PDA

View Full Version : Trailer springs

Tigershark
25th Feb 2010, 01:42 PM
hello I have recently built a single axial trailer with 8 leaf double eye springs rated to 1950kgs. the problem Im having is that when I fill the trailer { not to capasity } and go over bumps the springs lock into position on the back hanger almost like a cam effect. I really dont want to change the setup as it would be a real drama. the question I have, is it possible to just weld a steel block to the chassis to limit the travel of the spring hanger or is there some other meathod to correct this problem. ?

Ps I know I have not loaded the trailer up to the spring limits

Claw Hama
25th Feb 2010, 02:23 PM
I have seen large rubber chocks go in for similar problems, a photo would be good.

Dave J
25th Feb 2010, 03:23 PM
Hi,
Wihout a picture as already said it's hard to give advice but I will give it a go.
Is it when you take the load off the axle that the rear hangers come forward towards the axle and go up to the chassis and lock in that position. If so I can not see a problem putting somthing there to stop it.
If it's locking as it goes to the rear you won't be able to put anything there as you will over stress the springs as they need to stretch.
Dave