PDA

View Full Version : Camper build

yaryetnom
20th Dec 2009, 12:46 PM
Hello ,

Got some bits together for a camper build. I have a question about mounting the springs. They have a clamp not from the eye on the right but not the left

Is this the correct way to mount them if the front of the trailer is to the right? Any advice gratefully accepted

Yonnee
21st Dec 2009, 11:09 PM
OK, with the front of the trailer to the right, the way you have the springs setup is correct.

However... the spacing between the hangers is not.

Firstly some terminology. The 'U' shaped piece at the front of the spring is the Hanger. The piece of tube at the rear welded to the piece of flat is either the 'Rear eye to eye Hanger' or the Dumbjack. The two flat pieces either side of the Dumbjack, connecting it to the rear eye of the spring are Shackle plates, and are designated by the bolt hole size.

Now, the setting up. The front Hanger should be attached so that the axle location point (the bolt in the middle of the spring) is 1/2 an inch to the rear of centre, for every foot of trailer body (excluding the drawbar). So, a 7x4 trailer, the axle is 3-1/2 inches rearward of centre.
Then, with an Eye to Eye spring, the centre of the dumbjack is placed 25mm behind the centre of the rear spring hole. So in your picture, a vertical line through both of the bolts at the rear of the spring on the left, should be 25mm apart, with the dumbjack being further back.

Hope this helps.

Yonnee.

yaryetnom
22nd Dec 2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks Yonnee,

Going to set them up today.

Regards,
Ray

yaryetnom
23rd Dec 2009, 11:06 AM
Love these days at home.

It is up on wheels. Next step attach jockey wheel. Go get a water tank & install. Then spare wheel carrier on draw bar to counter act weight of water tank.

Then got to make a decision on imported tent or locally manufactured. Leaning to local but about 2 x $$$.

PS is this chain a bit light for a safety chain?http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

rsser
23rd Dec 2009, 12:20 PM
Looking good.

Re Chinese canvas, there seems to be enough satisfied users out there - but I leaned to Australian too when I bought my CT. Heavy weight so doesn't flap around much and it's survived some high winds.

munruben
23rd Dec 2009, 03:53 PM
Looks great. :2tsup:

Yonnee
23rd Dec 2009, 06:12 PM
They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I shouldn't need much more than this...
:brava:clap::wave:

Yonnee. :2tsup:

Oh, and don't worry about the spare wheel balancing the water tank... your chain will do just fine! :doh:

jatt
23rd Dec 2009, 07:04 PM
Yes I have a vested interest.

I would buy a good secondhand Aussie made tent with OZ made canvas before I touched a Chinese one. If u plan on taking your camper to the tropics I cant stress enough, dont go for the Chinese stuff.

Whatever u buy take a good look at the fall of the roof before hand. ie is it going to turn into a swimming pool after a decent downpour. Seen a few made by other manufacturers come thru the door with the owner complaining of just that, a wading pool in the roof.

If it was me would chase the tent bit now before making sides for the trailer. U need to know the drop between the bed base and the ground.

Recommend if u r going to put stabiliser legs on the trailer they are done at this stage. Why, cause I recon its easier to now than later.

Definetely make up some stone protection for the water tank.

Good luck with your project.

dazzler
10th Jan 2010, 01:09 PM
Hi

take a look at the oztent range of camper trailer tents. Yes they are made in china however managed by a western company. We have the camper 7 and am very impressed (and I am pretty picky) with both the quality of the canvas and the manufacture.

I think they would sit half way between the chinese ebay type of tent and an australian custom made one.

Have fun!

dazzler
10th Jan 2010, 01:11 PM
And I see you welded the drawbar into the front spring hangers.

Good Man :2tsup:

Have you welded the jockey wheel on yet?

yaryetnom
10th Jan 2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Still puzzling over the tent.

Jatt if I could find a good second hand aussie made tent I would consider that but haven't been able to locate one.

Dazzler I have been thinking about the oztrail 9' as well.

I have been waiting for a local manufacturer to start back up after xmas. He's back tomorrow & he had a demo tent he may do a deal on. He uses 11 ounce aussie canvas which appeals to me for weight reduction & easier handling. I considered the tent offered by Austrack but Kevin advised me I would find it difficult to set up alone. He has some 7' ones comming in Feb & a better price than the Oztrail. The other tent he supplies has some good reviews and his customer service is good.

Yep welded the jockey wheel on but on the opposite side to where I had it clamped. Probably should have waited as I have made it tight to fit a stoneguard but I am sure I will solve that.

Yep put the stabiliser legs on after one of those :B :doh: moments. And I'm not explaining!:no:

Had a look at a tent on a Johnnos trailer & if the budget allowed I would seriously consider one of them as the ease of set up is so important for our use.

Made the water tank mounts & yet to make a guard for it.

Ray

jatt
11th Jan 2010, 06:54 PM
He uses 11 ounce aussie canvas I really hate this. :(( Its a play on words

Ask this guy if this canvas is weighed before or after the proofing is applied. I recon its actually 8 ounce. How it works is reputable manufacturers weigh their canvas whilst it is still in its "loom State". Once stuff like proofing, UV stabilisers are added them the weight is higher ie 11 ounce.

8 ounce for the walls and 12 for the roof works quite well.

Yep put the stabiliser legs on after one of those http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/blush-anim-cl.gif http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/doh.gif moments. And I'm not explaining!

Yes I have done this myself.

yaryetnom
11th Jan 2010, 07:31 PM
The canvas he uses looks & feels the goods.

The finish of the tent looks good as well, however, budget will determine what I get & its leaning towards imported despite my preference for a local made product.

jatt
12th Jan 2010, 05:21 PM
One option to help keep the initial cost down is to purchase the top with only an awning, or even just the tent. At the same time check to see if walls can be added later. All the better if both sides of the zip are attached. Walls can be made/purchased later if required. If only one side of zip is attached then of couse its harder to know if a standard size zip thats available in oz has been used.

There are several manufacturers who have a setup similar to the above. If a customer shows up with just a tent or complete with awning (so long as theres no zip issues) no worries we just make it up in the shop. The machinists here have done plenty.

yaryetnom
16th Jan 2010, 06:40 PM
Making some progress. The body is only tacked up. I might hire a small mig to weld it up.

yaryetnom
6th Apr 2010, 10:03 PM
Finally got the tent, went with a 9 foot from Austrac in Hervey Bay.

I set it up as in the photos the struts work well.

Removed it, without setting the tent up, for some more welding & painting. I was going to say final welding & painting but I know there will surely be mods after some outings.

Regards,
Ray

jatt
7th Apr 2010, 08:37 PM
If you are going to store your camper outside I would throw a tarp over it. Remember its the only thing stopping your camper from getting wet and possibly mouldy. Every so often I would check under the cover to see if rain/condensation is present.

Am happy to relieve a bloke of a few hundred dollars to replace a cover, done over 10 already this year, :Ubut lets face it your money is better off in your pocket than mine.

Another thing I would do is consider putting lattice (the cheapo pine stuff will do) under your mattress. Reason ---- ventillation. I proved this point to myself when my double camp stretcher got mouldy under the mattress (and this was inside a house). In the shop we put marine carpet on top of the bed base, but if I was gonna take it camping I would still chuck on some lattice.

Happy travels.

yaryetnom
7th Apr 2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks Jatt,

It will live in the shed in the photo. This is the wife's shed:; My workshop shed is out the back.

I was wondering about the condensation. I was thinking holes in the bed base but I like your solution.

Regards,
Ray

yaryetnom
14th May 2010, 08:09 PM
Decided not to put final coat of paint until I used the trailer to see what else I would need to change.

Hooked the trailer up & went for a couple of nights at Murphy's Creek Reserve (near Toowoomba) this week.

Photo of the stand & steps made for the boss to get in & out of the bed easily. These need to be more compact/collapsible although plenty of room in the Ute for them.

Local wildlife visited the tent looking for a feed.

Got a list of gunnados including building the kitchen.

Ray

danielhobby
14th May 2010, 10:30 PM
you poor bugger,being forced to camp there in that spot,i bet you had to drink copius amounts of amber to cope with the pressure of it all:welldone:

jatt
14th May 2010, 10:59 PM
If you havent done so already I recommend placing a tarp on the ground before setting the camper. Better still the perforated rubber stuff. Sharp rocks can be nasty.