PDA

View Full Version : independant suspension

Tor
23rd Mar 2010, 10:27 PM
Trailer building is something I've just started to think about since I built another canoe and they won't both fit on top of the car.

So first trailer ideas are fermenting.

If I use a "torsion bar" style suspension will this give me a deeper trailer.

I'm looking at a camper trailer idea so need a 7x4 trailer with a 1070/1080 height and want to maximise the tub/storage area depth.

I also want a really long draw bar so that the canoes can be carried properly and also carry up to 5 bikes on the draw bar.

Almost like a boat trailer with a camper bit on the back.

I know these are fairly broad ideas but can anyone see any issues that I'm heading towards?

Thanks

Yonnee
24th Mar 2010, 01:03 PM
The "depth" of the trailer is whatever you want to make it, irrespective of the type of suspension, but an Independant Rubber Suspension axle will give you a lower centre of gravity, a lower trailer, and a slightly higher ground clearance. As for the camper, you'll either need to make the trailer first and get the camper top made to suit the height, or buy the camper top, then build the chassis complete with suspension choice, then make the tub height to suit the camper top.

Have a look at Dazzlers Camper (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f184/all-wheel-drive-camper-trailer-111275/) with the roof rack setup over the top of the camper. This might give some options and ideas.

surfin
24th Mar 2010, 03:40 PM
How long are the canoes?

Like Yonnee has suggested I think putting the canoes above the camper would be the best solution, and this can then flip to one side to get the camper to fold out.

This way you don't need an overly long drawbar, your bikes can go on there without the canoes running into them, and you can fill the trailer up with camping stuff etc

Tor
24th Mar 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Yonnee,

Dazzlers trailer is a neat bit of work.

My requirements are slightly larger :rolleyes:

I'll have to get a mate of mine to draw something up or I might even have to sketch something with a pencil :oo:

I need to get all the stuff dazzler has on the rack under the tent (or forward of the tent), two 16' canoes on top and 5 bikes.

We're a family of 5, 2 adults 3 growing kids there's a lot of stuff to drag around for the next few years...

Be good if we can build it to do the big trip, current towing vehicle is 2000 Outback next vehicle is under discussion but could well be another crossover type wagon.

I'll go away and draw :U

09sr5
28th Mar 2010, 09:46 PM
Next vehicle SYII territory?

Tor
29th Mar 2010, 09:42 PM
Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Roadside Dead
Found On Rubbish Dump

Found On Richmans Driveway - see 1 above

Sorry owned 1970's Fords in a damp environment and I never recovered...