PDA

View Full Version : Diff Width

SNAFU
27th Jun 2010, 11:18 PM
Hi All

In the process of building a camping trailer and want it to have the same track as the tow vehical. It will also have Landcruiser wheels. Can anyone tell me the width of a Landcruiser 100s diff (2001), wheel stud to wheel stud. Thanks in advance,

Paul.

SurfinNev
28th Jun 2010, 11:17 AM
Track width is 1620mm front and 1615mm rear. You could work it out from there if you know the offset.

Toyota LandCruiser 100 Series (http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Toyota/100.html)

Nev

Yonnee
30th Jun 2010, 11:39 AM
Two things.
Firstly, if you own the vehicle, you'd be better measuring the vehicle yourself. Without having to remove the wheels and tyre from one axle, you can measure outside of tyre to outside of tyre, and then subtract outside of tyre to rim face. This will give you a 'Face-to-face' measurement for the trailer axle.

Secondly, I went down this path with a chassis I built for a customer, and discovered that the trailer ended up being a good couple of inches narrower than a standard 4' trailer. It might not sound like a lot, bit it's something to bear in mind, especially when packing for a long trip and space is at a premium. And also buying material for building the trailer, you're paying for a 6x4 or 7x4 floor sheet to begin with, then you have to get it cut down.

SNAFU
30th Jun 2010, 06:40 PM
Hi all

Thanks for replies. The trailer will utilise a trayback ute tray as the "load carrying" space so a narrower track isn't going to cause me too many headaches. Under this will go the water tanks and draw units. We are a family 6 (5 girls) and part of the build spec was lots of water (250ish L). I know this sounds like a lot, but, i want to be self-suficent for at least a week.

Cheers, Paul

Yonnee
30th Jun 2010, 11:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. OK, back to the wheels. If you measure your own, it should only take 10 mins, then you eliminate the possibility of getting any false information.

Also, measure your rim face to inside of tyre, add around 40-50mm, and multiply by two, then subtract this from the axle face-to-face from above, and this will give you your chassis width for the trailer.