PDA

View Full Version : scaled down dog trailer

jatt
2nd May 2010, 09:34 AM
I'm sure we have all seen the dog trailers towed behind a truck, but what about a scaled down version to tow behind my Ford Falcon ute? Electric brakes on all 4 wheels, perhaps a 5th wheeler style turntable on the front axle?

Idea came about after the feasability of towing a 5th wheeler with ute got knocked on the head due to weight restrictions for towing of my ute. (Ford Longreach/Tradesman 1 tonne)

Unless I'm missing something here to tow a 5th wheeler I need to either buy a truck, F150 (or equivalent) ute, or a 4wd ute. This would be my sole vehicle so it has to have a roof rack for work and fit under a low roller door at home, not to mention squeeze into the dreaded underground suburban carparks.

The trailer is no problem, just park it across town at work.

Thoughts.

nihilism
2nd May 2010, 03:36 PM
I'm no expert and i don't know the legalities but just trying to clarify what you're actually trying to achive;

Firstly, you would do away with the need to fit a turntable to the ute, which would be good and a reasonable aim.
Secondly, you would decrease the weight added to the rear axle of the ute.
However, are you realy going to increase the towing capacity of the ute?

soundman
2nd May 2010, 03:53 PM
Regardless of what the trailer configuration... the alowable towing capacity remains the same.

I also have considered the legality of light dog trailers.

Apart from the practicality issues..I cant see whay they would not be legal.

The RNA in brisbale have several flat bed dog trailers they have been towing arround for decades...I know some of them are registered and are towd on the road.

On the way home last week I saw a mowing contractor towing an all ally dog trailer with some sort of SUV..looked expensive....and a bit odd.

the biggest issue is the extra weight involved with making the front steer and be secure.....It isn't a problem for the RNA...because thru the year they only load these things lightly....show time with road closures they load em up to what they will carry..which is heaps.

cheers

zuffen
2nd May 2010, 06:41 PM
I've seen 4 wheeled car trailers set up like this.

Makes them lower in the load area and they should steer well enough.

Well designed they shouldn't weigh any more than a normal trailer of the same size.

Personally I would lean toward a 4 well conventional trailer as the only drawback I see is the deck height to clear the axles.

A dog tailer with ALKO rubber suspension would be interesting as you could get the floor really low.

Grahame Collins
2nd May 2010, 09:39 PM
Home built Trailers fall under this set of regs

http://www.alltrailerspares.com.au/html/Building%20Small%20Trailers.pdf

If it has not been posted before.
Anyway what's the scaled down dog you mentioned- a Chihuahua?:D

jatt
2nd May 2010, 11:10 PM
Its just something I have been thinking about out aloud. Of course the 5th wheeler setup puts a lot of weight onto the rear axle being a scaled down version of a semi. However, from all accounts I am hearing they do tow quite well when compared to a heavy trailer, float or caravan that's hooked to a rear towbar.

Yeah should have thought the GVM thing thru a bit better, but hey its just that at this point....an idea.

In an ideal world I would just buy a second vehicle suited to towing a 5th wheeler or a darn well truck and be done with it.

Had a few come into the yard to have work done on them in the past. Bit of a bugger to move around the yard without having a suitable setup on a vehicle.

Anyway what's the scaled down dog you mentioned- a Chihuahua?

More a Dashhound. Low stance under the belly, long in the back.:)

Yonnee
3rd May 2010, 05:31 PM
I was trying to get my head around a scaled-down dog float, when they're not that large to begin with... then I realised 'dog trailer' as opposed to 'pig trailer'. :doh:

I'm not quite sure of your concern with the weight of a 5th wheeler type trailer. The payload capacity of a Falcon 1 tonner is just that... 1000kg. So it stands to reason that the allowable limit for the hitch weight of a 5th wheeler should be close to that, compared to the towball limit on the towbar of around 200Kg. You don't have to put the 5th wheeler wheels all the way to the rear... even a 1/5th or 1/4 the way up will reduce the front hitch weight. And I have seen a few Falcon Ute 5th wheelers here in Victoria, so it is legal, however some were 2x6 conversions (second lazy rear axle).

Where the hitch is placed has a bearing on how you can tow it too. It has to be behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle, otherwise you're called a Combination vehicle and may require a Combination License.

As for your dog trailer type, try searching ackerman steering... there's a little bit to getting the steering geometry right.

Dashhound... or Dachshund?

jatt
3rd May 2010, 07:18 PM
The payload capacity of a Falcon 1 tonner is just that... 1000kg. So it stands to reason that the allowable limit for the hitch weight of a 5th wheeler should be close to that, compared to the towball limit on the towbar of around 200Kg.

Makes sense. Seen one setup where a brace was run between the chassis rails (looked like a heavy length of flat from above) and a large towball attached to it. The only protrusion into the tub was the actual ball.

Where the hitch is placed has a bearing on how you can tow it too. It has to be behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle, otherwise you're called a Combination vehicle and may require a Combination License.

If everything works out recon I would get an experieced and licenced bod to fit one up for me.

Yonnee
3rd May 2010, 10:35 PM
If everything works out recon I would get an experieced and licenced bod to fit one up for me.

I meant, to be able to drive it. Word is that if the hitch is in front of the axle, it's an articulated vehicle.

jatt
4th May 2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/button2/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f184/scaled-down-dog-trailer-117104/#post1147600)

I meant, to be able to drive it. Word is that if the hitch is in front of the axle, it's an articulated vehicle.

No worries Yonnee I caught the drift the first time. I meant it as let them work out a suitable point as in placement (keeping in mind the in front of the axle combination thing) to attach the hitch. It would be a hit and miss thing to attempt myself, not to mention a bad idea. Sometimes I'm happy to pay for someone elses expertise.

Does the place you work get into this kind of thing?