PDA

View Full Version : Increasing the depth of my trailer

lukejj
27th Jun 2010, 08:50 PM
Hi,
I'm looking at increasing the height of our trailer sides to allow us to use it as a camper trailer.
I was initially thinking of welding on additional lengths onto the existing uprights at either end of the trailer, laying some RHS on top of them, then welding some metal sheets to close it in.

Now I leaning towards using angled steel (90 degrees) which would lay down the length of the trailer (on the existing sides), welding the upright RHS onto the angled steel, then laying the RHS onto of the uprights and closing it the sides in with metal sheets. The angled steel would then be bolted down onto the trailer.
The height at either end would need to be increased (if I kept the height permanent).
Can anyone suggest any alternatives or point any any problems with the ideas mentioned above?
I hope my description makes sense.
Thanks,
Luke

olfella
27th Jun 2010, 09:29 PM
If it were me I would be thinking about sitting something on top of the existing 6x4 that would extend the sides to above the mudguards/wheels. This would give you an extra 2 foot overall on the width for sleeping and then you could use the area below for storing. You could still secure this using the angle iron on the existing sides as you describe.

jatt
28th Jun 2010, 09:05 PM
Correct if I am wrong but it sounds like this is a permanent change to the trailer?

Regardless my suggestion is to make it up using "C" section. Put the back side of the C to the outside of the trailer. Can then weld/bolt the extension to the trailer top.

One can either:

1/ make the C extend right around the back of the tailgate or
2/ stop it short and alter or turf the tailgate so it is the full height of the trailer.

Senario 2 would probably require a brace across the trailer for rigidity. Making the height of the tailgate a bit lower than the sides makes it easier to open and close wrt to the bedbase.

If you do a quick search there is some other stuff I have posted previously. No point boring the other punters by rehashing stuff I have shown already.

A quick plug for my workplace: There is one with raised sides I am doing up at present in the shop. Oh and of course we do custom tentwork for campers :wink:

lukejj
29th Jun 2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the advice gents.
I think Olfella better described what I had in mind.

Jatt. Yes it will probably be a permanent change. I guess the idea of the angled iron or anything that bolts onto the top of the existing sides is a nice option as it means the trailer doesn't need too many modifications (so if I screw it up it's not permanent).
Having said that, the tailgate will need a modification to make it the same height as the sides. It may have to change from a drop down to a swing out as it will probably hit the ground with the extra height (when dropped down)
Thanks again
Luke

jatt
29th Jun 2010, 07:57 AM
It may have to change from a drop down to a swing out as it will probably hit the ground with the extra height (when dropped down)

Chains can fix that, but personally I would make it a swing out as you mentioned. Pack out the hinges so you can place a seal in between. I would be thinking now about the set up you are gunna use wrt cooking. As in if you opt to put a box with gas stove on the tailgate. Wouldnt want it too close to the canvas if your setup folds out the side.

Naturally I do not not promote cooking inside a closed in annex. Besides the obvious dangers, grease all over canvas..... not good.

Yonnee
30th Jun 2010, 06:31 PM
My concern with a side opening tailgate, particularly with the weight of a camping kitchen is the original trailer's upright that you mount the tailgate hinges to. Most of the cheaper trailers don't have much meat in this area and I'd be concerned as to the strength long term.

One thing that's always intrigued me... other than the obvious increased storage capacity, why the higher sides on a camper in the first place? It can't be to clear the guards. And it makes it more difficult to climb into bed. Maybe Jatt can answer that one...
Maybe it's to do with the camper to pitself, although I have seen camper tops on standard height trailers.

jatt
1st Jul 2010, 08:07 AM
My concern with a side opening tailgate, particularly with the weight of a camping kitchen is the original trailer's upright that you mount the tailgate hinges to. Most of the cheaper trailers don't have much meat in this area and I'd be concerned as to the strength long term.

Good point. All I can say there is keep it lite. 1.6 mm sheet is surprisingly strong once bent into shape, add a strengthing rib into it. Some go nuts here and make way too heavy. U arent trying to keep cattle contained inside. Wouldnt store canned goods or anything heavy in a tailgate mounted kitchen box. A basic box with a sml gas cooker and room for one of those removeable plastic sinks is usually enough.

One thing that's always intrigued me... other than the obvious increased storage capacity, why the higher sides on a camper in the first place? It can't be to clear the guards. And it makes it more difficult to climb into bed.

Theres no fancy reason for it. As you said its only for storage capacity. Done a few on the standard 300mm side trailer. Hinging the top can help wrt to accessing inside the trailer or gas bottles/water tank fillers from the side.

Maybe it's to do with the camper to pitself, although I have seen camper tops on standard height trailers.

Of course if one is trying to match a pre-existing top then the trailer needs to match.
The ones I do in the shop are individually made to suit a particular trailer.