PDA

View Full Version : small metal projects

wodstok
19th Jul 2010, 09:06 PM
hey guys do any of you know any small metal projects. i have a mig and arc welder and other metal work tools.

tom/WODSTOK

wheelinround
19th Jul 2010, 09:15 PM
:U Heaps but your to far away other side of the island :;

Wodstok it depends on what you want to make, materials you have at hand, shed space and most of all what is it you need ATM.

Of hand a trolley for your welders, welding bench, grinder stand for bench type, of cut saw stand.

Ray

wodstok
19th Jul 2010, 10:27 PM
i have a very large shed (5x5m (very large for a 14 year old)) and i have acess to a scrap yard. my mum is the driving force behinde it all and i want to make some money. i would like to sell them at the local markets on sundays. i dont have acess to a oxy set:C.

thanks

tom/WODSTOK

Grahame Collins
19th Jul 2010, 10:54 PM
Tool Brackets for the shed wall
Angle grinder brackets.

Lots a people have one or more angle grinders.

I have 3 and am looking for another. 1x 100 , 1 x 115, 1 x 125 disc diameters.

Made from 25 mm x 25mm x 3mm angle with an arc cut out for the angle grinder barrel.

The arc is cut out with a jig saw and dressed with a file.

2 Tabs are tacked to the side with the gap to hold the angle grinder guard. the wall side is drilled and countersunk for 8g screws.Paint them with a cheap rattle can from super cheap.

The same 25 x 25 angle is drilled or notched to suit,pliers,vice grips, screwdrivers, rulers, tape measures hacksaw you name it and its not rocket science.

Can post pics of my brackets if there's an interest.

Grahame.

Franklin
19th Jul 2010, 11:23 PM
Grahame, pic please, I think I understand, but we are 2 hours behind you over this side of OZ

Grahame Collins
19th Jul 2010, 11:23 PM
Hi,
Another rush of Zhit to the brain is horsehoe art.
Get to know some farriers for used horse shoes.
The web has a heap of pics for ideas,google horseshoe art.

Metal sculpture from scrap mechanical parts is another avenue,again google is your friend.

Grahame

wheelinround
20th Jul 2010, 08:56 AM
:2tsup: Doing well for a 14 yr old with a 5x5 shed and welding gear. Safety always please.

Thanks for clearing things up a little in what your after making sort of.

wodstok
20th Jul 2010, 06:45 PM
thanks heaps for your help i thing i might have a go with some car parts

thanks
tom/WODSTOK

jatt
20th Jul 2010, 07:52 PM
Another rush of Zhit to the brain is horsehoe art.
Get to know some farriers for used horse shoes

Dunno about art, but found horse shoes are good for hanging stuff on. Got heaps welded to the columns in the shed to support stuff that comes in on roll ie canvas. Lenths of ally extrusion, rope, cable.... the list goes on. With 5 horses on the block there is no shortage of discarded shoes.

Grahame Collins
20th Jul 2010, 09:01 PM
As requested
There's a few pics - in order they are
1. I of 4 different types of AG brackets
2. Another AG bkt
3. hacksaw Bkt.Jpg
4.A ruler Bkt/

All easy stuff to knock up with a few basic tools.

All made from light job left overs RHS and 25 x 3 flat bar.
Some cuts with 1 mm cutting discs,others hacksaw.
Other tools to finish are small chisel and file.

Grahame

JLD
20th Jul 2010, 09:04 PM
hey guys do any of you know any small metal projects. i have a mig and arc welder and other metal work tools.

tom/WODSTOK
your mum would love this in her lounge room
TechSmith | Screencast.com, online video sharing, ALIEN SCULPTURE (http://www.screencast.com/users/JD/folders/Design%20In%20Metal/media/5a434fa1-5333-4f3b-bab6-ba1d176ed8cd)
Just a few old car parts...way to go. You could do a small version and place a rats skull on for the head.
Cheers
JLD

Grahame Collins
24th Jul 2010, 10:25 AM
Wodstok,
if you have your mig and not much else, I believe these would sell at the markets.

A mig welder ,nuts ,bolts washers and imagination is all you need.
A wire brush to clean them up and a can of clear lacquer .
They are saleable items that would net you $3 or $4 each or even more

Grahame

Grahame Collins
24th Jul 2010, 10:31 AM
Or for the horsey crowd

Grahame Collins
24th Jul 2010, 07:14 PM
Another idea is that of making metal belt buckle once your skills come up with your mig .

Designs or letters can be welded on the face.
Basically,the customers could come from any one of a large number of various interest groups.

I can think of rodeo , equestrian sports,fashion, motorbike riders,and footy clubs to name a few

Steel say 50 x 3mm flat bar would make a good buckle face and the fittings can be tacked on the back all very neatly with mig. The buckle face can be brushed and then clear lacquered.

Below are a couple of examples

Grahame

wodstok
24th Jul 2010, 08:31 PM
thanks heeps i think i will try to make the motor bike. i would like to make some ''nut men'' but i donthave an oxy. has anyonr used onr of thoes bbq gas setups with out oxygen if so have you brazed with it or dosent it burn hot enough:?.

thanks

tom/WODSTOK

Grahame Collins
24th Jul 2010, 09:28 PM
i would like to make some ''nut men'' but i donthave an oxy.
Tom
I am not sure if you need that to heat for bending or to braze.
If you make the nut men small enough you can use wire small enough to bend with pliers.

You can braze with LP barbeque gas ,but not having tried it myself, I can't tell you how good (or bad) it is.

I do have a disposable cylinder of gas I got at Bunnings.Its called Mapp gas and comes from a mob called Bernzo-matic.If you get the right one it comes with a self igniting torch as per a self lighting barbecue.

Its is fairly good at heating small rods to 10mm diam and should be ok for brazing. I'll take it to school and do a test to see if it does brass ok and report back .I take it from that you have not got your mig yet

Here are some more nut men pics then.They can be googled under the title of nut and bolt welded sculpture or similiar.As you can see they parts are tacked.A mig is superb for tacks.

Grahame

wodstok
25th Jul 2010, 03:32 PM
i have got my mig but i would like to do some brazing.

tom/WODSTOK