PDA

View Full Version : Building a Trailer from Damaged caravan

StrathfieldMens
18th Dec 2009, 05:14 PM
I am looking at building an enclosed trailer to take a small open wheel racing car (FVee, weighs about 400kg) as the price of enclosed car trailers is astronomical.

My plan was to buy an old or damaged dual axle caravan, about 17 foot long and strip it down to the chassis and then install an aluminium chequer plate or plywood floor. If possible I would then use the existing frame and external wall covering and rebuild the van installing a bench and storage.

Any suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated. In particular is my plan feasible or as they say in the classics am I dreaming.

rsser
18th Dec 2009, 05:28 PM
Interesting idea.

The walls of vans AFAIK are just sandwich foam and alloy sheet. Robbo can tell us more.

So I'd say there wouldn't be much structural strength if you had a chunk out of one.

China
18th Dec 2009, 10:33 PM
As rsser said carvans are of mono constuction, basicly they rely on being in one piece to stay rigid, same as the winscreen on a modern car is part of the structure, If you obtain one cheap enough you would most lkely save a fair bit on axle's, wheels and brakes, brakes would need a rebuild. Then you would have to build your own frame, I don't think you will get much out of the cladding

wonka
19th Dec 2009, 09:48 AM
I am sure you would be better to start from scratch and build a custom trailer to suit,What car are you going to tow it with ,how far etc. You could build the chassis out of 75mm x 50mm x 2.5mm,drawbar 100mm x 50mm x 3mm, if the car only weigh 400kg plus whatever spares etc ,you could get away with a single 45mm square axle and run ford bearing on the hub,electric brakes are the only way to go. I have built 6 car trailers and all have been to suit a particular car . For the cladding there are now a few options, Rebound Truck Bodies in Brisbane have these kits that are a honeycomb sandwich that slot together are seamless and they have special corners etc, they look very professional. Otherwise you could construct an metal rhs frame and sheet with ally etc. Just remember most caravans have a timber frame usually made out of 50mm x 25mm timber, they are not ideal to hang tyre racks or benches on.

Also most caravans would need some work done to the floor as they are not designed to have a car sitting on it.

munruben
19th Dec 2009, 05:31 PM
Just remember most caravans have a timber frame usually made out of 50mm x 25mm timber, they are not ideal to hang tyre racks or benches on.
Also most caravans would need some work done to the floor as they are not designed to have a car sitting on it.If you can get hold of an old Viscount or Millard, they had alluminium frames and some had galvernized chassis. The floor would be the biggest problem I think. Definitely not designed for the task you had in mind and would need work done to make it suitable.

wheelinround
19th Dec 2009, 05:42 PM
Chassis and main frame would need re-enforcing just for the weight of the checker plate.
Id hunt around for 2nd hand off sales sights. Axles and springs also to weak. Better of grabbing a truck tray and working down to the ground.

Yonnee
21st Dec 2009, 10:42 PM
I am looking at building an enclosed trailer to take a small open wheel racing car (FVee, weighs about 400kg) as the price of enclosed car trailers is astronomical.

My plan was to buy an old or damaged dual axle caravan, about 17 foot long and strip it down to the chassis and then install an aluminium chequer plate or plywood floor. If possible I would then use the existing frame and external wall covering and rebuild the van installing a bench and storage.

Any suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated. In particular is my plan feasible or as they say in the classics am I dreaming.

Horses for courses...

In your case, a Formula Vee weighing less than half a tonne, I couldn't see much of a drama making your idea come to fruition. However picking the right chassis to start with will be the key. Some caravans have a reasonable chassis to start with, and may only require a few extra rails to strengthen where the vehicle will sit (bear in mind the weight of the vehicle will be sitting at the width of its tyres). Other caravans (Viscount Aerolite for example) are built with a pressed metal chassis that doesn't even hold the weight of the Van itself let alone another 500Kg! (But that's another story for another day.)
The other thing will be the width of the FVee compared to the inside width of the caravans mudguards. The car will either need to be narrow enough to be inside them, or the guards built strong enough to drive over them, otherwise you'll be tail heavy and she'll want to overtake you at speed.

Another thing to bear in mind too. A caravan cheap enough to be a cost effective excersize, will probably only have over-ride brakes, and a "Composite" axle with a 1250Kg rating.
Registration will be an interesting excersize too, as Caravans have a different VIN number allocation to trailers for carrying vehicles.

So, If you're looking to have sleeping quaters that can carry a car, then the right caravan as a starting point could certainly do the job seeing as they're already insulated and have power and water built in. But if you require just a mobile car carrying workshop, then building one would be a better long term proposition with fewer compromises.

StrathfieldMens
22nd Dec 2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

After further deliberation and noting the comments of the various respondents I have come to the conclusion that it would be best to build from scratch.

I saw a trailer advertised on gumtree as similar size to what I propose for $4500, as I have access to all a wide range of professional grade metalwork tools, power saws, grinders and welders of various types and people with knowledge how to use them through the menshed, I think with assistance I could build something similar.

Looking at Marshall Engineering website a dual axle kit and other accessories should be slightly over $2000 (is there a business similar in Sydney). Most of the steel I can source second hand so hopefully the total cost will come in at about $3500 which compares favourably with those available on the various websites.

A question for Yonnee or others with experience, I am comfortable with using used steel for the chassis and wall frame but would it be advisable to use new steel for the draw bar as it will be under most stress and the additional cost would be negligible in the overall cost.

I was hoping to clad it in polished aluminium sheet (like the old style caravans) Does anyone know where I could obtain this (are there aircraft wreckers )

I shall work on a plan over Xmas and put it up for comment in the new year,

Thanks to everyone

Yonnee
22nd Dec 2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

After further deliberation and noting the comments of the various respondents I have come to the conclusion that it would be best to build from scratch.

I saw a trailer advertised on gumtree as similar size to what I propose for $4500, as I have access to all a wide range of professional grade metalwork tools, power saws, grinders and welders of various types and people with knowledge how to use them through the menshed, I think with assistance I could build something similar.

Looking at Marshall Engineering website a dual axle kit and other accessories should be slightly over $2000 (is there a business similar in Sydney).
Unfortunately Melbourne Trailers are based here in Melbourne, but you could try AL-KO International, as they have a branch in Sydney. As Melbourne Trailers are the Dexter agent, and AL-KO are the Kelsey agent as well as their own brand, just about anyone else you'll be paying for their cut of the Electric Brake parts of the axle.

Most of the steel I can source second hand so hopefully the total cost will come in at about $3500 which compares favourably with those available on the various websites.

A question for Yonnee or others with experience, I am comfortable with using used steel for the chassis and wall frame but would it be advisable to use new steel for the draw bar as it will be under most stress and the additional cost would be negligible in the overall cost.
Depends on what you mean by "Used", and what it was used for. Technically it's second hand once you bring it home from the steel suppliers. If you can get two pieces the same length and size to used as a drawbar without having to join pieces together, then I wouldn't have a problem using it, however, if it were a piece dragged from a back paddock that "only looked rusty on the outside", then I'd have second thoughts.

Then again, if a new piece is within the budget, then it should be a 'no-brainer'.

I was hoping to clad it in polished aluminium sheet (like the old style caravans) Does anyone know where I could obtain this (are there aircraft wreckers )

I shall work on a plan over Xmas and put it up for comment in the new year,

Thanks to everyone

black1
9th Jan 2010, 02:03 AM
why not strip out the inside of the van, put a roller door in the back with some ramps and then you could use use it as a trailer to get there, and a caravan when you get to where you are racing. to beef up the floor you could use plywood sprip as wide as you need. get a rollllout tarp on the side as a garage when ya get there and you will have ya own dressing room as well as a kitchen if it was already up front of the van.:cool:

damian
11th Jan 2010, 09:46 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I ahve to wonder if any of you have ever actually stripped a caravan ?

I built my flat bed trailer out of an old van. It had a chassis far stronger than it needed for my purposes and for carrying a small race car. It also had a steel frame within the walls/roof, with aluminium cladding outside, plywood inside and foam in the spaces of the framing. It had a heavy ply floor which was probably strong enough for a small race car.

I'm not suggesting every van is built this way, but they certainly aren't all "monocoque" or "foam".

The trouble is if your buying a wreck it'll either be damaged or more likely rotten. There was a LOT of rust and rot in my van, so those parts were scrapped.

I stripped it to the chassis and fitted an old aluminium truck tray to it. It would be easy enough to build a plywood box with a fold down door/ramp at the rear, with a solid support frame and glass it all over for waterproofing.

I fitted new bearings/tyres and shoes to mine in december in prep for a trip to dorrigo, but by and large the trailer is perfectly servicable despite being about 25 years old.

StrathfieldMens
12th Jan 2010, 09:17 AM
Damian and others,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

In regard to converting a caravan that was my first idea. I looked at some potentially suitable vans on ebay, they were about 20 ft long with dual wheels.
Unfortunately when you looked at the chassis they looked so flimsy, just 2 two longitudinal side members with full width cross members, all in C section. I am sure Yonnee and others would not even think it suitable for a wheelbarrow chassis let alone a trailer

The other option would be to build a new chassis and mount the van on to it (providing it had an aluminium frame), depending on the price paid for the van this might be the best option as much of the interior could be used ( I only want basic living facilities with a new shower and toilet )

At this stage I will probably start on a open dual wheel trailer about 4.5 - 5 metres with a large lockable container at the front with I metre high metal sides and a canvas tonneau cover over the car.

I am not keen on 4wd's and this should be light enough for a Falcon/Commodore