PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Jayco Camper trailer

Calm
2nd Feb 2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry photo's later

I am trying to repair a jayco camper trailer, the boards (inside the aluminium) on the wind up top have rotted on the corners so i thought remove the top buy new Marine ply glue in and its fixed.

First problem - the long side are 2.5 metres long so i need 2 peices 2500mm x 200mm x 15mm or 18mm for the 2 sides the ends are shorter so will come out of the same sheet or i can buy shorter sheets for that.

Help who sells marine ply longer than 2.4 metres - 10 phone calls in Ballarat revealed NO ONE.

TIA

Cheers

Calm
2nd Feb 2010, 12:03 PM
here is some pics

rsser
2nd Feb 2010, 12:11 PM
See what you can learn from Plyco in Thornbury David.

Calm
2nd Feb 2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ern that revealed a product Hardwood Exterior ply available in 3000 x 1200 x 18 mm sheets - Marine ply only 2400 sheets

Cheers

Calm
2nd Feb 2010, 12:30 PM
How would i go cutting and laminating 6 mm peices 3 layers thick
- bottom 2 peices end to end 1500 x 200 x 6 and 1000 x 200 x 6
- middle 2 peices end to end 1250 x 200 and 1250 x 200
- top 2 peices end to end 1000 x 200 and 1500 x 200

This will give me the 2500 length i need but will it be strong enough not to bow in the middle when the top is down and say a "tinny" boat on top of that.

What glue to laminate Titebond 3 ?

Cheers

Calm
2nd Feb 2010, 05:14 PM
Just had a thought - if i buy a sheet of 2400 x 1200 x 18 mm and cut it on the diagonal would i get 2 boards 2500 long x 200 wide (one each side of the corner to corner line) or is the board not stable on the diagonal?

CHeers

Calm
2nd Feb 2010, 07:45 PM
Bump any help on this guys

marker
2nd Feb 2010, 09:21 PM
David
Use a scarf joint 8: 1 ratio and glue with epoxy .
Making plywood scarf and butt joints (http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/scarf-butt.html)
Mark

Strom
3rd Feb 2010, 12:07 AM
Hi..
Have you considered a James Hardie product instead of ply many of there external cladding / flooring range comes in lengths of 2700 X 600 X 19 would save you having to to make joints.. and would last longer than ply..
Call me stupid but it may even look nicer !!!

(I know this is a Wood Working Forum so I will probably be banished from the Forum for suggesting such an atrocity) :no:

Good Luck... :2tsup:

jatt
5th Feb 2010, 08:26 PM
How about planing down some hardwood?

Here's one that came into the shop a while ago. I know its a different make of van and the curve of the roof etc....., but it may give u some ideas. Certainly strengthens up a roof.

jatt
6th Feb 2010, 07:54 AM
What I would do is sus out a caravan repairer in your area, buy something off them (caravans always need something) and pick their brains. Cant help u with any in your local area (only know the ones in Bendigo).

Failing that maybe go talk to the guys at Go Towing. They're down your way. They may be able to point out someone who can help. Sorry I cant help u more. I'm more familiar with the canvas side of things.

Sorry if I go a bit off topic here. Fortunately u can buy the plastic bit that holds up the canvas side and curtain and the plastic stuff that attaches to the canvas down the bottom.

Has the short piece of wall from the front to the door sagged? Noticed some that come into the shop (not just JAycos) have this happen to them over time.

Calm
6th Feb 2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your thoughts & sugestions

Well work got in the way again - i still reckon work is so overrated - stops you doing stuff at home. :((:((

So went today and bought 2 sheets of marine ply 2400 x 1200. I will get the two 2500 x 200 side peices on the diagonal - one from each sheet and the two 2050 x 200 from one of the sheets - cost $250 for the ply but i guess i have some good shelving material left over.

after i cut them i am going to paint them in estapol or whatever i can find to seal them then glue and screw together.

There were large staples (about every 125mm ) holding the sides to the top (i will use countersunk screws about every 200mm. (can be seen in photos)

Then there was small staples holding the aluminium to the ply - not sure what to use or maybe just glue and rely on the edgings to clamp and hold. --Is there a staple or fixing nail gun i could borrow/hire from a tool joint?

Trouble is off to Adelaide about 2 pm tomorrow so bloody work gets in the road agin. anyway hopefully it will be cut and painted before then.

all advice considered

Cheers

munruben
15th Feb 2010, 12:27 PM
Quite a task there David. How is it going?

Calm
15th Feb 2010, 10:18 PM
Quite a task there David. How is it going?

Haven't touched it in a couple of weeks - something came up - should have more time soon.

Cheers

bsrlee
17th Feb 2010, 08:53 PM
Looking at the rot problem - get a few litres of 'Boat Cote' epoxy & paint the ends of the new boards with that (use a throw away brush). That should slow the rot right down - it is of course almost impossible to water proof the corners due to the design.

Of course, you can use the Bote Cote to glue various bits together too.

As for the staples, if you can't find matching small staples, I'd suggest fitting up the boards, then drill through the same holes & use galvanised wire to make new ties, just cut the legs a good bit longer & bend them over on the inside. If you are worried about exposed wire ends, just cover with good quality cloth 'duct' tape.

Did I mention, you can use even more Bote Cote to paint over everything as waterproofing .....

Calm
2nd Mar 2010, 06:16 PM
So the top is finished to put back on - one problem forgot to take WIP while assembling but here are some photos that i did get.

The boards 2 x 2050 and 2 x 2500 were cut from 2 sheets of 2400 x 1200 marine ply 18mm thick.

the diagonal gave me almost the 2500 full board with a bit glued on the bottom corner one end of each board.
131162 131163

some of the inside and outside corners assembled

131164 131165 131166 131167

As with all jobs you need to buy tools to do it - in this case i thought i needed one of these

Apologies to all - i saw this on Ebay and it must have slipped my mind to alert everyone to the upcoming sale :D:D sorry about that.

DJ’s Timber
2nd Mar 2010, 06:21 PM
As with all jobs you need to buy tools to do it - in this case i thought i needed one of these

You better change your user title from Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D to Domino Owner and proud of it

:D

Groggy
2nd Mar 2010, 06:26 PM
I am not surprised you bought one. I am surprised it took so long :rolleyes:

Calm
2nd Mar 2010, 06:35 PM
DJ & Greg - wait for it the toys tools are getting bigger and more exy too. more later in the week.

cheers

D. Hanna
11th Mar 2010, 08:31 PM
Sorry photo's later

I am trying to repair a jayco camper trailer, the boards (inside the aluminium) on the wind up top have rotted on the corners so i thought remove the top buy new Marine ply glue in and its fixed.

First problem - the long side are 2.5 metres long so i need 2 peices 2500mm x 200mm x 15mm or 18mm for the 2 sides the ends are shorter so will come out of the same sheet or i can buy shorter sheets for that.

Help who sells marine ply longer than 2.4 metres - 10 phone calls in Ballarat revealed NO ONE.

TIA

Cheers

Hi there and welcome to the world of repairing a Jayco Camper! I'm just in the process of doing just that on my Jayco "Jayhawk" which was the largest of the camper trailers with the tandem axle.

The roof boards had rotted all around due to it being outside uncovered for many years. The side boards are around 4300 long and were two shorter sheets joined in the centre by no less than 40 staples both sides. No glue was ever used. Whilst all was well when kept dry, the unsealed timber soaked up the water.

I have noticed your post above where you used 18 mm rather than the 1/2". The original sides are 1/2" ply. Thicker would require clearance for the posts as well the longitudinal roof frame at the top to get the outside of the roof to line up correctly with the bottom sides. The seal extrusion also is only 1/2" wide so it may now be outside the sides when closed.

I have scarfed the two shorter side boards 100mm and glued with slow epoxy. The sides and ends have been sealed completely prior to re assembly with an oil based sealer. Rather than staple it all back as original, stainless steel screws every 150mm hold the ply firmly in place. As I had the roof sheeting off, I also epoxied 100 x 100 triangle braces into each corner of the top.

Worthwhile renewing the rubber seal around the top. About $7 / metre from Jayco but well worth it.

Rather than use the narrow crown staples I used 12mm x 12 long ones as used by some picture framers. The ones in the top are normal steel ones as they should be away from the moisture and the ones near the seal are stainless steel. They shot through the two layers of aluminium ok at 100 psi.

Regards

DH