every 3000mm.
Where I'm confused is do I need extra SIDE MARKING lamps front and/or rear or can I get away with just the clearance lamps mounted on the mudguards?
The more I read the Bulletin the more I get confused about these side marking lights, especially when they give you two options and then say you might not need them at all.
Thanks and Cheers.

Yonnee
28th Jul 2010, 06:19 PM
OK. Now that I've re-read the latest version, and the revision is even more ambiguous than before, but here's a quick rundown in slightly simpler terms.

Reflectors:
A pair of Red at the rear. (Can be part of the rear taillight assembly.)
A pair of White at the front. (Can be part of front position marker.)
Now this is the tricky bit.
One Amber reflector is placed on the side of the trailer somewhere within a 3000mm distance of the front of the coupling.
One Amber reflector is placed on the side of the trailer somewhere within the middle third of the overall length.
One Amber reflector is placed on the side of the trailer somewhere within a 1000mm distance of the rear of the trailer.
If any of these sections overlap, then one reflector can do two jobs, or even all three. (As with the case of any trailer under 9000m long, the middle third will overlap the front 3000mm.)

Lamps:
The rear's a no-brainer. Stop, Tail, Indicator, Number plate, and optional reverse, blah, blah...
If you trailer's under 1800mm and less than 4000m long, then only the rear lights are required.

If you trailer's over 1800mm wide, or if it's over 1600mm wide and 4000mm long, then in addition to the rears, you require one pair of White lamps on the front, OR you can replace the front White lamps with a pair of Red/Ambers on the front corner.

If you're over 2100mm wide, but less than 7500mm long, then in addition to the above, you only require one pair of Red/Amber side markers at the rear corner of the trailer.

Here's where the confusion lies. In addition to those listed above, a trailer wider than 2100mm also requires end outline markers, a pair of White on the front and a pair Red on the rear, "as high as possible". But it doesn't specify what height the trailer needs to be, nor does it say you can combine these with the other lamps. So how does one put an end outline marker on a low but wide trailer such as a car trailer, "as high as possible"?

"Technically" because you're over 2100mm wide, but less than 7500mm, you would require the two Red/Ambers on the rear corner of your tray, and either another pair on the front corner, or a pair of White on the front.

BUT... there is a loophole that says something like, "if the structure of the trailer can't accomodate the front and rear pair, then One pair on the guard will suffice". It's primarily there for boat trailers that don't have a "front and a rear" without adding them to the boat. But I've seen so many on the road and registered with only one pair of Red/Ambers, you'd probably be OK, but it's not entirely correct.

buildspacetrain
28th Jul 2010, 09:46 PM
OK, thanks Yonnee.
You have confirmed what I thought the rules are. My confusion is that most box type trailers have some type of structure to attach these side lamps to at each corner, yet I have seen many new trailers wider and longer (car trailers) with just clearance lamps on the mudguards. Most trailer manufacturers register their trailers themselves without a vicroads inspector nitpicking about lamp requirements so maybe they get away with it.??

Yonnee
29th Jul 2010, 12:36 AM
OK, thanks Yonnee.
You have confirmed what I thought the rules are. My confusion is that most box type trailers have some type of structure to attach these side lamps to at each corner, yet I have seen many new trailers wider and longer (car trailers) with just clearance lamps on the mudguards. Most trailer manufacturers register their trailers themselves without a vicroads inspector nitpicking about lamp requirements so maybe they get away with it.??

Yeah, this is the problem with the whole trailer industry. To become elegible to register your own trailers as a business, you only have to present the first one to Vicroads as a sample of what you're going to be building. If that one checks out OK, then you're issued with a stack of rego forms, and a stack of number plates. And as long as you keep handing the paperwork and the money in on time, they (Vicroads) pretty much leave you alone. The onus is on you the manufacturer to make sure that the trailers keep on complying with all the regulations, however, unless a buyer complains, then no-one checks. And when half the Vicroads people don't know the trailer regs properly, then how do you expect the average Joe trailer buyer to know that his trailer doesn't have enough lights on it.

soundman
2nd Aug 2010, 11:54 PM
here is a thaught too,and possibly a complication.

the standard as written sort of assumes that the trailer is square with straight sides......if the body of the trailer is "under width" and the only thing that is over width for the requirement is the guards....would they be happy clearance lights on the guards only.

It might be worth a ruling.

cheers

Yonnee
3rd Aug 2010, 10:26 PM
BUT... there is a loophole that says something like, "if the structure of the trailer can't accomodate the front and rear pair, then One pair on the guard will suffice". It's primarily there for boat trailers that don't have a "front and a rear" without adding them to the boat. But I've seen so many on the road and registered with only one pair of Red/Ambers, you'd probably be OK, but it's not entirely correct.

The width of the guards is the width of the trailer, regardless of type of trailer.

buildspacetrain
4th Aug 2010, 06:36 PM
Decided not to muck around and have put a red/amber on each corner, front and rear AND one on the mudguards as well.
Fn christmas tree!