PDA

View Full Version : trailer costs...

Tor
7th Apr 2010, 09:16 PM
SWMBO has started asking awkward questions regarding the cost of building the trailer when I can buy one built by professionals who get trade prices on their steel and do this all the time (or import them from China).

Forget the fact that I'll be using quality materials, non standard design and the pleasure/satisfaction I will get from building it (although I'm told that the time I save I can spend on my other projects).

I don't have a final design but basically it's a 7x4 trailer (for camper top) with a 9 foot drawbar (to make space for box, pole tubes and 5 bike racks) plus a double canoe rack overhead (think similar to tinnie rack). I'm thinking IRS because I can and brakes because it may be close to the weight. I'll need to include a spare wheel too and propose to use standard commodore hubs/wheels/tires.

My budget for the trailer is $2000-2500 am I dreaming? and if I am what compromises will I need to make to get it down to this figure.

This should get me a completed custom camper trailer for around $5000 which I'll be happy with...

Thanks in anticipation of some words of "encouragement":roll:

Tor

Yonnee
8th Apr 2010, 12:30 AM
I'm in the final stages of building for a customer (backyard job in my own time) an 8'x4'6" box trailer with 18" sides, 5' drawbar, Electric brakes and LEDautolamps taillights for well under $2000 in materials. So I think you have more than a chance of coming under $2500.

My tips;
- Buy your RHS in lengths. It's cheaper than buying it by the metre. Work out your cutting list for your chassis and get it to fit 8M lengths, then just buy enough in lengths.
- Get all your trailer stuff from one place. Preferably try and find a place that actually manufactures the axles rather than a place that puts a mark up on someone elses. They should then be able to do guards, sides, tailgates, pre folded light boxes, and everything else as a package deal.

- Don't under estimate getting a ready made trailer and then modifying it to your needs. I've just had a look and found plenty of 7x4's on ebay, many well under the $1000 mark, some even new. From this you change the drawbar and axle and you're done.